• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Friend asked for a recommendation for a full sized railed 1911 in 9mm. Only one I could think of was the STI Tactical and IIRC aren't those double stack magazines? Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD

or he could build his own using an 80% frame with a rail

http://www.stealtharms.net/shop/1911-series/80-tactical-government-1911-frame.html

tactical_rail.jpg

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Friend asked for a recommendation for a full sized railed 1911 in 9mm. Only one I could think of was the STI Tactical and IIRC aren't those double stack magazines? Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

I don't believe Springfield makes railed 9mm 1911's outside of their custom shop. You only real alternative to the STI is an RIA.

https://us.armscor.com/products/tac-ultra-ms-9mm

Oddly enough, Sig Sauer does sell 1911's chambered in .357 sig.

OP might as well take his money and burn it rather than buying a kimber.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pass them on. Interesting to hear that about the Kimber. I thought they made quality, but what do I know? I drink the Glock-Aid so Ill take my 9mm in plastic thank you very much.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pass them on. Interesting to hear that about the Kimber. I thought they made quality, but what do I know? I drink the Glock-Aid so Ill take my 9mm in plastic thank you very much.

Kimber gives you the illusion of quality.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    what's wrong with the Sig 1911's?

Nothing wrong with them at all. The squared off Sig slide is a little odd to find holsters. They do offer a few traditional shaped slide pistols.

Ask anyone what's wrong with any type pistol and they'll post a link from somewhere supporting their expert opinion.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    My Kimber has run like a clock for 7 years. Don't know why there are so many haters.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    what's wrong with the Sig 1911's?

Most have a mutated slide if you pick up a SIG 1911, make sure that you know what type it is and if you'll need to order some whiz bang holster they'll need to know.

Second is the external extractor that can cause fits if not tuned properly. Generally a job for a gunsmith although someone with mechanical aptitude can tune and fit one. Although legacy extractors on lower end guns have the same issues so kind of a draw there with a slight edge going towards internal extractors because of parts availability.

Third is SIG stupidity. For some reason on designs not their own SIG loves to add non standard stuff to make it harder to find aftermarket upgrades, just be cautious and only buy things in person as opposed to internet.

Fourth, there's a member here who had issues with a SIG 1911 and had to send it off to Chad to get fixed. Course it's only on the internet so he could just be one of them internet idiots Blaster was talking about.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Fourth, there's a member here who had issues with a SIG 1911 and had to send it off to Chad to get fixed. Course it's only on the internet so he could just be one of them internet idiots Blaster was talking about.

Wonder what his issue was? I never had any issues with mine. I'd be curious to hear about it for future reference.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I need another pistol like I need another hole in my head but I really like the 9mm Springfield Range Officer. No rail but a railed gun should have a high capacity magazine anyway. If I'm shooting at someone on the dark, I want lots of bullets.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Most have a mutated slide if you pick up a SIG 1911, make sure that you know what type it is and if you'll need to order some whiz bang holster they'll need to know.

Second is the external extractor that can cause fits if not tuned properly. Generally a job for a gunsmith although someone with mechanical aptitude can tune and fit one. Although legacy extractors on lower end guns have the same issues so kind of a draw there with a slight edge going towards internal extractors because of parts availability.

Third is SIG stupidity. For some reason on designs not their own SIG loves to add non standard stuff to make it harder to find aftermarket upgrades, just be cautious and only buy things in person as opposed to internet.

Seeing as how we are in MD and no one has a CCW, the holster point is somewhat moot. Also, the external extractor issue was from the first gen Sig 1911s. They are now good to go. I have one and it's my favorite <$2000 1911.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Well, just curious. Sig 1911's do have a good track record in general. I have only read of one or two reliability issues with them. The slide profile (other than traditional series) is a preference number and holsters are out there. An improperly tuned extractor in any pistol is a nuisance, Sigs are generally very good.

As far as upgrades, extractor aside, what is not upgradable with after market 1911 parts? I replaced the grip safety because the stock sig 1911 gs profile is nothing more than an A1 profiled beavertail - and I don't shoot my best game withthat profile gs. I've been all through mine and the only squawk I have is grossly off center firing pin hits. I have seen this even in their 200 series guns. I am not happy about it...but the guns runs well and is pleasantly accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom