• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thank you all for the compliments. I put alot of thought into my builds/gunsmithing. I dont like to add junk and I think about form and function during every step.

For Rifles theres no better weapons than an AR and AK in my book.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Beautiful rifles, I'm jealous!
    I just picked up a MAK and will be getting some IWD furniture for her soon. I would like to eventually get the bolt carrier polished as well. Still debating if I should attempt it myself or have a professional do it.

For polishing, it all comes down to equipment. The polishers (Pedistal Buffers)I use are industrial and I use several grades of polish. If you had to buy it all just for one bolt it would be cost prohibitive. If you already have it then you are golden. I use 220, then 400, then 500, then 550.

Some people use dremels and in my experience they never come out smooth because the dremel heads are not wide and cause waviness. It can be done but just go slow. If you take your time and be patient you CAN pull it off.

If you decide to not do the job or start and decide its not for you let me know and Illhappily take on the work.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Thanks! I have no experience in doing something like this. So you might here from me in the near future. Most likely after the holidays. Currently the bolt and piston are filthy. I'll post some pics to give you a better idea of what I'm working with.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    These are pictures of the bolt, bolt carrier, and the piston. I recently pulled this out of my Dad's safe and have decided to clean it up a bit. I've only shot it once and did a quick cleaning afterward. I'm new to the AK platform and haven't really had much experience with working on the internals of one.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
      IMG_0010.jpg
      46.3 KB · Views: 157
    • IMG_0008.jpg
      IMG_0008.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 153
    • IMG_0014.jpg
      IMG_0014.jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 157
    • IMG_0011.jpg
      IMG_0011.jpg
      33.1 KB · Views: 148

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yeah she needs some TLC indeed. The piston can be cleaned up with a wire sheel to remove the carbon from the hard chromed piston.

The Bolt and Carrier should be bead blasted then I can polish out the contact/bearing surfaces and the visible portion of the bolt when the gun is assembled.

A polished bolt dosent rust as fast as a bare or blued bolt due to closing up the pores of the metal.

Very good pictures by the way.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Thanks, well if you wouldn't mind doing the work that would be great. I don't have the tools to perform this type of work so I'd much rather have a pro take over. Feel free to PM me with the specifics to set this up. And thanks again for the help, its really appreciated!

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Chad, some of those pictures make me feel ways that images on a firearms forum should not be able to. I should have to turn off safe-search on google images to have that kind of reaction...

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    Beautiful finish on your wood furniture. Someone must have used the technique described in the "products this gunsmith uses" thread.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Back from the dead! To torment all the Combloc fans with the knowledge that our guns will NEVER look this good. :D

Everytime I see that darn PSL, I start thinking about putting other projects on hold to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom