• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostS0x

Dec 20, 2012
    Howard County
    I have been trying to decide between the M&P and SP2022 and I know that this has been covered before, so I will try not to repeat questions. I originally was thinking about getting the 9mm, but after reading about the .40 and noticing they are much easier to find then the 9mm I am now leaning toward the .40. Then I can just get the 9mm barrels and do a swap out.

How do the .40 compare to the 9mm as far as recoil and accuracy when doing the conversion between 9mm and .40?

Also a quick side question about the SP2022, as far as the Sig line goes is their a reason it is about half the price of the 226? I was just curious cause I was looking at a sub-600$ pistol and liked the 2022, but also really liked the 226. I just wasn't wanting to spend much more, and so really was just curious the differences where, like quality wise.

Thanks for the help.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    M&P would be my preference/suggestion 9 or 40, the 9 holds 17 rnds, the 40 15 rnds. if you have enough money get the range/carry kit if you plan to get a full size

ericeng91

Feb 27, 2012
    Severn
    Actually being the OP in the thread smokey linked to, I just finished going through the same experience you are going through.
    I tested a range of guns including the m&p 9mm and the 2022. Personally, I didn't like the m&p at all and ended up being one of the worst guns of the 5 that I tested. And in the end, I bought the 2022.

However, this is just my own personal experience. It may just be me, and so far it seems that it is. Everyone else seems to love the m&p. So my best suggestion (and most likely everyone elses) is to go shoot time side to side.

I went On Target in Severn and rental cost is 10 bucks and you can swap guns as many times as you like. Aside from that, normal lane costs and you have to buy their ammo. I know they have the 2022 and m&p in 9mm, as those are the ones I tested, I can not say for 40 cal.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just also bear in mind OP, range rentals may not be the best examples. They tend to get run hard and hung up wet if you follow.

Out of 2 ranges that I used to frequent and rent handguns from time to time, the most upkeep they ever saw (to my knowledge anyways) was a spray of break-free and a boresnaking to knock out some of the filth.

Some ranges may be on par with that, some may be better.

ericeng91

Feb 27, 2012
    Severn
    Just also bear in mind OP, range rentals may not be the best examples. They tend to get run hard and hung up wet if you follow.

Out of 2 ranges that I used to frequent and rent handguns from time to time, the most upkeep they ever saw (to my knowledge anyways) was a spray of break-free and a boresnaking to knock out some of the filth.

Some ranges may be on par with that, some may be better.

I actually thing that this is the reason why the m&p performed so poorly when I used it. But I also thought about the fact that every other gun I fired is pretty popular, and sees the same amount of action and the same treatment of cleaning. I guess the only difference at that point is the number of rounds put through it, whether it is 2000 to 3000, or 10000 to 15000 rounds.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I actually thing that this is the reason why the m&p performed so poorly when I used it. But I also thought about the fact that every other gun I fired is pretty popular, and sees the same amount of action and the same treatment of cleaning. I guess the only difference at that point is the number of rounds put through it, whether it is 2000 to 3000, or 10000 to 15000 rounds.

My invitation is still open to try my m&p9c or m&p45 if you'd like with full apex stuff in them.

LostS0x

Dec 20, 2012
    Howard County
    Great points and thanks, I shot a few different guns at On-Target over the weekend and some didn't feel right at all and some really shot off. But that was where I narrowed it down to the M&P and 2022.

I really did want a P226, but do not really want to spend the money just yet, and figured the 2022 is close enough to it outside of the polymer.

I haven't been a fan of the XDM just for the palm lock that sometimes I found troublesome if my palm starts to sweat.

ericeng91

Feb 27, 2012
    Severn
    Great points and thanks, I shot a few different guns at On-Target over the weekend and some didn't feel right at all and some really shot off. But that was where I narrowed it down to the M&P and 2022.

I really did want a P226, but do not really want to spend the money just yet, and figured the 2022 is close enough to it outside of the polymer.

I haven't been a fan of the XDM just for the palm lock that sometimes I found troublesome if my palm starts to sweat.

Don't rule out the 226 just yet. Lou at Shooter's Discount has 2 of them and will be at the Timonium gun show this week end. During the weekend, he mentioned he had a 226 is pretty good condition for ~450 (I don't remember the exact price, but that is the ball park). And although I don't know the price of the two he has now, I wouldn't be surprised if they were around there.

The only reason I went with the 2022 (which I just bought today), was that I was able to find a deal for it at 325 and the gun was in near mint condition. I figure I wouldn't go too overboard as a first gun, and if I feel the "need" to get a 226 in the future, I would go all out and get a new one.

Of course, all this is only valid if you are willing to go buy a used gun.

spanokopita

Nov 3, 2012
    The SP2022 is a good gun. It is not the best gun I have ever shot. It is not a P226. But it is a good gun. I think, for a self-defense weapon, I would find a way to get the extra cash for the P226. For shooting for fun, the SP2022 is great.

Talk to some of the IPs and see if you can find a used P226. If that's the gun you want, get it. I've seen used P226s in the new SP2022 price range. I think Lou45 had some prices he posted in another thread that were excellent.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If you're going to go with the M&P get the .40.
    You can always switch to a 9mm mag and barrel and shoot 9mm.
    Can't go the other way though.

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    I have a 226 in 9mm and a 2022 in .40 (well, I did before the tragic canoe accident). The SP2022 is a freaking fantastic pistol. It eats anything I give it, it isn't finicky about being perfectly clean, and it doesn't have the ridiculously long reset that the 226 trigger has. It's my favorite non-1911 semi-auto that I've fired (and yes, I've shot the XD & the M&P).

The 226 isn't shabby, but it really needs the SRT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom