• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • They're not even ready to start production.

"What We Need:•$30,000 USD so that we can purchase the machinery, parts and materials necessary to take our shop to the next level."

They only have $5,595 at this point,I think I'll wait.

wesser1

Dec 19, 2012
    Havre de Grace
    This is interesting. I wonder what they mean by "we cannot provide fully functioning lowers". Is that their way of saying it's a stripped lower, or that it cann't be made into a functioning lower? It says it's 80% of a lower so it can be shipped directly to your house instead of an FFL. I guess the idea is to get donations, not to sell real lowers. :)

This is interesting. I wonder what they mean by "we cannot provide fully functioning lowers". Is that their way of saying it's a stripped lower, or that it cann't be made into a functioning lower?

It is 80% as the thread title says.If it was a stripped lower,it would be 100% and as such a "firearm".An 80% lower still has to be completed before use (by you) to be a firearm.

40-Cal-Polymer

Known Gunmen
    Jan 30, 2013
    Hmmmm, very temping. How much is it to finish the lower to make it assembly ready? That engraving of the 2nd amendment is SECK!!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If it's a CNC machine then it's no biggie. They just load the plans and a block of AL and call it a day.

You're missing the :sarcasm: animation. If you've never run a CNC machine before there is *WAY* more to it than that. I own several.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    With an already built lower and a plotter they can pretty much be totally ignorant to manufacturing and turn out a decent piece. Its very easy at this point.

Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    I doubt their plan is just to buy the machines and try to pump out lowers. They seems to have some idea about what their doing. I'd like to give them the benefit of a doubt that someone within their organization knows how to or will be taking training on running the machines.

40-Cal-Polymer

Known Gunmen
    Jan 30, 2013
    You're missing the :sarcasm: animation. If you've never run a CNC machine before there is *WAY* more to it than that. I own several.

So then you would be able to finish these 80% er's? hmmmm, even more tempting then before. lol How much would you charge?

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    I would have to assume that the guys trying to get this started know what they are doing whether they are employed at a lower manufacturer now or just gun guys that know how to operate cnc equipment. Either way it should work out just fine. Im probably doing to send them at least 50 bucks here shortly. Even if it turns out to be only be a donation oh well.... I have pissed out more than 50 bucks in alcohol after a good night at the bar.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I've seen a few of these in some local stores. Interesting...my thought tho...wouldn't polymer be ideal for these over aluminum?

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    I would think a polymer 80% would be a no go. You cant really cut polymer away. It needs to be formed completely in the initial process. Plastic melts and deforms when you cut it. Aluminum is really the only good choice of materials for ease of finishing etc.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    That is true. I guess polymer would be easier to work with, but the expense of it being easier to ruin and weaken resulting in makers going with aluminum. Any idea how hard machining the final bit would be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom