• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I like to keep things light. The stainless steel Guyot allows me to boil water and cook food...

Didn't even know what a Guyot was 'til I looked. I think I'll replace the water bottle & cooking pot with one. That gives me another slot...

Another box of .22LR please.

Last edited:

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    What do you think are the most important things in there? You carry around something for shelter?

For some reason, not necessarily here, lots of people say a fishing kit. I don't think it will be that easy to catch fish, especially if you sucked as a fisherman before hand like me. I would rather eat squirrels than fish. Not to mention I can be doing something else while my traps are working for me. Within my next five items would be a blowgun.- George

Living on a peninsula as I do fishing would be more productive than trapping. A stick in the mud with line and a hook and you can leave it for a while. Or tie them to bush branches on the shoreline. Treble hooks work best since they hold stronger. You can tie dozens and check them every hour or so. Guess it's all about your location. The bay and potomac river are full of fish, trout streams though I don't know how well this would work.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I clearly need to do some prep work. I would probably still be looking for item #3 when my five minutes expired.

What I could probably easily find and grab in five minutes...

Bic lighter
    100ft paracord
    compass
    machete/saw
    fixed blade knife
    heavy blanket
    handgun

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    I clearly need to do some prep work. I would probably still be looking for item #3 when my five minutes expired.

What I could probably easily find and grab in five minutes...

Bic lighter
    100ft paracord
    compass
    machete/saw
    fixed blade knife
    heavy blanket
    handgun

Not having a metal container or any waterproof sheeting would suck. As will like when that bic shits the bed.- George

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Not having a metal container or any waterproof sheeting would suck. As will like when that bic shits the bed.- George

Yes, I'm sure I would be miserable. But I had to stick to the "what you can grab in 5 minutes" rule. Clearly I should be more prepared. I owe you for making me think on it. I have been telling myself I need to put together a bug out bag for a while but haven't done it yet. Been more of a "home prepper" making sure I have enough food, water, ammo, etc. to keep the family through a couple months of being shut in.

I should add flashlight to that list too. That would be easy, I must have 20 of them laying around.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    There is only one thing that is necessary to take...that is enough ammo to clear out all of the zombies that will be residing in your home while you are gone. One huge assumption is that some sense will arise, to realize that home would be better than the woods.

:rant2: :party29:

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    i'm good with the 10 things, the hard part would be getting the wife to decide on her 10 things. we have way different veiws on what it takes to survive. do you think a hairdryer would fit???:lol:
    Great post makes you think

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    You have five minutes to put 10 things into a bag to live in the woods for an unknown period of time. What bag and what 10 things. Exclude water and clothes- George

Just kiss you azz goodbye. If you only have five minutes, you're going to run out of time getting it together if it's not already in the bag!

If you truly anticipate such a situation, take your time. Plan it out. Consider the possibilities and potential scenarios and PACK YOUR BAG NOW!!! Keep it somewhere convenient and you can remember. If you're going to have "minutes" every one is going to count critically:cool:

Now... for all who are thinking this way. I strongly suggest you formulate your plans to head somewhere other than through Western Maryland. Might seem like the wide open to folks in the burbs but there really isn't enough room for who's already here. Add on the millions potentially fleeing the Balt-wash... better to figure on a long trip to find a safe place.;)

honeybadger

Feb 8, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    if it is a 5 min and the clock is running. I am sheltering in place nailing the fences to the lower windows caving in the staircase and turning the house into antizombie fortress. Tiping over cars and start a fire barrier line round the house.

tjdreams

Dave
    Nov 28, 2008
    Rosedale
    I would grab my big Maxpedition hydration pack which is already packed with these items and more

-1- large mouth stainless steel water bottle (which is double wrapped in para-cord) and has a full plastic bottle of water in it.
    -2- large First aid Kit which has a first-aid/survival book, and a LED head light + 30 days worth of my meds in it.
    -3- Water purifier.
    -4- small watertight box which has a lighter, stick matches, a Magnesium fire starter, 2 candles, signal mirror, a compass and A USB thumb drive with copies of important documents (each in it's own plastic bag)
    -5- Large survival knife (handle and sheaf are wrapped in para-cord)
    -6- Hand ax/shovel kit (handle is double wrapped in para-cord)
    -7- my vacuum sealed bag which has a small tent, tarp/poncho, and a sleeping bag (each sealed inside 3 plastic waterproof bags)
    -8-small fishing kit which has 300' of line, hooks, bobber, bait, and a multi tool
    -9- hand-crank powered flashlight/emergency radio.
    -10- my remora gearslinger which hooks to the front strap of my big pack and already has.
    --a- small first aid kit
    --b- 30 days worth of meds and water purifying tablets
    --c- 3 compact survival blankets
    --d- stick matches, a lighter, & a Magnesium fire starter
    --e- Multi tool
    --f- Compass
    --g- fishing line and hooks.
    --h- LED Flashlight + extra battery
    --I- small 22 cal pistol and 100 rounds of 22lr

Each of the zipper pulls has bin replaced with a short piece of braded 505 cord and their are several longer pieces of 505 cord weaved through the webbing/attachment points.
    Their is also a small multi tool, a compass, and fire starter tied to outside of the pack with 505 cord.

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    This is purely and exercise to get people thinking. Seems that is happening.

If I can only carry one light it is going to be a head lamp. Everything in my kit runs on AA or AAA bats. Actually the only thing that runs on AAA is the headlamp and it runs forever.

Would having to travel 3-5 miles a day on foot make you change your mind on your bag or contents. A bag is a lot heavier on the trail then in your trunk:)

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    My BOB is packed but assuming I did not have that and only had 5 min to throw stuff in a bag and leave I would Grab.

One of my large Alice Packs

#1 Metal container to boil water in (Whatever is closest to me)
    #2 Blanket again whatever is closest
    #3 Bic lighter
    #4 Something off the pantry shelf in the basement (probably a big jar of peanut butter)
    #5 Shelter (box of widow plastic if I don't have time to get a tarp from the shed)
    #6 A big hand full of random wires from my bin I throw all the extra av/coax/video cables in (all my cordage is in my BOB)
    #7 Role of electrical tape (don't know where the duct tape is right now)
    #8 Kershaw blur (again the quickest thing to grab)
    #9 20 ga rem 870 youth model
    #10 Ammo for 870 or if ammo is counted with the gun #10 would be The 1lb propane bottle with flex torch just because its sitting next to me right now and would be useful

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    AA) Bag = Backpack
    BB) Clothes = the compression sack in my backpack currently has a full load, although it is winter-wear
    CC) Water = my 3 1-liter nalgene bottles filled off the tap

01) Cooking pot
    02) First aid kit
    03) Tent
    04) Paracord (as many of the 100' bundles from my closet as I'm allowed)
    05) Leatherman supertool 300
    06) Hatchet
    07) Synthetic fill sleeping bag (my down is better, but not for indefinite time period)
    08) Food (probably would grab the big plastic Quik containers under my counter used for rice and red beans)
    09) Flint&Steel Firestarter (lighter is better and lasts a good while, but not indefinite)
    10) Pur backpacking water filter (cause clean water is vital, and boiling consumes fuel)

??) If allowed, I would swap #09 for my altoids tin survival kit (already prepared) that contains {Flint&Steel, 12 wax/cottonball firestarters, signal mirror, LED keychain light, misc. fishhooks & 50' line, 50' green floral wire for snares, 4 razor blades, iodine tablets, lighter)

Final check: Yes, everything is quickly at hand in my residence. Actually, aside from my feather down camp items that are hung out to loft (and are not in this list), I just keep everything ready to go in the backpack. Saves space and faster packing for trips. In five minutes I'd need to pack additional #04, #02 (currently in car), #05 (because I keep it with me rather than leave it in the pack), #08, and take on water.

Xfade

Dec 26, 2011
    Anne Arundel Co.
    Considering what I actually have on hand right now, which isnt much, I would pack:

1. Small Pot
    2. Small (soda size or maybe smaller) bottle full of bleach
    3. Flint & steel firestarter
    4. 150+ ft Paracord
    5. Case of energy/protein bars
    6. Plastic or metal water bottle/canteen
    7. Tarp
    8. Large 55 gal heavy duty drum liners
    9. Ammo
    10 Small LED flashlight

Keep in mind I always have a knife on me. I would also at least grab the AR and probably my 9mm that would not go in the bag.

Things I wish I had: leatherman, hammock tent, heavy machete, military/camping blanket, Polar pure, sleeping bag, etc.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    backpack

1) food
    2) cooking supply (ie. pot to boil water for freeze dried food)
    3) knife
    4) first aid kit
    5) tp
    6) rope (paracord will do)
    7) shelter/tarp
    8) sleeping bag of some sort
    9) fire starter
    10) extra ammo
    11) playboy magazines lol

Come now, this is a survival situation. Instead of the TP just use leaves or snow (I'll admit I forgot the TP one winter hiking trip), then you'll have one of the ten slots back.

For the sake of discussion, I would like to say:
    1) For those who chose a tarp or heavy space blanket rather than a tent, why?
    2) I love the idea of the stainless steel guyot bottle if you are limited by number of items, but wouldn't get it otherwise. As a backpacker I would think that any weight/space it saves by eliminating the pot would be lost soon enough by the extra fuel needed to heat its awkward shape. Plus, I'd be afraid of tipping it over and losing my meal if it was set on a stove or fire. Any further virtues I'm missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom