• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    Hi, 6.5 Grendel is a new caliber for me to reload. I bought some range brass and was prepping it tonight. About 10% of the 150 Hornady cases had this primer inner ring (case on the right). I don't know what you call it. Can it be easily removed?
    Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
    R
    6.5 g brass.jpg

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Looks like a primer crimp of a circular type as opposed to the kind that use individual teeth to flow the metal into the edge of the primer pocket. You just need to use the crimp removal tool, either the swage or the drill bit type.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    It is the wall of the primer. The cup base came off during depriming and left the doughnut shaped cylinder of the primer wall in the pocket.

I've had this happen a lot with PMC 38 range brass recently. I don't GAF about tossing a 38 case but if you are bound and determined to save the cases that you probably paid good money for, find a bottoming tap that bites into the primer wall, run it in, back it out, thread in a screw, and drive the whole works out with a punch and hammer through the flash hole. You may have to shorten or make your own punch.

Don't take it personally, as I hate hornady for many reasons, but you should look at better brass.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    some have mentioned ...looks like the primer "cup" (center) came out, leaving
    the outer ring in the pocket. a tap should work, or one of them broken screw removal
    bits (screw extractor) I've even used a tool that a dentist uses to extract teeth, has a
    hook on it, pretty strong also. The brass on the right with the primer partially still stuck
    would indicate out in the weather for a while, plus the difference in color. Or they may
    have been "wet tumbled" let to sit for a while. Would be a little cautious in reloading those.
    Anyway found something that may help.
    Make sure the drill bit is the right size this was for 30 carbine brass. both are small rifle..
    had to check on the 6.5

After a 4 hour soak in Kroil, the results were about the same. One in 7 cases left the primer sidewall in the primer pocket.
    Thanks to Redleg13a, all the cases were saved using his 5/32" drill bit technique. Every time I popped one of the sidewalls out, I examined it to make sure there was a complete cylinder (so as to insure there was no contact with the drill bit and the primer pocket). All primer pockets were cleaned with a uniformer, and just to err on the side of caution, I took 4 or 5 cases, loaded them up and went out to the meadow and shot them. No kabooms, all cases shot fine, no backed out primers and no excessive case head expansion.
    I tend to agree with Redleg13a that the green corrosion was due to water in contact with the spent primer, over a long period of time. When the primer pockets were uniformed, all the cleaned surfaces were bright and shiney, with no sign of deterioration. The outside and inside surfaces of the cases had no corrosion at all.
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions. In a perfect world, I would have tossed them, gone out to the range and picked up a couple hundred more, or bought some for cheap. Unfortunately, it isn't a perfect world anymore...

4g64loser: would have to agree with him. I stay away from Hornady brass all together, please

don't get offended. Just from my own experience

-Rock

Last edited:

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    Thanks for the Hornady brass tip. I tried a 5/32" drill bit with some success and various picks/reamers/whatever looked like it would work. After working on 5 or 6, I used a few to set up my Little Crow trimmer and threw the rest in the trash.

gemihur

Full Blown Wildcatter
    This will fix you up: buy a RCBS 9481 Primer Pocket Swager Combo-2 from Amazon for $46

I use RP 7.62x39 brass for it's small rifle primer pockets (less brisance) for my Grendel AR and contender.
    Just run it through your FL sizing dies and load 'em up.

Bill Alexander and Arne Brennan designed the 6.5 Grendel from the 6PPC which comes from the 220 Russian.
    The SKS and AK-47 use the 7.62x39 which is from the 220 Russian family

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    This will fix you up: buy a RCBS 9481 Primer Pocket Swager Combo-2 from Amazon for $46

I use RP 7.62x39 brass for it's small rifle primer pockets (less brisance) for my Grendel AR and contender.

Bill Alexander and Arne Brennan designed the 6.5 Grendel from the 6PPC which comes from the 220 Russian.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    R

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Don't you need to still ream the neck once you do that?

Now if I could just find a pile of inexpensive 7.62x39 RP brass. I've got some cases, just not a ton. And I reload for 7.62x39. So the dilema.

So far in life in several thousand reloads I've only had the primer cup rip off the sidewalls 4 or 5 times. I think all 9mm cases, so right in the scrap yard bucket they went. I have a couple of hundred range brass of 6.5G I need to reload at some point (I've have about 450 starline cases that are new also, so I am not hurting). Most aren't range brass that sat there for ages. 90% is my brass. I tend to do a dance when I find any 6.5G brass at the range. Usually seems to be one or two cases every 3-4 trips. I am still waiting for the guy who just wants to mag dump a bunch their 6.5G AR and doesn't reload and I happen to be lucky enough to roll into the range right after them.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Hi, 6.5 Grendel is a new caliber for me to reload. I bought some range brass and was prepping it tonight. About 10% of the 150 Hornady cases had this primer inner ring (case on the right). I don't know what you call it. Can it be easily removed?
    Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
    R
    View attachment 402476

What die set are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads