• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

I know I'm prob get hammered for re-finnishing a C&R gun but this was driving nuts (not sure why but it did)
    Here it is before:
    707p.jpg

Mosin after:
    qij8.jpg

One more:
    qh8n.jpg

I did a light strip, (to get the shellac off) used a stain on the whole gun and top it off with 2 coats of varnish.

It didn't turn out too bad - I've see worse.:rolleyes:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    It's your gun, screw what negative comments others may have. So far though, nothing but positive response in this thread. I'll add my own: looks great!

I think that the so-called "negative" comments that are posted her about refinishing, "tacticool-ing", and other such unnecessary mods to C&R firearms are justifiable in that this is a Curio and Relic forum, C&R is a collectors' license, and making certain changes to these firearms diminishes their collectible value.

Yes, it's his firearm, and he can do what he wishes with it, but if this were an antique car restoration forum, and someone came in talking about "hot-rodding" their antique car, that would be inappropriate. You essentially saying "screw them" is unnecessarily inflammatory and creates polarization, rather than an exchange of ideas.

When I say something about a gun that's been modified unnecessarily, it's not to criticize the owner (it's his gun), but to let people who come here to learn know that there are ways to preserve the value of a C&R, and ways to diminish that value.

He's done a nice job on that one, BTW, but I thought it was fine as it was before. He found the two-tone wood to be disturbing. Some of us find glossy varnish to be even more disturbing. We are all entitled to voice our opinions without any "screw you" comments.

Last edited:

ziptiespec

I'm sorry that you've taken offense at my comments. Trust me, I was speaking generally, not specifically toward you or something you've said in the past. I was merely trying to allay OP's concern about his post and offer support and my appreciation of his work.

Also, I'm not playing semantics, but I never said "screw them" or "screw you". Thanks for sharing your opinion on the rifle and for sharing your opinion on my opinion :)

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'm sorry that you've taken offense at my comments. Trust me, I was speaking generally, not specifically toward you or something you've said in the past. I was merely trying to allay OP's concern about his post and offer support and my appreciation of his work.

Also, I'm not playing semantics, but I never said "screw them" or "screw you". Thanks for sharing your opinion on the rifle and for sharing your opinion on my opinion :)

Nope. I didn't take it personally. I didn't think you were talking about me, specifically, even though I'm among those who openly prefer not to modify a C&R firearm unless it's truly necessary.

And you are right: you didn't say the exact words, "screw them", or "screw you". But the tone came off essentially as saying, "Screw what they think!" As you noted, nobody had bashed the OP for what he did, and I doubt that anyone would have. It's not that big a deal ... but I still would rather that an inexperienced newcomer not come here, see posts of that sort, and think it's what we are all about. It's their gun, and their decision ... but they deserve to be able to make an informed decision before they make changes that they can't reverse. Although it's not a big deal to do something minor to a Mosin, I'd hate to have a new guy who's lurking here see something like that and think, "Wow! I've got that early octagonal Winchester carbine of great granddad's in the closet, and the stock has a scuff. I'll go strip, stain, and varnish it like I saw them doing on the C&R forum."

See what I mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom