• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    Any thoughts on it. I am batting around the idea of getting one. I primarily shoot skeet, usually twice a week, 3-5 games a day.

Currently my primary gun is a fabarm xlr5, but want to get a O/U. I am worried that after I get it I will want more gun, and with I got a caesar guerini or fabarm.

Any thoughts.

Obviously I will try then all before I buy.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    I have a 686 White Onyx Sporting, which is likely the predecessor model. It's a good all around gun for trap and skeet and sporting clays. It's a quality gun and is built to last. If you know you're going to specialize in skeet, I'd possibly hold out for something dedicated to skeet, like a Browning XS Citori or a 682/692 series Beretta setup for skeet.

roger8918

Nov 14, 2010
    Absolutely love the Silver Pigeon. My Daughter shoots one with a PFS stock and the set up fits her perfect. She uses it for all the games...In college they have to shoot Trap, Skeet, Sporting, International Skeet, International Trap, and 5-Stand.

Sheph.jpg

Fireman51

Feb 18, 2014
    I think you will enjoy the 686...I have tried it out several times, and really like how it come up on target with ease...I may add one to my collection one day.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I used a 686 Onyx for 8 years before I ended up buying a 682 for skeet. I already had a 682 trap gun prior to going to law school, but could not afford another one until a couple of years out of law school. Caesar Guerini, Fabarm, Beretta, Browning. All in the same category as far as I am concerned. Pick one that fits you and excites you, and then have a great time with it.

With that said, the 686 does not have replaceable hinge pins or shoulders like the 682/692 and then we can start talking about the DT10/DT11 that has both of those and a removable trigger group. Once you get into the DT10/DT11 realm, you can start talking Perazzi and possibly Krieghoff too.

With all that said, I shoot my Beretta 391 way more for skeet and sporting clays. One place an o/u shines as far as skeet is concerned, is that for another $1,600 or so, you can buy a tube set for it from Briley or another manufacturer, and shoot all 4 gauges. Cannot do that with an auto.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I held and fired several SP1's before ultimately going a different direction. My choice was difficult as Beretta makes a damn fine over under imho. Buy with confidence for sure if it fits you

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom