A crazy observartion at the range today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I was at the range today with my son and we were passing time with the 22s and I noticed something that both thrilled and amazed me. When shooting a 22LR at 100 yards, one can actually watch the bullet through the scope. At first, I thought I was seeing things, but if you really concentrate and keep the rifle really still during recoil, you can see what looks like a heat mirage following a little black dot coming up from the bottom of the field of view and arching all the way to point of impact. I can't see it at 50 yards, but I can see it about every third or fourth shot or so at 100.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool and I am easily amused.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You are seeing the vapor trail.

Congrats, keep focusing like you were today, when you go to the range in the future :thumbsup:

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I think it's pretty neat as well, so I guess I'll join ya in the easily amused group. It's really cool when you watch it at 1K and see the sun shining off the copper.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    When the sun is just right you can see bullets going down range when spotting for people. Especially, large calibers that are not super fast.
    such as a .243

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    im gonna have to try that the next time i go out with my 22

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It is really cool to see bullets trucking down range. Perhaps the easiest is when you shoot a 45 pistol or carbine out to 50+ yards, you can see it the entire time on a bright day, and occasionally even in indoor ranges. Shooting trap or clays at night under flood lights also allows you to see the grey cloud of shot to the degree that you can tell exactly where it went in relation to a clay, or the gentle arc and shockwave around a rifle round at long range viewed with high magnification.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Its pretty easy to see the projectile with a PCP air rifle and a high power scope at 50yds, but harder with a .22LR at the same distance. Not impossible mind you, but definitely requires a solid rest.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    Cool stuff. I've seen the wrinkle in the air by rounds going downrange when shooting at Camp Pendleton on the 500 yard range.

Oddly, I have actually seen the swarm of bullets leave the gun of an F-14 Tomcat on a ground strafing run as viewed from the cockpit. Looks like a gray cloud with red specks behind some of the tracer rounds.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    .44 Mag, 45 LC are two that come to mind with short range. I was watching the vapor trail when I was shooting steel at 225 with my .223 bolt gun a few days ago. Pretty cool to watch!

-Z

stever

Jan 7, 2009
    harford county
    My BIL and I did this a few months ago with his spotting scope. He would line up the spotting scope directly behind the shooter and use lower magnification. It really helped us as we were having problems seeing where we were hitting at 300 yds. You could follow the trace and know approximately where you were hitting. Reminds me of the Matrix. The only problem I was having was not blinking. Stupid eyelid.:D

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I see the trails all the time at work. Stand behind the shooter and watch where the round should be going. Its when I don't see it that I start to think there is a problem. Then I start looking low left :lol2:

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    When I used to shoot highpower rifle competition, on a day with bright sunlight you could see the bullets through the spotting scope and the arc they followed out to the 200 or 300 yard line. Even with a flat shooting caliber, you don't realize how much arc a bullet has on it at the high point of its trajectory until you see it. It is pretty cool. :thumbsup:

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I guess I'll join ya in the easily amused group.
    As President, I would be honored if you would sit on the Board of Directors...

The first time I noticed this I was shooting Berry's copper plated bullets out of my S&W 686 at Rockville IWLA in the laste afternoon. The sun was at just the right angle I could see the bullet scoot on downrange. Totally awesome.:party29:

Seeing the vapor trail while shooting long range is one of the neatest phenomena evar.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    i was amazed at hap sat with this too. shooting the 795 i could see the trace drift up and then down and bury itself somewhere in the target. really makes you understand how important it is to hold the gun straight up and down. the real fun part is on a steady windy day when you can see the bullet get pushed right, left...or even both as it snakes its way to the target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom