• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Now that I finished my 2nd build I’m looking to build an interchangeable rifle platform. I wanna do a standard aero lower but I’m wondering if it’s possible and easier to build a 6.5 & 450 upper or just buy prebuilt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    My daughter got a 6.5 Grendel and that round is a screamer. She shot a buck with it and hit him low in the bottom of the ribs and the shock of the bullet going through the lower chest cavity split his heart from the to the top and did not touch his heart.

I bought a PSA pre-built and was sorry I did it. I would buy good parts and build if since you already know how an have done it.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Easily doable,

Cheaper for most to buy two uppers, the appropriate bolts and go from there.

Individual tastes will vary.

I figured building those would be more difficult than a normal 5.56/300 and also finding parts would be more complicated

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

Quick searches. Many, many options. Many vendors can sell you the full upper in one 'shot.'

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    So quick question. If I build it, do I need an hbar barrel being I’m going maybe 20” on the barrel?

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park

Quick searches. Many, many options. Many vendors can sell you the full upper in one 'shot.'

Naw I know bout the completed uppers, I was talking bout parts to build from the ground up. Most of what I came across was complete uppers

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    I am a HUGE fan of 6.5 Grendel. Right now ammo is plentiful and going for a reasonable price. (That could change quickly)
    Anyone who has shot a Grendel feels the same. The issue has always been the availability and price of ammo.

I’m gonna be stocking up everythig I use after I come back from my trip. Never know wtf will happen after the election on prices.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I've got both. Built the 6.5 Grendel, bought the 450 Bushmaster.

Went with a Ruger 450 B since they feature 1:16 twist vs the more common 1:24, and I like to shoot long heavy bullets in that caliber.

Only .223/5.56 NATO AR rifle requires HBAR barrel in MD.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My daughter got a 6.5 Grendel and that round is a screamer. She shot a buck with it and hit him low in the bottom of the ribs and the shock of the bullet going through the lower chest cavity split his heart from the to the top and did not touch his heart.

I bought a PSA pre-built and was sorry I did it. I would buy good parts and build if since you already know how an have done it.
    Smacked a doe with a Hornady ELD-m quartering towards me more than I had thought. Shredded the rear of the one lung, the liver was in two major lobes connected by about 1/4" (so almost literally blown in half) and about a billion smaller bits and didn't touch intestines or rumen, but dragged 4" of intestine out with it blocking the exit.

An inch or two further forward would have shredded the other lung also and dropped it right away. As it was, it did run about 250yds before dropping.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    "Prime reloader calibers" means you'll save a shit ton AND tune the load to your gun.
    People load 9mm because they want to. With 9mm, the accuracy increase and money savings are trivial. It is a labor of love.
    100%. Well, I can't speak to 450, but yes. Saves a lot of money and worth tuning your load for the best accuracy.

I reload everything I have guns in, other than 12ga and 22lr. But 9mm is because I love to reload. I can save money, but it is NOT worth my time for the money saved. I probably save $20-30 per thousand and invest 5-6hrs to load that all up once I account for all of my time involved. Even a true progressive would still take me ~3hrs to load up 1k once all my time is accounted for. Saving $20-30 is not worth 3 hours of my time. Full stop.

But I enjoy it, so I don't really care about the cost savings, I reload it anyway.

6.5 grendel, I can generally save about .65-1.20 a round. Even with slower rifle loading, I can load up at least 100 rounds an hour taking into account all of the work involved in reloading. That is $65-120 an hour. I'll gladly invest the time and effort to save that much money for sure. Even if I hated doing it.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Went looking at SOLGW site for my 6.5 build and I seen 2 versions of 6.5 barrels. They have a 18” 6.5 Creedmore 1:7 twist and a 24” 6.5 Grendel 1:7 twist. 50$ difference between the 2 but what’s the major difference between rounds? Once rounds seems like it holds more powder correct?

Went looking at SOLGW site for my 6.5 build and I seen 2 versions of 6.5 barrels. They have a 18” 6.5 Creedmore 1:7 twist and a 24” 6.5 Grendel 1:7 twist. 50$ difference between the 2 but what’s the major difference between rounds? Once rounds seems like it holds more powder correct?

Assuming it is an AR platform, the 6.5CM will most likely be an AR10 platform and the 6.5 Grendel will be an AR15 platform. 6.5CM has quite a bit more punch than a 6.5 Grendel.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD

Need AR10 upper and lower for the Creed.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    450 Bushmaster is a hoot to shoot! Only a few specialized parts, too.

The bolt is specific to 450 Bushmaster/458 SOCOM. Typically the barrel diameter will necessitate a larger diameter gas block (e.g. .875") and muzzle device (e.g. 11/16-24). And for reliability, 450 Bushmaster specific magazines are recommended. I use and recommend the 5 or 7 round Duramags.

I replaced the muzzle brake on mine with a simple thread protector. Recoil is not that bad - roughly comparable to a .308 or 12 gauge - and I found the increased noise and "muzzle blast" from the brake irritating even with an 18" barrel. Will get a can for it one of these days. . .

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    450 Bushmaster is a hoot to shoot! Only a few specialized parts, too.

The bolt is specific to 450 Bushmaster/458 SOCOM. Typically the barrel diameter will necessitate a larger diameter gas block (e.g. .875") and muzzle device (e.g. 11/16-24). And for reliability, 450 Bushmaster specific magazines are recommended. I use and recommend the 5 or 7 round Duramags.

I replaced the muzzle brake on mine with a simple thread protector. Recoil is not that bad - roughly comparable to a .308 or 12 gauge - and I found the increased noise and "muzzle blast" from the brake irritating even with an 18" barrel. Will get a can for it one of these days. . .

So I currently have a Banish 46 in prison so I kinda already had a plan for that muzzle wise. However I appreciate the info because it helps me find exactly what I need. I’m technically building this as a hunting ar “MD straight wall regs”. I’m prob not going more than 5round mags. Only thing is trying to figure the best length barrel for the best efficiency/velocity

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom