• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoons

May 15, 2019
    Loaded 5 cases with 6.6 gr Winchester Autocomp per HDY manual and chrono'd 1393 fps and 27.43 std. Dev.

Wanted to ask the experienced folks do you see any pressure signs on the primers? I'm still relatively new and don't have a feel for high pressure signs.

Attachments

• 20230211_152658.jpg
      20230211_152658.jpg
      214.2 KB · Views: 75

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Don't have my Hornady book in front of me, but velocity seems high. Load seems over advertised max too, but different bullet.

Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 20-33-16 Reloading Data Center.png

Last edited:

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    I used Hornady's load data. They specified 6.8gr as max load to achieve 1400 fps.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    What was the overall length of the finished cartridge? I'll run the numbers through some programs to see if I can get you some pressure data estimates... This is the 35500 90gr xtp, yes?

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    What was the overall length of the finished cartridge? I'll run the numbers through some programs to see if I can get you some pressure data estimates... This is the 35500 90gr xtp, yes?
    1.07" oal

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    It also predicts your velocities should have been around 1400fps, so I'd say it's pretty spot on.

Edit to add, that was based on a 5" bbl length. I can adjust that if you want, but it will just drop the velocity a bit.

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    Very cool tool! I'm going to have to look into one of those. I was using a threaded glock 19 barrel with 4.5" length. I'm surprised I was able to achieve that velocity with the shorter barrel.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Very cool tool! I'm going to have to look into one of those. I was using a threaded glock 19 barrel with 4.5" length. I'm surprised I was able to achieve that velocity with the shorter barrel.

One of the advertising claims of Glock , is their Polygonal rifling giving higher velocities than otherwise identical conventional bbls .

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    One of the advertising claims of Glock , is their Polygonal rifling giving higher velocities than otherwise identical conventional bbls .
    This was silencerco threaded barrel, I think they have conventional rifling.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    That’s from a Glock? Pretty odd looking primer swipe IMO. That almost looks like a timing issue trying to unlock while still under some pressure. Autocomp is noted as being extra gassy so perhaps that’s not indicative of an issue, just the nature of the beast.

If your inside the published load, and hitting the expected velocity, I wouldn’t worry too much.

I’ve done naughty things with Longshot in various Glocks and never had a primer end up looking like that.

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    I'll see if I can load some and fire in my m&p to see if I get the same primer swipe

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    That’s from a Glock? Pretty odd looking primer swipe IMO. That almost looks like a timing issue trying to unlock while still under some pressure. Autocomp is noted as being extra gassy so perhaps that’s not indicative of an issue, just the nature of the beast.

If your inside the published load, and hitting the expected velocity, I wouldn’t worry too much.

I’ve done naughty things with Longshot in various Glocks and never had a primer end up looking like that.
    was thinking the same thing, looks like an M&P primer mark, not GLOCKs usual square-ish imprint. Even so wouldn't worry much, but would measure the case head expansion to be sure. You can do some fun things with 380 bullets in 9mm and other cases. 9x19 is a really strong case and forgiving, so you can push it harder than some others. I use those 90gr XTPs in 9mm and get about the same 1400 FPS-ish in a full size 9x19 pistol, or 1600+ in my 38 super

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom