• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Anyone here reloading 6.8? Didn't know what to get for Christmas so I ordered a 6.8 SPR upper from Palmetto. Planning on reloading it with some soft points jacketed rounds and maybe later experiment with casting and how it will handle it. I like my 30-30 and 30-06, but keeping this as my SHTF, semi gun with 130 grain rounds, just as insurance. If it never gets used other than target and load development, all the better.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    Accurate 2200 is the powder of choice for 6.8. I use LE Wilson FL std. base die's.
    If your new to semi auto loading? For AR's best available primers are cci#41 or FGM205AR. Both of those have harder cups for semi's.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I've recently started. I got some Accurate 2230 and 1680. I did it to troubleshoot the previous malfunctioning. But now I have the reloading gear. 6.8 SPC can be loaded with large or small rifle primers. I think Hornady uses the small and Remington uses the large. You just have to have the brass for it and ensure your data addresses the primer type. I have only loaded the small primer since the majority of my brass was from factory Hornady. Not sure which powder I would prefer. Not far enough along in testing for results now that the function is ok now. In short, I had a bad bcg that was replaced by the manufacturer.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    With 120sst & Accurate 2200 in a 16" barrel.
    I started at 27.3gr = 2470 avg mv
    worked up to 28.1gr = 2545 avg mv

AA2200 has no equal in 6.8

Starline 6.8 is small primer & good brass if you need some.

I don't even waste my time reloading the large primer Rem brass. Tried some & large pockets just wont hold up to stout loads.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Accurate 2200 is the powder of choice for 6.8. I use LE Wilson FL std. base die's.
    If your new to semi auto loading? For AR's best available primers are cci#41 or FGM205AR. Both of those have harder cups for semi's.
    Why are 41's needed, or best? I have been shooting standard 223 FMJ or soft point ammo at varmints with the 556 and never had any problems. Why would SRP's be a problem?

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    Why are 41's needed, or best? I have been shooting standard 223 FMJ or soft point ammo at varmints with the 556 and never had any problems. Why would SRP's be a problem?
    Didn't say they'd be a "problem", just best practice for AR/semi auto platforms.

This will be a bit of a side track since it's not directed specifically at 6.8SPC.

If your shooting 223 pressures in a quality built gun or well under max loads in any AR I doubt you'd ever have an issue with std SRP's.

All factory 5.56 I'm aware of + some 223 have crimped primers & factory installed "hard cup primers". Most if not all factory 6.8 loads I've shot had the same.

If you are tightly controlling head space on the shoulders via reloading & using high quality BCG's then std. SRP's "shouldn't" give you any problems.

Tolerances can stack on AR's. Loose case head space, loose fitting firing pin to bolt bore etc.

The most widely spread internet lore reason for using the hard primers is to prevent slam fire. Sure I've seen a dimple on chambered (not fired) rounds, but my guns are pretty well optimized for gas & cycle rate. I suppose a slam fire would be possible if the gun set up was pretty far outside optimum. Example high rate buffer & way over gassed. That said I've never seen a slam fire.

In my experience though cci 41, FGM 205AR, cci 450, & Wolf SRM all perform better in AR's. I see less primer cratering & less likley to pierce/blank primers.

Real world example: I just finished running through 400 pc's of IVI 223 Brass. This came factory primed and crimped, however the primers were std SRP (likley Ruag).
    I loaded this for 3 different AR's & one bolt gun. My std 5.56 MK262 load had to be backed down due to primer cratering & piercing. Ran 1 Gas gun match with these backed down a bit. Even in the bolt gun (a custom) the primers cratered. It still performed well, but a davit from a pierced primer in your firing pin channel can ruin your day or match. I prefer the peace of mind knowing this won't happen.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    All factory 5.56 I'm aware of + some 223 have crimped primers & factory installed "hard cup primers". Most if not all factory 6.8 loads I've shot had the same.
    I shoot true 5.56-pressure ammo all the time and have never had a primer pop on me because I stay under 62k psi. Primers popping in non-worn-out brass is generally indicative of going waaaaay beyond the redline, either through too much powder or some sort of bullet-jamming-in-leade issue That said, 6.8 SPC II actually has a higher chamber pressure limit than 223 (but a bit below 5.56), so I'd probably just stay within the loading manual loads, and realize the top-end is probably not likely to blow up your gun.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I doubt my pressures will ever get very high. From round and charge planning with GRT I am seeing mid 2250 as the highest load without exceeding into peak loads. I'll be using cast round instead of jacketed rounds, so charges are likely to be lower and slower than what peak jackets cartridges might give.

My initial research and what GRT spit out. The 6.8 forum people recommended 3031 and I guess it works and unburnt powder might come out the end of the barrel? I have not seen these low burn rate warnings before, but I was using larger cases like 30-30 and 30.06.
    6.8 powder chart.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom