• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    I've been looking at a suppressor for 762x51 applications and was wondering if any of you have them and find them useful. One would run on the order of $800+/- with NFA stamps. I found some videos of people using them and although they do quiet the gun somewhat, they do not seem to make a huge difference to me. So, for the money, would it be better to just buy another gun or get the suppressor?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The effectiveness of a suppressor on a .308/7.62x51 will depend very much on ammo. It will not be "movie quiet" in any event, but the use of sub-sonic ammo brings the noise levels way down. Using super-sonic ammunition, the muzzle blast in controlled to a large degree, but you will still get quite a bit of noise from the bullet, both a crack and the sound of it zipping through the air. There are several guys that shoot suppressed .308s at Quantico and I'd like to have one myself.

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    According to two manufacturers I contacted, they state that using a suppressor increases speed and accuracy.

Any particular model that you'd favor or stay away from? A local class 3 recommends Yankee and another dealer recommened Gemtech.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    According to two manufacturers I contacted, they state that using a suppressor increases speed and accuracy.
    I don't know if this is true or not. It sure makes the rifle more pleasant to shoot. Whether the can is on or off will usually affect the zero, but AFAIK, drop data is the same.
    Any particular model that you'd favor or stay away from? A local class 3 recommends Yankee and another dealer recommened Gemtech.
    No, sorry that I can't really recommend anything. I can ask the guys how they like what they're using when I head down to QMCB next trip.

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    +1 on what Ed said about accuracy. i've read some articles where the rifle was zeroed w/ or w/o the suppressor on and when it was taken on/off it changed the zero quite noticeably, but once you adjust for that the accuracy remains the same

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    Read up at www.silencertests.com

I believe that Gemtech has an attachment system, that has Repeatable change of impact. The system is based off of the HK? 3 lug mounting system. While the POI will change depending if the supressor is attached or not, it will alsays change the same way, so it would be more easily corrected for

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    If you are going to get a .308 suppressor. Consider the YHM Phantom 308. This suppressor will work with 308-7.62, 5.56 and 22LR with quick disconnect mounts. One suppressor. One tax stamp , multiple firearms. Thats versatility.

http://www.yhm.net/store/phantom762.html

For the lowest prices on suppressors:
    contact Byron Gaston at majormalfunction.com

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I've been looking at a suppressor for 762x51 applications and was wondering if any of you have them and find them useful. One would run on the order of $800+/- with NFA stamps. I found some videos of people using them and although they do quiet the gun somewhat, they do not seem to make a huge difference to me. So, for the money, would it be better to just buy another gun or get the suppressor?

Yes they are worth it. It maks shooting much more enjoyable. While they are not Hollywood quiet, they make a very large difference.

The 308 suppressed bolt gun is close to an unsuppressed 22. Easily hearing safe. You do get the crack downrange, but at the shooters ear it very plesent to shoot.

I eventually want to suppress pretty much all my long guns.

Read up at www.silencertests.com

I believe that Gemtech has an attachment system, that has Repeatable change of impact. The system is based off of the HK? 3 lug mounting system. While the POI will change depending if the supressor is attached or not, it will alsays change the same way, so it would be more easily corrected for

It's called the Bi Lock, it's a 2 lug system. It is close to a repetable POI shift. The only one I've personally seen that is a repetable POI shift has been the SureFire. A friend has a rifle (AR10) that attaching the can always causes a 4MOA shift. He dials in 4 minutes up and he's GTG.

If you are going to get a .308 suppressor. Consider the YHM Phantom 308. This suppressor will work with 308-7.62, 5.56 and 22LR with quick disconnect mounts. One suppressor. One tax stamp , multiple firearms. Thats versatility.

http://www.yhm.net/store/phantom762.html

For the lowest prices on suppressors:
    contact Byron Gaston at majormalfunction.com

The YHM is a good suppressor, I've played with a few and I am looking foward to getting one for my M1A in the future.

Having a 308 can makes sence for anyone who wants to suppress 2 guns with 1 tax stamp. The ablity to us it on a 5.56 almost makes it pointless to have dedicated 5.56 suppressor. While the 5.56 suppressors do a slightly better job on the meters, the tone of a 5.56 through a 308 suppressor seems lower.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    There is one guy at the long range shoots who is also a former active duty Marine scout sniper and also was an instructor as well. He uses an AWC and I have had a few conversations with him about that particular can.

I became intrigued by this can when I had to watch for his muzzle to smoke to tell whether he shot a round off and you had to look close because there wasn't even much smoke. This impressed me because I was wearing a pair of electronic ear muffs which are very good at what they do and I could actually only hear a puff coming from his rifle. If there was any other noise, even a person talking, I couldn't hear his weapon go off. I also noticed he was shooting it at 800 & 900 yards and only took it off after a few shots at 1000. He also loved the customer service when one of his cans had a problem and they had to fix it. If I go for a .308 can then from what I saw and didn't hear as well as his testimony about the service he received, would make this a definite front runner.

That being said, I would very much like to build a precision rifle that will take a can. I think that may be my next want item and think you should go for it.

Link to AWC:http://www.awcsystech.com/civiliansales.html

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Instead of starting a new thread and getting the same info I brought this one back.

So ive been thinking a can for my .308 AR might be a neat idea, its so loud!!!:D Do you have to shoot subsonic ammo with a can? Does is make that much of a difference than say 147 grain Winchester white box? Can you buy subsonic ammo, I dont reload.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The sound of the bullet breaking the sound barrier as it travels at super-sonic velocity can be extremely loud.

My unported, suppressed 10/22 barrel is very quiet with sub-sonics, but the crack of a super-sonic Mini-Mag is still pretty bad and uncomfortable to one's ears.

Same with the .308. The sonic crack is always there when you go supersonic and is a large part of the signature. You still get a reduction in muzzle blast and recoil, but the "crack" is still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom