• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MdMedic

Jan 15, 2010
    Mechanicsville, Md.
    Am I crazy? Or does this silly seven day waiting period just not make sense when one has to order a firearm. Apparently, gun shops can't keep certain weapons in stock, so we have to wait for the manufacturer, who can't make them fast enough. I ordered a pistol in February; 36 days later I am informed it is in. But I have to wait another 7 days to take possession. This is lunacy.

Freak

May 20, 2011
    Gaithersburg MD
    After waiting 36 days, whats another 7? The way I look at...If you can't wait 7 days, you don't want it bad enough or need it quick for another reason.

MdMedic

Jan 15, 2010
    Mechanicsville, Md.
    Freak, you misunderstand. It's not like i went to buy a gun because I was pissed and wanted to harm someone. If the sidearm was in stock and I was made to wait seven days that would be one thing, but to make someone wait 7 more after a month just seems silly.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    The law predates faxes and e-mail. The reason for the 7 day wait was to allow time for the paperwork to get from the dealer to the MSP, be processed, and get back. Now that we have near-instant transmission, the only purpose of the law is to be one more impediment to buying a gun, which that bunch of fatuous idiots in the state assembly is happy to keep in place.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Why cant MSI get one of their pro politicians to introduce a repeal of the 7 day wait.

It seems worth while and a baby step that's easy to prove is outdated.

If during the legislation for this bill they did not mention any "cool down" period and it was purely ment to allow snail mail to keep up then why cant it be repealed?

The database checks would probably take a normal worker 30 minutes at most...and 45 minutes for a gov't worker.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Why cant MSI get one of their pro politicians to introduce a repeal of the 7 day wait.

It seems worth while and a baby step that's easy to prove is outdated.

If during the legislation for this bill they did not mention any "cool down" period and it was purely ment to allow snail mail to keep up then why cant it be repealed?

The database checks would probably take a normal worker 30 minutes at most...and 45 minutes for a gov't worker.

The problem is the legislature is still overwhelmingly anti-gun. It's not about logic down there, it's about making gun ownership as difficult and tedious a process as possible. Even when we have the votes for something pro-gun, the committee chairs table the bills to die without a vote. The only reason you're not seeing a lot more gun control shoved down our throats is O'Malley wants a status quo maintained to keep him away from the gun control label that would hinder his eventual run for national office.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Thankfully I don't have to wait 7 days to buy toilet paper --- is TP a right or a privilege? :D

'cause when you gotta go, you gotta go!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The problem is the legislature is still overwhelmingly anti-gun. It's not about logic down there, it's about making gun ownership as difficult and tedious a process as possible.

THIS! End of discussion until MD voters create change at the voting booth. Don't hold your breath.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    If you want your rights; you have to be prepared to fight for them.

Write your representatives; come out to MSI events, testify in the General Assembly.

The biggest problem in MD is not Brian Frosh, it's not Joseph Vallario, it's not Martin Omalley and it's not the Main Stream Media.

The biggest problem in MD is a general apathy and defeatism among gun owners.

Gun owners should be marching by the thousands; yet we struggle to produce 100 members for a rally on a federal and state holiday.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Am I crazy? Or does this silly seven day waiting period just not make sense when one has to order a firearm. Apparently, gun shops can't keep certain weapons in stock, so we have to wait for the manufacturer, who can't make them fast enough. I ordered a pistol in February; 36 days later I am informed it is in. But I have to wait another 7 days to take possession. This is lunacy.

I will not comment on the legitimacy of the 7day waiting period, but I will say that is starts once the FFL has possession of it because they need to submit the serial number of the gun on the forms.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish

Clearly you are crazy afterall you want to own a gun:sad20:

Nubz

Yankee Trash
    Mar 16, 2012
    After waiting 36 days, whats another 7? The way I look at...If you can't wait 7 days, you don't want it bad enough or need it quick for another reason.

And we wouldnt have such laws if people wouldn't just accept it and think "oh its ok want me to bend over a little farther? thats ok no lube this time"

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    If you want your rights; you have to be prepared to fight for them.

Write your representatives; come out to MSI events, testify in the General Assembly.

The biggest problem in MD is not Brian Frosh, it's not Joseph Vallario, it's not Martin Omalley and it's not the Main Stream Media.

The biggest problem in MD is a general apathy and defeatism among gun owners.

Gun owners should be marching by the thousands; yet we struggle to produce 100 members for a rally on a federal and state holiday.

Well you pay me for the days I have to be out of work and I will sure join you .. how about that .. Do not put it all on us .

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Well you pay me for the days I have to be out of work and I will sure join you .. how about that .. Do not put it all on us .

Give me your address and I'll send a check to you for your daily wages. No, wait a minute, that might make us akin to SEIU or something. ;)

In all seriousness, MSI or any other grass roots organization is only as strong as its weakest member. Part of living in a free society is accepting the responsibility that comes with that freedom. Among those responsibilities is taking an active role in your government.

Everyone has their own choices to make, but when the vast (overwhelming, staggering, pick your adjective) majority of gun owners in this state want to have nothing to do with their own rights, it makes a difficult fight all that much more difficult for those standing up for themselves, and by extension, those who always have excuses.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Give me your address and I'll send a check to you for your daily wages. No, wait a minute, that might make us like a union. ;)

In all seriousness, MSI or any other grass roots organization is only as strong as its weakest member. Part of living in a free society is accepting the responsibility that comes with that freedom. Among those responsibilities is taking an active role in your government.

Everyone has their own choices to make, but when the vast (overwhelming, staggering, pick your adjective) majority of gun owners in this state want to have nothing to do with their own rights, it makes a difficult fight all that much more difficult for those standing up for themselves, and by extension, those who always have excuses.

This. There are people who have legit reasons they can't attend.

But..

MSI has over 5,000 members, MDS has over 11,000 members.

When not even 1% of either of those numbers can be bothered to show up....

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    I will not comment on the legitimacy of the 7day waiting period, but I will say that is starts once the FFL has possession of it because they need to submit the serial number of the gun on the forms.

Does the law say that the FFL must have possession of the firearm before he or she can file the paperwork?

The only reason I ask is because it stands to reason that if the law (both federal and state) do not specifically say that the dealer must have the firearm in his or her possession before starting the paperwork, then the dealer could always call the distributor or seller and get the serial number in order to start the paperwork. Then he or she could transfer the firearm after the seven business day waiting period.

Now actually finding a dealer willing to do that is an entirely different matter.

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Give me your address and I'll send a check to you for your daily wages. No, wait a minute, that might make us akin to SEIU or something. ;)

not an excuse its reality .. Members of these orgs do not pay my mortgage or any of my other bills . I do my part and I vote . I have been voting since i turned 18 so I do my part . I do nto belong to MSI OR SAF only the NRA .. and yes those are my choices .. NRA because I have to for work reasons . But I will not let people come down on me because I cannot afford to Protest or whatever . When things are better for me financially then I would love ot do more .. But my family must come first and if your family doesnt come first then more power to you because thier happiness is more important to me that someones opinion .

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Does the law say that the FFL must have possession of the firearm before he or she can file the paperwork?

The only reason I ask is because it stands to reason that if the law (both federal and state) do not specifically say that the dealer must have the firearm in his or her possession before starting the paperwork, then the dealer could always call the distributor or seller and get the serial number in order to start the paperwork. Then he or she could transfer the firearm after the seven business day waiting period.

Now actually finding a dealer willing to do that is an entirely different matter.

The FFL usually has to have the serial number off the gun before they can process the paperwork .. Some might require to physically have the gun before they process the paperwork .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom