• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    For something so important, where a legalese detail can be the difference between legal and illegal, I think having an attorney involved is worth the cost, if, for nothing else, than greater peace of mind.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The point is, there is no right or wrong answer for EVERYONE.

Each person needs to look at the situation and decide what level of risk they are willing to assume, and at what price.

Like many things in like, it is a risk analysis.

And who paid $2K for an NFA trust? I paid $350 from an MDS IP attorney.

To ME, it was work the extra couple of hundred for piece of mind.

If it was one .22 suppressor, maybe not. But my trust has a bit more in it.

And really, with a few reasonable items, what percentage is that couple of hundred $?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The point is, there is no right or wrong answer for EVERYONE.

Each person needs to look at the situation and decide what level of risk they are willing to assume, and at what price.

Like many things in like, it is a risk analysis.

And who paid $2K for an NFA trust? I paid $350 from an MDS IP attorney.

To ME, it was work the extra couple of hundred for piece of mind.

If it was one .22 suppressor, maybe not. But my trust has a bit more in it.

And really, with a few reasonable items, what percentage is that couple of hundred $?

Yep, this is how all of life goes. One size does not fit all. You and I will do vehicle repairs that most people would not even want to touch for fear of a wheel falling off while going down the road or frying the vehicle's electrical system the moment they turn the ignition on.

Everybody needs to feel comfortable with their own decision and come to peace with it many times throughout life.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    The problem is making an informed decision. I've addressed this topic before here on mdshooters. Most folks don't know how to shop for an attorney (hint: shopping by price ain't the right strategy). I tell folks, regardless of whether they choose to use my services or not, that they should consider the following when deciding on which preparation service to use to prepare their trust:

- When it comes to legal docs, are the people preparing the trust licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction where the doc will be enforced?

- Will the preparer indemnify you (the buyer) in some way in the event that the preparer's doc isn't compliant with the law?

- If the preparer is advertising that the doc is legitimate/legal in all 50 states, how does the preparer support that claim? Is the doc reviewed by an attorney in each state? Is the preparer licensed to practice law in all 50 states? Is there some other fact that backs up this claim?

- What recourse do you (the buyer) have in the event that something goes wrong with your doc itself or the actions taken under the auspices of the doc?

The issue of legal document preparation services is a big issue right now. It touches on issues of unlicensed practice of law, quality of product, and recourse for invalid docs. What most folks don't understand at the outset is that many of the documents only come into question years down the line when someone challenges the document in court (I'm referencing wills, trusts, and other estate planning documents).

Food for thought, that's all.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    The problem is making an informed decision. I've addressed this topic before here on mdshooters. Most folks don't know how to shop for an attorney (hint: shopping by price ain't the right strategy). I tell folks, regardless of whether they choose to use my services or not, that they should consider the following when deciding on which preparation service to use to prepare their trust:

- When it comes to legal docs, are the people preparing the trust licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction where the doc will be enforced?

- Will the preparer indemnify you (the buyer) in some way in the event that the preparer's doc isn't compliant with the law?

- If the preparer is advertising that the doc is legitimate/legal in all 50 states, how does the preparer support that claim? Is the doc reviewed by an attorney in each state? Is the preparer licensed to practice law in all 50 states? Is there some other fact that backs up this claim?

- What recourse do you (the buyer) have in the event that something goes wrong with your doc itself or the actions taken under the auspices of the doc?

The issue of legal document preparation services is a big issue right now. It touches on issues of unlicensed practice of law, quality of product, and recourse for invalid docs. What most folks don't understand at the outset is that many of the documents only come into question years down the line when someone challenges the document in court (I'm referencing wills, trusts, and other estate planning documents).

Food for thought, that's all.

Very sage advice. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom