• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt1

Feb 5, 2013
    anne arundel county md
    So I am sure this has been talked about before but I couldn't find any threads directly talking about this issue.

Most everyone seems to say a 7.62x51 can be shot out of a .308 without a problem but not the other way around.

I recently purchased a Savage Axis in .308 and called their customer service to confirm if shooting a 7.62 would be acceptable. The woman from their customer service department expressed it absolutely could not be done. (quite rudely I might add). She expressed the pressure was higher on the 7.62 and could be disastrous... now even I (who's only a novice) know that is incorrect and the 7.62 has less pressure then the .308.

So since Savage's customer service failed to give me confidence that it is ok to shoot the cheaper NATO round out of my gun, I am turning to all of you.

Does anyone have experience shooting the 7.62 out of the Savage Axis first hand? Any light someone can shed on this debate?

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    From what I'm reading, you are right and she is wrong. It is safe to fire the NATO round out of a .308. But not safe the other way around. The commercial brass is thinner. And may affect the go no go headspace. Also, the commercial ammo has a higher psi.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    7.62x51 good to go from 308 but not the other way around. Same way with 223 except backwards, 223 good to go from 5.56x45 but not the other way around.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Does it make any difference if we are talking about a bolt gun vs. a semi auto? I have a couple of 98Ks in 7.62. Should I avoid using .308 in them?

And no, I have not done this so far -- just have a couple of boxes of .308 sitting around and no rifle in that caliber.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Does it make any difference if we are talking about a bolt gun vs. a semi auto? I have a couple of 98Ks in 7.62. Should I avoid using .308 in them?

And no, I have not done this so far -- just have a couple of boxes of .308 sitting around and no rifle in that caliber.

I wouldn't do it in a bolt gun either
    And the ammo would be great Karma :D

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County

Do not use .308 in a gun chambered for 7.62x51. This could be catistrafic. Depending on where you are located, I might be willing to buy the .308 ammo from you.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Tell me if this is right:

.308 rifle; .308 ammo good, 7.62 NATO ammo OK
    7.62 NATO rifle; .308 ammo NO, 7.62 NATO ammo good

Yes?
    Correct. .308 ammo has thinner brass, more pressure and is slightly shorter than NATO ammo. Thus, a gun built to withstand the pressure of a .308 round, can easily digest the NATO round. Also, the head spacing would be different. It is the opposite for Weapons marked for 7.62 x 51.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks. I had to do a check. All of my ammo is marked .308. My PRT is marked .308 but my M1A isn't marked at all. I checked the specs at SA and they list it as; 7.62X51MM NATO (.308WIN). That helps! I read the owners manual and it states;

Ammunition
    3. The M1A is designed and built to specifications to shoot standard factory .308 made to SAAMI specifications or 7.62x51 NATO ammunition.

Looks like I'm safe.

Buttermd

Feb 10, 2015
    I also want to point out that my scar 17s is chambered in 7.62x51 NATO and the manual says .308 can be used in it.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Unless your rifle says it can handle .308, which yours does, you SHOULD NOT use commercial ammo, marked .308. Doing so, could result in a blown up receiver. Then you have to ask, where's your face going to be, when this happens?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

You can shoot .308 out of a 98K 7.62 x 51 Mauser. That action is designed for a much hotter load. The large ring Mausers are fine with either. The small ring like the mexican, the FR7 and others, it is not recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom