• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    The wait does suck, but again like I have been saying all along, who couldn't foresee this ? There were post months ago before the election with everyone talking about buy now, buy now. Well that's when it was the time to buy...lol...now we have a shit storm, but who's fault is it, and what can you do about it, but wait a few more days.

Sep 4, 2010
    Centreville
    Interesting, that was not the discussion I expected. The law says 7 days. Not 7 days unless we are really busy. or 7 days unless we are really understaffed. I am suprised from all the responses that seem to say "oh well" or "no kidding". It is the law that says 7 days. MSP needs to have as many investigators as it takes to get it done in 7 days. So, all it takes to have gun control is to stop processing applications cause they are busy.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I have to disagree with everybody saying "just suck it up." People should be emailing and phoning their reps complaining about the problem. This isn't something that is or should be acceptable. We shouldn't be blaming the MSP because they didn't write the law, we should be holding our elected officials accountable for creating a broken system.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Interesting, that was not the discussion I expected. The law says 7 days. Not 7 days unless we are really busy. or 7 days unless we are really understaffed. I am suprised from all the responses that seem to say "oh well" or "no kidding". It is the law that says 7 days. MSP needs to have as many investigators as it takes to get it done in 7 days. So, all it takes to have gun control is to stop processing applications cause they are busy.

Who were the ones who asked ammo dealers to keep a log of ammo sales?
    That's right, the MSP.
    Who would be the ones enforcing any gun/magazine bans or possible future confiscation laws?
    That's right, the good old MSP.
    Be glad they are processing applications at all at this point.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Here is the trick, no dealer can transfer a firearm without a NCIS check, and since MSP is the point of contact for these checks on regulated firearms, a dealer who releases a weapon without the "not disapproved" cannot prove that a NICS check was done.

A lot of angry gun buyers, none of whom appear to have gone to the expense or exposed themselves to the risk of being a Maryland Regulated Firearms Dealer are beating up on FFLs for trying to remain licensed and keep the doors open for law abiding gun buyers.

Kind of like the Maryland Legislature beating up on law abiding gun owners for something they can't control either. ;)

FYI that isn't directed at anybody in this thread; it was aimed at some posts earlier this week.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I'm not condoning blaming the MSP or the FFLs for the problem. It isn't their fault we are in this mess, it is the fault of our ignorant elected officials. They and their predecessors created this mess, they are the ones that need to be getting phone calls everyday complaining about the mess. If this was about getting a car title done, there would be protests at every barracks, DMV, and at the state house.

RealtorMatt

I would be more upset about waiting for my new firearm (G17)... but then again, it's not like I can find any ammo to shoot even if I did have it.

I think my one online order will probably be here in about another week or two, which is about the ETA for my gun.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Here is the trick, no dealer can transfer a firearm without a NCIS check, and since MSP is the point of contact for these checks on regulated firearms, a dealer who releases a weapon without the "not disapproved" cannot prove that a NICS check was done.

A lot of angry gun buyers, none of whom appear to have gone to the expense or exposed themselves to the risk of being a Maryland Regulated Firearms Dealer are beating up on FFLs for trying to remain licensed and keep the doors open for law abiding gun buyers.

Kind of like the Maryland Legislature beating up on law abiding gun owners for something they can't control either. ;)

FYI that wasn't directed at anybody in this thread; it was aimed at some posts earlier this week.

FIFY.

You mean like this thread I started last week where Triggerscan tells everyone in post 87 how to go about filling out the paperwork AND follow the law with regards to letting the firearm go to the purchaser on the 8th day even without the paperwork from the MSP?

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    As much as I don't like all the gun regs I don't see this as a problem. What would you expect w/ any commodity that has experienced this increase in demand?

You don't see a problem with the State's primary law-enforcement agency violating the law? :confused:

I don't blame the MSP, I know they are doing the best they can, but that is no excuse. If you have your guns in your car when you pick up your kid at school because traffic or something made you "too busy" and kept you from going home first, do you think the MSP would let your off the hook? Hell no! Being "too busy" doesn't excuse them from the law either.

If we must obey stupid laws, they must obey the stupid laws too. It's a fundamental principal of the Rule of Law that the law must be applied equally to all.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

AGREED!!

There sure have been a lot of juvenile responses about this subject.

This is the very type of situation that got the law passed that allowed the firearm to be released after the 'cooling off period' of 7 days. People fail to understand that the whole initial reason for the wait was to keep people from committing a spur of the moment crime. The MSP had a de facto ban on handguns at the time because they were taking their sweet time in getting the background checks done. There were no negative consequences if they didn't get them done in a timely manner.

The current law states 7 days. There have been past instances where the paperwork came back in less than 7 days and the dealers still had to wait the 7 days before they could transfer the firearm. The MSP wants to have their cake and eat it too.

Is it asking too much for a 'law enforcement' agency to follow the laws? :sad20:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    The law says 7 days. MSP chooses to violate the law. Who polices the police and will pursue the matter? Certainly not the AG. So how do we proceed?

IANAL, but I actually read the MD code on this. You can too: http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mdcode/

From what I read, the MSP can put an application on 'Hold' indefinitely while they continue their investigation of the applicant. I'm guessing they don't want to do this to all applications they are behind on in case they accidentally hit a LEO with a 'Hold'.

I think this 7 day wait fiasco should be brought up to the media's attention That is, if any news agency actually cares about gun rights.

Defender

Jan 15, 2013
    AA county
    Any idea what would happen if I paid for a gun online from out of state, have it transferred to an FFL here and, while in line for the MSP check, the good elected officials of MD decide to ban ARs? Do I still own the gun since I paid for it? Could I sell it? Might they still work through their backlog like many stores that stop letting customers IN but still serve them after closing time?

Yeah, I'm one of the last-minute buyers who always WANTED an AR but never got around to taking the plunge until now.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Sounds like you need a big sign in your store that says, "Tired of waiting for your gun? JOIN MSI and make your presence felt in Annapolis"

If you're particularly annoyed at people bugging you for things the legislature here in md did you could hang up, "FIGHT WITH MSI, errr quit yer bitchin"

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The MSP are making a good faith effort to process the applications. They are understaffed. There's nothing they can really do expect what they are doing, work hard.

Complaints need to go to Annapolis.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    For all of you who keep saying 7 days, the law says that the dealer cannot release until at least 7 days have passed. The OLD law that said a dealer can release after 7 days was changed a while ago:

Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 5-123 (2012)

§ 5-123. Time for licensee to complete transactions

(a) Seven-day waiting period. -- A licensee may not sell, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm until after 7 days following the time a firearm application is executed by the firearm applicant, in triplicate, and the original is forwarded by the prospective seller or transferor to the Secretary.

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    FIFY.

You mean like this thread I started last week where Triggerscan tells everyone in post 87 how to go about filling out the paperwork AND follow the law with regards to letting the firearm go to the purchaser on the 8th day even without the paperwork from the MSP?

Yep and if the ATF gives him an inspection there is a good chance he will lose his license and possible jail time and fines .

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA

What could you really expect... Marylanders don't even know what freedom is like. They like to talk about freedom, but the actual thought of it scares the piss out of them.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    A few questions:

1) Why is it people who follow the laws to the letter on firearms, don't make a fuss when the state doesn't?

2) Are you going to be able to wait for who knows how long for a finger print check, background check and psych evaluation to get a card from the state that let's you go to a gun store to start the same process with the same 7 day wait as we have now to buy a new firearm?

3) How are you going to feel if you have to go through the same process as above for a box of 22lr?

I know we all know the MSP is over whelmed at this time and yes we can be understanding about, which is how most are, but if you give an inch they will take a mile.

IMHO at this time at least 75% of the email, snail mail and phone calls should be pro 2A.
    That can be your stand on the issues, and complaints of non compliance on the part of the state, because they can not hold up their end of the laws, they wrote and passed.

Now is the time to make your voices heard, not only on what is coming, but what is in place now. Complaining here is preaching to the choir, let your elected officals know loud and clear that you are citizens and not subjects.

Or you can join the ranks of the outlaws and not care as whatever they pass doesn't matter as far as their firearms needs where you only need cash and an alley.

Your Choice.

BTW anyone know if Pa. is also backed up, say from 15 minutes to 20 minutes before you can walk out the door with your new pistol?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom