• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Interesting rifle, definitely went through a postwar refurbishment as can be seen by the pinned sight base, the rounded nose cap and the pressed in escutcheons on the stock. To my knowledge the postwar refurbishment was only done on the PU snipers, as all of the other sniper platforms had been considered obsolete by that date. The guys on gunboards could tell you a lot more about it than I but those are the red flags that jump out from a quick survey. Another problem is that it has an adjustable PE scope but is clearly a PEM mount, and according to this site adjustable PE scopes such as the one pictured were only manufactured until 1936 so the 1939 date is puzzling. This is a rock solid reference IMO

http://www.mosinnagant.net/sniper section/sniperphotos1.asp

Last edited:

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Psoyring- there isn't a SINGLE Kosher thing on that vomitus POS rifle.
    I've researched/studied Mosins daily for the last seven years. I'm no expert, but I do feel I have knowledge and insight into these rifles.
    This is the single worst attempt of faking a rifle I've ever seen or heard of-in the history of Russian firearms collecting.

There-I found some words...sorry, Lou.

I surely hope you don't have much invested in this rifle. Because of the multiple defacings on the rifle, stock, and scope-it isn't even worth the sum of its individual parts.
    $200 MAX - solely as a working rifle to put lead down range with an optic.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Psoyring- there isn't a SINGLE Kosher thing on that vomitus POS rifle.
    I've researched/studied Mosins daily for the last seven years. I'm no expert, but I do feel I have knowledge and insight into these rifles.
    This is the single worst attempt of faking a rifle I've ever seen or heard of-in the history of Russian firearms collecting.

There-I found some words...sorry, Lou.

I surely hope you don't have much invested in this rifle. Because of the multiple defacings on the rifle, stock, and scope-it isn't even worth the sum of its individual parts.
    $200 MAX - solely as a working rifle to put lead down range with an optic.

So you called my rifle a POS amongst a shitload of other bad names, well you've managed to get yourself on my shitlist. Believe that and I've gotta' bridge in New York to sell ya'.:D

I'm not very familiar with the PE snipers and I had it at the last show to get some feedback on it. Notice I didn't have it "offered for sale" in this thread.

So with my recent findings on here and the other forum linked up in this thread somewhere, I'll badge it as a post war Russian 91/30 POS Sniper at the next show. :D

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    So with my recent findings on here and the other forum linked up in this thread somewhere, I'll badge it as a post war Russian 91/30 POS Sniper at the next show. :D

With the new excitement over the CMP sniper matches you might find someone who wouldn't mind a fake as a competition rifle especially if it's a rare fake. :D

You might want to consider posting it up over there in their for-sale section to see if you get any bits.

Remember the word for "fake" in vintage sniper is "faux sniper" :D

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    So you called my rifle a POS amongst a shitload of other bad names, well you've managed to get yourself on my shitlist. Believe that and I've gotta' bridge in New York to sell ya'.:D

I'm not very familiar with the PE snipers and I had it at the last show to get some feedback on it. Notice I didn't have it "offered for sale" in this thread.

LOL! I'm sure I was leading the pack in hoping it was real-and would be for sale ;)

Once you said the PE scope (not PEM) and scope cover were stamped, " '39"...I was fearing the worst.
    Sorry it turned out the way it did. It's also a shame someone took the electro-pencil to the repro parts and defaced them to the point of making them worthless to someone wanting to re-sniper a Russian rifle. I would have been interested in the base/mount.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    With the new excitement over the CMP sniper matches you might find someone who wouldn't mind a fake as a competition rifle especially if it's a rare fake. :D

You might want to consider posting it up over there in their for-sale section to see if you get any bits.

Remember the word for "fake" in vintage sniper is "faux sniper" :D

The main issue with this is the repro PE scope will likely be sliding in the repro PEM rings and probably not hold zero. You'll notice in MilsurpDan's pics the PE has a recoil ring in front of the turret that proper PE top mount rings meet up with to prevent recoil from pushing the scope back. This ill fit between the scope and mount may or may not work. Only loading up and shooting will tell the tale.

Randy Wood

Jan 30, 2010
    That Tula stock cartouche is the worst attempt at fakery I've ever seen! No offense intended, but it looks like it was done by a small child. The bolt has been badly humped as well. Compare the features and markings with photos of a known authentic PE rifle, or a regular 91/30 for that matter. The devil is in the (obvious) details....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom