• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sundaz

Sep 15, 2011
    Hello to all,
    I purchased a brand new 686 6" about 2 weeks ago. Took it to the range today and fired several cylinders no problem. However after firing last shot it locked up and the cylinder will not open, the trigger can't be squeezed and the hammer can only be pulled slightly back. Range officer came over to look and said he could get it to do anything either. Fortunately it was the last round so no live cartriges are in it. Will call Smith on Monday but was wondering if anyone had similar problem or knows if this is an issue, We tried putting key in and it does not seem locked, as the key will turn to lock it and turn back. Any thoughts or assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    the first gen of the L-frame revolvers had this problem, and I had it on a K-frame duty revolver. I don't know what caused the L-frame problem but my duty revolver was because of some burrs on the inside working parts. I disassembled the gun and cleaned up all the internal parts.

terryhimself

Oct 19, 2008
    Bel Air
    One thing comes to mind. Sometimes the ejector rods on S&W guns will back out and lock up everything. Being enclosed, it is tough to remedy. Try rotating the rod by sliding your thumb on the knurled portion at the front of the rod. If it is loose, you may be able to rotate it enough that you can open the cylinder and then tighten the rod.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Try pulling back on the cylinder (away from the barrel).

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I've had that issue.....depending on how far the hammer goes back it could b a bad primer strike. The hammer goes though the primer

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Try again after the gun cools. This would happen on my Dan Wesson when I would try to run the cylinder gap a little tighter than spec. The metal expands when hot and locks the whole thing up.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    One thing comes to mind. Sometimes the ejector rods on S&W guns will back out and lock up everything. Being enclosed, it is tough to remedy. Try rotating the rod by sliding your thumb on the knurled portion at the front of the rod. If it is loose, you may be able to rotate it enough that you can open the cylinder and then tighten the rod.

I had a similar problem on my 686, it seemed as though I was always snugging up the ejector rod. I finally got smart and put locktite on it,so far so good.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Were you shooting reloads?

It could be from a bad powder charge and the bullet could be stuck between the cylinder and the barrel. This could prevent the cylinder from opening.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009

i had the same problem. the ejector rod does come unscrewed from time to time. when you finally get it open, you must retighten the rod by turning it counter-clockwise, all the while holding the cylinder so it doesn't rotate when you are turning the rod.

sundaz

Sep 15, 2011
    Thanks for the input. The rounds were factory 357 federal ammo. If I can get it open I will see if the ejector rod needs tightening.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

I've had that issue.....depending on how far the hammer goes back it could b a bad primer strike. The hammer goes though the primer

If the hammer's firing pin went into (pierced) the primer, the hammer block safety should reengage when the trigger is released thus removing the firing pin from the primer and back into the frame channel. If the trigger doesn't return to the full forward position, then the firing pin could be lodged into the primer.

I had a similar problem on my 686, it seemed as though I was always snugging up the ejector rod. I finally got smart and put locktite on it,so far so good.

YHIS ^^^^..........a very common occurance.

Were you shooting reloads?

It could be from a bad powder charge and the bullet could be stuck between the cylinder and the barrel. This could prevent the cylinder from opening.

Did the sound of the last shot and recoil feel different than any of the previous shots????

i had the same problem. the ejector rod does come unscrewed from time to time. when you finally get it open, you must retighten the rod by turning it counter-clockwise, all the while holding the cylinder so it doesn't rotate when you are turning the rod.

The S&W ejector rods are reverse thread, at least all those that I've encountered coming loose. The above posts are good info here, OP.

There is an easy way of getting the cylinder out if it's the ejector rod turning loose. Get a solid, firm, very thin object that can withstand some reasonable pressure without bending or breaking that will fit into the opening of the ejector housing. Place it on the front of the rod and apply slight pressure as you depress and cant into the front of the rod opening (the rod is hollow at the front). After doing such, press the locking pin (located forward of the rod end) forward towards the muzzle. Then while all the above is taking place, thumb forward the thumb cylinder release and push the cylinder out. It would help if you had a vise with the appropriate protection to not scar the gun or another set of hands.

sundaz

Sep 15, 2011
    GoT the cylinder to open by sliding business card in behind it, while pushing on thumb release. Got that advice from a friend. Ejector rod seemed tight and not loose at all. Talked to Smith and they said send it back. Thanks for all the responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom