• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Ok, I already posted here what I think, but let me throw this in the mix.
    I start with this. I’ll carry HP’s and use them in my home defense weapons, but I believe over penetration is mostly BS.

Now to ruffle some feathers!
    With that being stated you’re probably just fine using FMJ’s. 1st off statistically, you’re most likely never going to be involved in a self defense shooting. So what bullets you’re carrying isn’t going to matter.

2nd I’ve never heard of a bullet passing through a persons body, and hitting an innocent bystander. Someone Please show me otherwise. Not saying it’s never happened, just stating I’ve never heard of or read anything about it actually happening in the real word. I’d love to be wrong about this. I’d be more worried about where a complete missed shot ends up going, than over penetration.

Ok flame away!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I start with this. I’ll carry HP’s and use them in my home defense weapons, but I believe over penetration is mostly BS.

With that being stated you’re probably just fine using FMJ’s. 1st off statistically, you’re most likely never going to be involved in a self defense shooting. So what bullets you’re carrying isn’t going to matter.

2nd I’ve never heard of a bullet passing through a persons body, and hitting an innocent bystander. Someone Please show me otherwise. Not saying it’s never happened, just stating I’ve never heard of or read anything about it actually happening in the real word. I’d love to be wrong about this. I’d be more worried about where a complete missed shot ends up going, than over penetration.

Ok flame away!
    5.56 overpenetrates less than 9mm in many tests.
    My HD gun is a suppressed SBR with a 12.5” barrel. Hot 55 grain Hornady ballistic tips.

Follow the science.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    My department issues Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain. I carry what they issue, but anecdotal evidence seems to suggest it's an effective round.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    I carry Hornady Critical Defense. I’ll shoot a couple mags of those periodically, but I buy FMJ by the 1000 cans. I’m able to dump a few mags a week on my daily walking trail, and the Hornady would get expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    My HD gun is a suppressed SBR with a 12.5” barrel. Hot 55 grain Hornady ballistic tips.

Follow the science.
    What drives me nuts is when people say they carry HPs in their gun but keep a mag of FMJ in a belt pouch in case they need to shoot through something, not understanding that quality bonded HPs will perform much better through barriers than FMJ.

I think we need a nice "birdshot for home defense?" thread going as well.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I carry Hornady Critical Defense. I’ll shoot a couple mags of those periodically, but I buy FMJ by the 1000 cans. I’m able to dump a few mags a week on my daily walking trail, and the Hornady would get expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Is it a shorter barreled gun?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    What drives me nuts is when people say they carry HPs in their gun but keep a mag of FMJ in a belt pouch in case they need to shoot through something, not understanding that quality bonded HPs will perform much better through barriers than FMJ.

I think we need a nice "birdshot for home defense?" thread going as well.
    It’s an interesting phenomenon where gun guys flop their dicks on the table and spout 50 year old nonsense.

Modern defensive ammo is worlds different than it was a decade ago.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD

Follow the science.
    True, I’ve seen those test that 556 penetrates less than 9mm.
    I’m just saying I think over penetration through a persons body and hitting someone else is mostly BS. Like I’ve stated I use HP’s and believe that dumping all the bullets energy in the body is best for defense, but……

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    True, I’ve seen those test that 556 penetrates less than 9mm.
    I’m just saying I think over penetration through a persons body and hitting someone else is mostly BS. Like I’ve stated I use HP’s and believe that dumping all the bullets energy in the body is best for defense, but……
    Agree.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind

Follow the science.
    Yup, science says 'little bullet should go fast'. I'm running 40 grain V-Max'es at the speed of light or however fast those suckers go.

On the 9mm ammo, IMHO: Reliability 1st (gotta *for sure* run), accuracy 2nd (gotta make hits), terminal ballistics last (mainly just has to punch deep holes). The temporary cavity at handgun velocities is secondary to penetration capability for reaching something neural or structural. That said, I also want something to open up completely and penetrate completely through, but not too far through.

I use 124 grain HSTs (Federal) in my defensive 9x19 pistols, which seem a good balance between expansion and penetration. Not counting the numerous gelatin tests on YouTube, I have shot and seen shot hundreds of HSTs in 9mm 124 & 147, .40 S&W 180s and .45 ACP 230s into dry & wet clay, sand and water jugs and have never NOT seen one open up just like the picture on the box. Incredible bullet design.

Before the HSTs, I used Gold Dots. They were long considered the standard and are still great bullets.

I've also got some Remington 147 Grain Golden Sabers I've played with a little. They run fine, shoot fine and have an impressive-looking cavity.

BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk

Ok flame away!
    I am a fan of HST 124s and just got some of Sigs 365 JHP to try out. As stated before... shoot what works best you and your specific pistol. Some are pickey about what they eat and others are not.

As far as 9mm FMJ - my anecdote
    My Uncle was an Army medic and once retired he volunteered as a EMT at loca volunteerl fire dept in VA. One night he rsponded to a call for a GSW to the head. He arrived fully expecting the patient to DOA or at best unresponsive.
    When he arrived, he found the patient ambulatory and fully conscious. The patient had entrance wound at front of his head and the bullet hit his skull and followed the circumference halfway around to just behind the top of his ear and was protuding out without breaking the skin fully. There was a lot of blood and believe the skull was fractured but can't remember that for certain. The hospital pulled a 9mm FMJ.

My other anecdote is....
    I went to a couple of pin shoots at Freestate and used both 9mm and .45 ACP. I noticed with the 9mm that alot of the rounds tended to go right through the pin with only causing a wobble and the .45 would not it over almost every time. Both were FMJ and I know a bowling pin is not comparable to a human body but it made think.

If I'm using my gun then it's a life or death situation and I'll damned if I'm not going to use the best equipment I can to promote the best possible outcome for me.

I understand that was a one off situation and everything from .22 rounds on up have penetrated skulls but why take a chance in my opinion when there is empirical data proving that xxxx bullet will do the job thoroughly.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yup, science says 'little bullet should go fast'. I'm running 40 grain V-Max'es at the speed of light or however fast those suckers go.

On the 9mm ammo, IMHO: Reliability 1st (gotta *for sure* run), accuracy 2nd (gotta make hits), terminal ballistics last (mainly just has to punch deep holes). The temporary cavity at handgun velocities is secondary to penetration capability for reaching something neural or structural. That said, I also want something to open up completely and penetrate completely through, but not too far through.

I use 124 grain HSTs (Federal) in my defensive 9x19 pistols, which seem a good balance between expansion and penetration. Not counting the numerous gelatin tests on YouTube, I have shot and seen shot hundreds of HSTs in 9mm 124 & 147, .40 S&W 180s and .45 ACP 230s into dry & wet clay, sand and water jugs and have never NOT seen one open up just like the picture on the box. Incredible bullet design.

Before the HSTs, I used Gold Dots. They were long considered the standard and are still great bullets.

I've also got some Remington 147 Grain Golden Sabers I've played with a little. They run fine, shoot fine and have an impressive-looking cavity.
    The 40 grains should be great for HD. You haven’t chrono’d them? We should get to a range and do that. I’d be interested.

Honestly, any modern defensive ammo is going to do the job. It’s splitting hairs to figure which is better.

BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk
    The 40 grains should be great for HD. You haven’t chrono’d them? We should get to a range and do that. I’d be interested.

Honestly, any modern defensive ammo is going to do the job. It’s splitting hairs to figure which is better.
    Isn't splitting hairs what the internet is best at

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom