• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Just curious, but does this automatically cancel the Hawaii law?

Or would someone like @wolfwood have to file a lawsuit?

There would need to be a lawsuit but if this ruling stands then it should be a quick and easy win in the district court, unless Hawaii plans to appeal to SCOTUS.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Let Ca take the DC approach. They keep regular mag sizes and let the 4th circuit suffer. Don't want the SCOTUS to make the decision.

No doubt they'll be pressured not to appeal. Keep in mind it could be a year from filing cert to actually being heard. One SCOTUS justice keeps going in and out of the hospital and could be replaced during that time. If she's replaced by Trump, I think the state may drop the appeal....

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    It's 11 judges (Chief judge + 10 randomly chosen CA9 judges). There is a mechanism where ALL 29 judges can hear a case but I don't believe that's ever happened, but I don't put it past them to try and call for this if en banc is granted and the state loses yet again.

Just like how Henderson gets herself onto every DC panel involving guns, mysteriously, this en banc will just happen to randomly be drawn to be the D chief judge and every single D judge in the 9th plus the most left R judges they can find.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Just like how Henderson gets herself onto every DC panel involving guns, mysteriously, this en banc will just happen to randomly be drawn to be the D chief judge and every single D judge in the 9th plus the most left R judges they can find.

Curious how they actually do this. Do they pick names from a hat or is it computer generated or something?
    From the % of GOP to Dem nominees we should get Chief Judge (Dem) + 4-5 GOP + 5-6 Dems as the most probable panel.

Soda

Dec 14, 2010
    Don’t get all excited yet. They’re just going to do the usual en banc review shenanigans.

2ndMDRebel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Please correct me if I read this wrong but as I understand it the decision to strike it down was that it was too broad and basically restricted all firearms that a citizen could use to defend themselves. Now, if this stands somehow what is to keep the CA lawmakers from passing legislation banning >10rnd capacity for specifically named rifles and pistols, not just all? That seems like it would pass muster as it still leaves citizens options in self defense even though it doesn't technically fit the definition of "Shall not be infringed."

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Please correct me if I read this wrong but as I understand it the decision to strike it down was that it was too broad and basically restricted all firearms that a citizen could use to defend themselves. Now, if this stands somehow what is to keep the CA lawmakers from passing legislation banning >10rnd capacity for specifically named rifles and pistols, not just all? That seems like it would pass muster as it still leaves citizens options in self defense even though it doesn't technically fit the definition of "Shall not be infringed."

It went into the Heller "common use" test. If something is in common use by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes, it cannot be banned.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    Sounds like it won on a straight ‘common use’ basis. I would definitely expect a call for en banc. But it is a a clear, strong opinion based on commonality, therefore unconstitutionality. It wouldn’t be the first to be overturned with tortured reasoning.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019

Nothing stops CA lawmakers from passing asinine laws. Lawsuits are used to (ever so slightly) lessen the ridiculousness.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Or maybe we can see this in a more positive light and that being this is the first step in the right direction for the rest of the country as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Or maybe we can see this in a more positive light and that being this is the first step in the right direction for the rest of the country as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make no mistake, this is absolutely a very positive win. :D

This will have impact.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    LOL

Attachments

• 316840EE-F860-4443-9588-7326A00D762A.jpeg
      316840EE-F860-4443-9588-7326A00D762A.jpeg
      66.2 KB · Views: 612

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    And this is what pisses me off. If it was reversed you know damn well it would go into affect, not stayed for one millisecond

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom