• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    So, I get MSP agreed that there would be no legal action taken against FFLs, but what's to stop the FBI and the ATF from going after FFLs who release after 8 days without a NICS number?
    Their own FAQ on the Brady law, in particular Question #57 (the first example is almost exactly a description of the situation in our "Free" state). IANAL, but I would guess that any lawyer defending an FFL would bring that to the table.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    Seems like they took the easy way out so nobody would have to testify under oath and possibly reveal political reasons for the delays.

xgaspx

Pennsylvania Ex-Pat
    May 31, 2013
    Maryland
    To answer your other question, i believe the spent casing doesn't go in until the transfer occurs. At least that's what i have seen. If you haven't picked it up yet, the casing should still be at the dealer's.

Yeah, the casing does not go to MSP until after the buyer takes possession of the firearm. According to my FFL the casing is supposed to be photographed/scanned and put into an MSP database but they do not have the funds to buy the necessary equipment. So, they currently just store the casings in barrels. The whole point of the law was to be able to identify the firearm used when spent casings are found at the crime scene. Without a database to search the law serves no purpose. Apparently granting funding to enforce existing laws does not win as many votes as passing new laws.

Peartree

May 25, 2013
    Mt Airy
    I'll believe it when I see it!

Today marks day 70 for me and 41 for my wife (two separate dealers, both previously hard NOs. I really don't see where this provides enough motivation (cover) for them to change their minds. Again, I'll believe it when I see it.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Their own FAQ on the Brady law, in particular Question #57 (the first example is almost exactly a description of the situation in our "Free" state). IANAL, but I would guess that any lawyer defending an FFL would bring that to the table.

Thanks! This is what I needed to see! Now, FFLs should see that too.

chris1205

Mar 25, 2013
    harford county
    So, I get MSP agreed that there would be no legal action taken against FFLs, but what's to stop the FBI and the ATF from going after FFLs who release after 8 days without a NICS number?

shouldn't that go back to the MSP for not doing there job?? FFL's tried to do this but the MSP stopped them therefore creating the problem, and intentionally I might add. The MSP should be open to law suits in the event of something bad happening, not the FFL. The MSP is acting irresponsible in this situation.

ED O

May 18, 2013
    Lusby
    well if you ask me this was a waste of time and money, it didn't do anything to help. the dealers that are waiting on paperwork are still going to wait.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    The lawsuit achieved and formally made the MSP and attorney general acknowledge the law as it is already written. The informed already knew that the 8th day release was legal (right or wrong is another discussion). Did the lawsuit reduce the backlog? Did the lawsuit accelerate the processing time of MSP (35 applications/day - read that somewhere)? Did the lawsuit change the POC for NICS to the FFLs? Guys, nothing really changed. Those that have firearms in the "definite no" release dealers, well guess what, they are not coming home tonight.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    well if you ask me this was a waste of time and money, it didn't do anything to help. the dealers that are waiting on paperwork are still going to wait.

Agreed.

The MSP probably a good laugh about it anyway. The most annoying part (as with most of the GA session) is that now the powers that be are touting this a a "win". Seems like a huge waste of resources, time and energy.

I don't get it. :tdown:

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    The lawsuit achieved and formally made the MSP and attorney general acknowledge the law as it is already written. The informed already knew that the 8th day release was legal (right or wrong is another discussion). Did the lawsuit reduce the backlog? Did the law suit accelerate the processing time of MSP (35 applications/day - read that somewhere)? Did the lawsuit change the POC for NICS to the FFLs? Guys, nothing really changed. Those that have firearms in the "definite no" release dealers, well guess what, they are not coming home tonight.

As much as I'd love to say you are wrong....You're not. I know at least two dealers, who still won't release until MSP comes back with an ND and that doesn't change until MSP get's off their butt and processes some paperwork.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    And maybe sue to allow ffls to do a nics check after the 7 days.

The msp is out of it my their own policy....

This, seriously. I'm sure even the anti-gun idiots would get all riled up if you tell them "people in Maryland are getting guns without background checks! :omg:" right now.

We should be making a bigger deal about this. Call it a public safety issue (whether it really is or isn't is irrelevant); use their own BS against them.

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    Seems a little too early to celebrate anything. If a MD resident has to wait 90-100 days+ to bring home a regulated firearm, then this accomplished nothing. Stop the congrats and patting on the back until the actual actions change.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Capitalism should deal with the dealers who won't release

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Anyone heard anything about the "30 day wait"? Ive been told MSP says u have to wait 30 days after the entire process of buying a regulated firearm.. It would be terrible if someone got their gun (after 7days) and waited 3 months to buy again then years later someone comes to arrest them and take all their guns because they hadnt waited 30days passed the time the actual paperwork was approved by msp

30 days is to receive a regulated firearm. you can buy regulated firearms a day apart, once you receive the first one, you have to wait 30 days to receive the second one.

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    30 days is to receive a regulated firearm. you can buy regulated firearms a day apart, once you receive the first one, you have to wait 30 days to receive the second one.

I feel like the law doesnt say possession. . It says purchase.. and ive heard msp considers that the entire purchase process.. It seems it can be interpretated different ways

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Agreed.

The MSP probably a good laugh about it anyway. The most annoying part (as with most of the GA session) is that now the powers that be are touting this a a "win". Seems like a huge waste of resources, time and energy.

I don't get it. :tdown:

And after getting PM's to stop being so outspoken because people are working on it behind the scenes, this is what we get.:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom