• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    ...can go a long way! :thumbsup:

Sure, rendering dirty, smelly wheel weights and casting them into nice reloadable boolits yourself can be a PITA. But when a half o' bucket of crap has the potential to produce various calibers of boolits in cheap abundance...why not? :innocent0

With some vacation time on my hands and rainy weather coming, I set up my casting pot just inside my garage door. That made it simple to open up everything for fresh air so I could start/stop as needed. After a few hours of "range extension" time, those WW's became future range fun!

The half bucket of WW's is about gone now. That's OK, I have more. In its place is about 2000 assorted boolits that will soon be loaded into different rounds. Many will go into free range cases. Thanks for leaving those cases behind!

The past two days were not my first "boolit casting" rodeo. These boolits are inventory additions. Like reloading, boolit casting is only a part of the overall firearm collectiing and shooting experience.

These days, when ammo is so scarce, the ability to cast your own is a major asset!

So, why aren't you casting your own boolits?

:shrug:

Attachments

• Setup DSC09401.jpg
      Setup DSC09401.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 469
    • Many Boolits DSC09397.jpg
      Many Boolits DSC09397.jpg
      84.9 KB · Views: 484
    • Bucket Leftovers DSC09400.jpg
      Bucket Leftovers DSC09400.jpg
      63.6 KB · Views: 406

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    There is a local bullet casting company in Carrol county. Contact Dave at SouthernCastBullets.com . He will have a table at the Hagerstown gun show next weekend. very good quality and he can customize hardness. I get all my cast bullets from him.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I've got my nephew saving me wheel weights from his shop. I want to start trying it out when I am home for good. Space is my biggest concern though. Actually, lack of space is my biggest concern.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    There is a local bullet casting company in Carrol county. Contact Dave at SouthernCastBullets.com . He will have a table at the Hagerstown gun show next weekend. very good quality and he can customize hardness. I get all my cast bullets from him.

That's all well and good. But let me ask a few questions:
    - Does he supply sized & gas checked .30 cal boolits specific for loads in .308 and/or .312 caliber rifles like those in my pics?
    - There are .365 Mak boolits in my pics...does he have those?
    - How about those .329/205 gr. M95 Steyr boolits...?

There are many places folks can purchase common caliber cast boolits. Many sources are very good. Been there, done that.

Some of us with more experience prefer to row our own boats.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Be careful casting under a roof. Those pots create giant heat rays that go straight up. I warped the door frame of a Quonset hut and left a pretty bad melta gun impression on the underside of a portico trying to cast without getting rain in the pot. Both times the effects were extremely noticeable, but luckily, no one could figure out what would cause such damage.

If it's your house, though, your woman will figure it out, or just automatically blame you regardless, in this case correctly.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I asked around in hagerstown and honestly haven't found many places willing to give up the wheel weights. If I could I would prob be buying equipment asap.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Hooligan minds must be alike... I happen to get a half bucket of WW last week, and used the last couple days to get some more casting done. Needed to up my 45LC bullet surplus!

Gotta keep the toys fed!

Attachments

• 45coltRFbatch~1.jpg
      45coltRFbatch~1.jpg
      147.6 KB · Views: 317
    • 45coltRFbatch~2.jpg
      45coltRFbatch~2.jpg
      130 KB · Views: 319

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I asked around in hagerstown and honestly haven't found many places willing to give up the wheel weights. If I could I would prob be buying equipment asap.

There a couple scrap places in bmore city that sell scrap lead for less than a dollar a pound. EBay you can get it for around 1.50 shipped.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Wreck

Mar 9, 2012
    Bethesda
    Very nice, looks great. I wish I had a wheel weight source. Luckily my buddy, who showed me how to cast, has a plumber friend that gives him various scrap lead he comes across. To me, something about loading rounds that you have cast the bullets yourself into free cases and only paying for the primers and powder feels so good. Happy loading.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Ha....I do cast. My last batch was 1034, .38 wadcutters 148 grn out of 20:1 and 1300, .452 250 grn roundnose flatpoints out of Lyman #2 I mixed up. I'm going to sweeten up a 25 lb. bag of #2 magnum lead shot with some Sn for the next batch I melt up.

Meatasaur

Feb 21, 2013
    There a couple scrap places in bmore city that sell scrap lead for less than a dollar a pound. EBay you can get it for around 1.50 shipped.

Where in Bcity are you finding lead? I run around to all the garages and tire companies in Baltimore and get very little for my efforts. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Where in Bcity are you finding lead? I run around to all the garages and tire companies in Baltimore and get very little for my efforts. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

There is a place on north ave and Pennsylvania that sells scrap lead. The more you buy the cheaper it is per pound. Can't remember the name but Google should find it.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    I have no trouble finding WW's I have a bud that owns 2 tire shops and another bud whom owns an auto repair shop so they cover my needs. Haven't had to replenish my stock in over 10 years and all I shoot is cast. I prolly have over a ton of ingots in the cellar. All my rifle casting is done with linotype, acquired a tad over a wheelbarrow load before it disappeared and printing by press vanished. The linotype works very well in reifle loads and magnum pistols, only thing I use lead for is roundballs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom