• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    So I dug out my dad's old .54 TC Hawken. I haven't fired this thing in about 23 years. There was alittle surface rust on the barrel but that cleaned up easily enough.

I'm thinking about taking her out sometime in the future -- I've been relearning BP basics and reading through the .54 manual on Thompson Center's site.

I'm wondering if I should take it somewhere to have the bore checked out. Based on the surface rust there could be some in the bore -- and there probably is *some* in there. About how much does it cost to have someone scope it out?

Thanks.

D.

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    You can do that yourself,they sell a bore light that you drop down the barrel to give you a view of the groove and lands. I picked mine up at HNP

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    I had some light rust in my TC .50 Hawken, and I cleaned it up but putting a bronze brush on a long rod that connected to a drill, and then I ran that up and down the bore, and then I cleaned the bore with bore cleaner until it looked good. It did not take a whole lot to clean the bore up.

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    I was thinking more for safety. Is that something you can eyeball? Light pitting ok? I assume that as long as the groves and lands are good you're good to go?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I was thinking more for safety. Is that something you can eyeball? Light pitting ok? I assume that as long as the groves and lands are good you're good to go?

Typically light pitting doesnt hurt anything..heavy rust I would be leary and take it to a gunsmith...take a look for obvious cracks...etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom