• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xander

Dec 6, 2010
    Really disappointed with the 870 I just bought. Jams like crazy (shell gets hung up before getting into chamber) and the receiver was filled with metal chips. Honestly wish I'd just gotten an old one and had the bbl chopped.

Xander

Dec 6, 2010
    That's what I expected, but apparently the new Express and Tactical models have been trouble. Should have done some research.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    You're not alone. A few years back I bought a plain jane matte black 870 and I had the same problem. I sent it back to Remington, (It wasn't even Remington, but some contractor for them) and they polished it. Still did the same thing. The old "they don't make em like they used to" saying applies here. I have owned some of the older model 870's and NEVER had a problem with them.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Even Mercedes craps out a lemon car every now and then. I have express tactical and have had zero issues with it. Remington needs to make this right for you.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    What kind of shells? Some 870's have been finicky with the winchester short aluminum case top shells. Switch ammo and see if you get the same jam. When I fired other brands of #7 or #8 shot, it worked fine, I just never bought the winchester shells anymore

Xander

Dec 6, 2010
    Even Mercedes craps out a lemon car every now and then. I have express tactical and have had zero issues with it. Remington needs to make this right for you.

I hear you, but returning it to Remington is a PITA. I am never home and shipping is a nightmare. I am not anti-Remington, but the workmanship on this gun is pretty sad. I have a cheap Chinese 870 copy that is at least as nice. My first shotgun was an 1100 LT20, and what I bought is no where close to that level.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Speedfeed stock. The rubber is super soft on the recoil pad and the weight of 4 extra shells helps dampen recoil too.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Have qualified gunsmith inspect it before you bother sending it back to Remington. It may be a minor issue he can correct in short order, and if not, he can tell you what repairs you will demand if it is warranty issue.

I've sold literally hundreds of these an not a one has come back with any sort of QC issue.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I hear you, but returning it to Remington is a PITA. I am never home and shipping is a nightmare. I am not anti-Remington, but the workmanship on this gun is pretty sad. I have a cheap Chinese 870 copy that is at least as nice. My first shotgun was an 1100 LT20, and what I bought is no where to that level.

My riding mower broke with grass 8 inches high. That is a PITA. My wife's car has the ABS light glowing on the dash. It is in the shop for a scan. That is a PITA. I've been waiting on my DC for 8 weeks. That is a PITA. I have a dead tree in the front yard that I have to cut down. That is a PITA.

You see the trend, life is one PITA after another. You just have to learn to deal with it. When life hands you a bunch of lemons, you just have to make lemonade.

Yeah, I know, that is a Hallmark moment, but you can't let the little things get you down. Your 870 may be a PITA at the moment, and you may never buy another Remington, but this too will pass.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    What kind of shells? Some 870's have been finicky with the winchester short aluminum case top shells. Switch ammo and see if you get the same jam. When I fired other brands of #7 or #8 shot, it worked fine, I just never bought the winchester shells anymore

Yep. Winchester does not go well with mine. Doesn't extract!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom