• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Since my standard attire around the ranch consists of shorts/t shirts in summer, and sweats in the winter, I was looking for an alternative to the Crossbreed Bellyband that I've had for a few years, especially now with a MD W&C permit I don't have to disarm to make errands around town. After a bit of research, I decided to give the PHLster brand a try for my Glock 43X.

phlster-enigma-express

If you haven't seen one, the Enigma is an AIWB system built around a carbon fiber frame with a Kydex Holster, integrated belt and a leg-leash that goes around you upper thigh. The leg leash (when properly adjusted, more on this later) is the key to draw holster retention, it holds the bottom of the holster down enabling you to draw the weapon without the holster riding up.
    The-Human-Brain-Labeling-Worksheet-1-791x1024-2.jpg

After plunking down $150 bucks (ouch) and with quick shipping, the Enigma arrived. Looked very well constructed. There is a good bit of adjustment required to get it properly fitted out, and the website is loaded with tutorial videos to help you. I chose a 95 degree day that included getting a load of hay into the loft for my test drive with an unloaded gun. After a few hours I had to make a few more adjustments. Since I'm no longer 185 pounds of twisted steel & sex appeal and was sweating like a pig, I found the standard belt was starting to chaff a bit, and the leg leash just would not stay put on my upper thigh. I ended up putting a piece of athletic tape on my boxers to hold it in place. After that, it stayed in place throughout the rest of a pretty strenuous weekend including loading hay bales into the loft, stacking them, and all the other usual weekend chores. Even rolled around on the ground changing out a deck belt on my mower.

After the weekend, i had a few sore spots from the belt. PHLster does offer a wider "Sport" belt, but it was not in stock. I finally settled on an alternate configuration on the leg leash where you run it under "the boys" and hook it to the back of the belt. I practiced a good bit drawing from concealment and the construction makes it very easy to set up a high index point. Properly adjusted and snug, it cleared very cleanly and didn't have that annoying "give" that the bellyband did.

Oh, and that magnetic buckle is great for quickly getting rigged up.

As for concealment, it absolutely disappeared under shorts and a one size over teeshirt. After the permit arrived, it became my constant companion rig for all the trips around town. It also concealed very well under normal street clothes when we went out to dinner. Since it already has its own belt, I could wear a "normal" belt and an untucked shirt.

Since the initial purchase, I've added a Levodesigns Papoose fabric covering ($48) and Bumster Leg Leash ($16). With those two additions, I hardly know it's there. https://www.levodesigns.com

All in all, I'm quite happy with the investment. If your looking for a holster to wear with athletic gear, this seems to be a great fit. Also transitions well to street clothes. From their website, it seems to be quite popular with the medical crowd that wears scrubs all day as well.

And no... I'm not wearing it with yoga pants or ass-less chaps.

Last edited:

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    I just bought one as well, have not worn it yet though. I was able to get the sport belt but i'll have to look into that leg leash part.

I just remembered there was a post somewhere that recommended using a stripped out section of paracord. I'm going to try and find that again.

Found it https://www.phlsterholsters.com/how-to-make-a-paracord-leg-leash/
    Yeah, I had looked at using the paracord option since I have about 100 miles of it. Unfortunately the wife's sewing machine was packed away and unaccessible. The Levodesigns Bumster works quite well for me, but kept the old parts to try again later if needed.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I have been using one off and on for a few months for my p365xl. I use the sport belt and don’t us the leg leash.
    On me the holster does tend to move up and down and I sometimes have to go the rest room to adjust.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I've got one and I'm still playing with positioning but I don't have an issue with the leg strap. I've got the belt tight enough I don't feel much rise on the holster when drawing and it's not the leg strap holding it. It still moves a bit throughout the day from sitting and I haven't found the perfect spot so I do adjust when I can.

The sport belt was out of stock when I bought it. I'm sure it's nice but I don't seem to need it.

What I wish it had (and my Tenicor Cerium) was a liner to keep the gun off the skin. Hate wearing an under shirt to keep the gun from sticking to me. A little smooth kydex carried up would've been nice.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I've got one and I'm still playing with positioning but I don't have an issue with the leg strap. I've got the belt tight enough I don't feel much rise on the holster when drawing and it's not the leg strap holding it. It still moves a bit throughout the day from sitting and I haven't found the perfect spot so I do adjust when I can.

The sport belt was out of stock when I bought it. I'm sure it's nice but I don't seem to need it.

What I wish it had (and my Tenicor Cerium) was a liner to keep the gun off the skin. Hate wearing an under shirt to keep the gun from sticking to me. A little smooth kydex carried up would've been nice.
    Sticky holsters makes pads you can Velcro to the back of a holster

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    My permit hasn't arrived yet, but I have a dedicated folder for bookmarked holsters and the Phlster is in there. I have been very intrigued by it. Your rigorous sounding review is awesome for my research. Thanks very much!

Would Phlster like your review?

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Nice to read a real-world review. Working from home, I almost always wear athletic shorts which obviously aren’t conducive to a belt-retained holster so I’ve looked at this one. I just can’t decide if it’s comfortable or not, and definitely don’t think I’d like the leg leash. It’s a bit spendy to order just to try as well. Thanks for the review.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I have been using one off and on for a few months for my p365xl. I use the sport belt and don’t us the leg leash.
    On me the holster does tend to move up and down and I sometimes have to go the rest room to adjust.
    Same here. With a quick, deliberate jerk to pull the pistol out, it seems the holster stays put well enough without the leg leash and all the complications that the leash adds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads

Top Bottom