• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -The last couple of months were super busy for me on the auction circuit. Sold a bunch (nearly 35 pistols and rifles) and then purchased a half dozen. Some of these were bucket list items (Remington 12 for instance) and others were opportunities too good to pass up (Commercial Navy Luger). This one falls into the former category, something I've been actively hunting for a couple of years now.
    -Walther produced a line of interesting pocket pistols in the years leading up to and during the First World War. The mainstay of the line was the Model 4, chambered in .32 ACP with its interesting left side ejection port. Then in 1917 Fritz Walther released the Model 7 in .25 ACP. The DNA was a mix of the previous .25 ACP Model 5 and the Model 4. It was built in small numbers for a brief period with 3 distinct variations. The most noticeable being the number of slide cocking serrations. Just like with the Model 4 the first variation had 9 serrations, later variants had a higher number of finer serrations. The Model 7 had another major difference from the Model 4 in that the ejection port was on the more conventional right side. And the Model 7 was significantly smaller, just a bit bigger than a Colt Model 8 Pocket Hammerless. Another of those pistols who look larger in photos than in real life.
    -I imagine Herr Walther hoped that the Model 7 would be popular with military officers but sales were weak compared to the Model 4 which shut down production after just a few years. It's thought production ended in 1919 but since Walther production records were lost in WW2 we'll never know for certain.
    -The example I found is of the first variation, built in 1917. Not easy to find in decent condition, I watched a pristine example sell last year for an eye opening $2.5K. This one is in better than normal condition, an excellent place holder. Don't think I'll have much trouble finding a proper vintage holster for it.
    -BTW, I've saved the best for last. The final recent find should ship this week. Something extremely rare and a total surprise to me. Never thought I'd add one to the collection, pure blind luck. I'll tease by saying it's a straight pull sporter over 100 yrs old and leave you guessing for now.

Attachments

• IMGP9984.JPG
      IMGP9984.JPG
      256.2 KB · Views: 55
    • IMGP9985.JPG
      IMGP9985.JPG
      205.4 KB · Views: 54
    • IMGP9986.JPG
      IMGP9986.JPG
      196.2 KB · Views: 56
    • IMGP9987.JPG
      IMGP9987.JPG