• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    After handling several small carry-oriented pistols, Mrs. Occam gravitated towards Ruger's new(ish) Max-9. She likes my P365, but has a hard time with the mag release shy of seriously altering her grip. She shoots the G43 and the Hellcat well, but wanted something with a safety for when ... she wants a safety. The Ruger is a hair larger in some dimensions, but is a lot more rounded off in places where the others are less so. The Max-9 just suits her. Done!

So we brought it out and put a hundred rounds through it, and experienced (in her hands, but not mine) the slide locking back on not-empty mags ... about 3 times per 12-round mag. Not acceptable! Did some homework, and it appears there were some shipped with an issue causing this problem, but not enough to go through the full drama of a recall.

Called Ruger customer service, and had a very attentive, helpful chat with a lady in Prescott who knew of the issue, and said she'd take care of it immediately. Before we were off the call, I had an email with a printable FedEx label. Boxed it up minus the accessories as asked, and took it to a FedEx office (she found it for me) that accepts hazardous shipments up 'til 8:00 that evening. The lady at the FedEx counter takes the box from me, and I said, "I'm supposed to tell you there's a firearm in this box." Her eyes go wide and she says "Oh lawdy Jesus!" and then lets out a big laugh and tells me it's her fifth one that day, and she'll get me taken care of.

The box was in Ruger's Prescott facility in two days, and they kicked it back to us by two-day UPS the following day. Emails to us at every step of the way, and a reminder that someone over 21 was going to have to sign for the box at our door. I'd never shipped to a manufacturer before, and was kind of amazed that I didn't have to launder all of this through my LGS, and they'd just return it right to the house. Amazing (for me, anyway! BGOS strikes again!).

So there was the returned pistol back to us the same week, and ready to go out and be put through the ringer. They basically replaced everything that didn't have a serial number, just to bring it all up to current shipping Max-9 specs. Three hundred rounds of mixed ammo, and not a single problem of any kind. Mrs. Occam is happy, made lots of better and better groups, and is now test driving holsters in advance of her Wear & Carry permit, expected sometime in the next couple of weeks. So it's a shame we had to deal with a problem, but Ruger handled the matter with grace and stellar speed, and I'm reminded why I own so many of their firearms (and a fair number of shares of their stock).
    DSC_1205.jpg
    DSC_1166.jpg

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I have always found Ruger's Customer Service to be First Class... good to hear it's still that way. Glad Mrs. O is enjoying her new found freedom.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Great story, glad everything worked out.

My wife became a huge Ruger fan due to her first gun being one, now she has a few of them.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    In this day and age, really good customer service is rare. That sounds outstanding. Even better if you don't have to deal with 10 minutes of automated systems to speak with a human, and 20 minute wait time.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    In this day and age, really good customer service is rare. That sounds outstanding. Even better if you don't have to deal with 10 minutes of automated systems to speak with a human, and 20 minute wait time.
    Best way to handle that sort of thing at Ruger is to hit their web site and start a customer service request using the form they provide there. For some things, no call is needed. But if you DO subsequently get on the phone with them, you have the form submitted already, so they have all your details, a case number, etc. Really greases the skids compared to just calling them out of the blue. I've worked on systems to run operations like that, and can tell they've given it all the time and training it deserves. That's how you win repeat business in a competitive market.

Last edited:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    After handling several small carry-oriented pistols, Mrs. Occam gravitated towards Ruger's new(ish) Max-9. She likes my P365, but has a hard time with the mag release shy of seriously altering her grip. She shoots the G43 and the Hellcat well, but wanted something with a safety for when ... she wants a safety. The Ruger is a hair larger in some dimensions, but is a lot more rounded off in places where the others are less so. The Max-9 just suits her. Done!

So we brought it out and put a hundred rounds through it, and experienced (in her hands, but not mine) the slide locking back on not-empty mags ... about 3 times per 12-round mag. Not acceptable! Did some homework, and it appears there were some shipped with an issue causing this problem, but not enough to go through the full drama of a recall.

Called Ruger customer service, and had a very attentive, helpful chat with a lady in Prescott who knew of the issue, and said she'd take care of it immediately. Before we were off the call, I had an email with a printable FedEx label. Boxed it up minus the accessories as asked, and took it to a FedEx office (she found it for me) that accepts hazardous shipments up 'til 8:00 that evening. The lady at the FedEx counter takes the box from me, and I said, "I'm supposed to tell you there's a firearm in this box." Her eyes go wide and she says "Oh lawdy Jesus!" and then lets out a big laugh and tells me it's her fifth one that day, and she'll get me taken care of.

The box was in Ruger's Prescott facility in two days, and they kicked it back to us by two-day UPS the following day. Emails to us at every step of the way, and a reminder that someone over 21 was going to have to sign for the box at our door. I'd never shipped to a manufacturer before, and was kind of amazed that I didn't have to launder all of this through my LGS, and they'd just return it right to the house. Amazing (for me, anyway! BGOS strikes again!).

So there was the returned pistol back to us the same week, and ready to go out and be put through the ringer. They basically replaced everything that didn't have a serial number, just to bring it all up to current shipping Max-9 specs. Three hundred rounds of mixed ammo, and not a single problem of any kind. Mrs. Occam is happy, made lots of better and better groups, and is now test driving holsters in advance of her Wear & Carry permit, expected sometime in the next couple of weeks. So it's a shame we had to deal with a problem, but Ruger handled the matter with grace and stellar speed, and I'm reminded why I own so many of their firearms (and a fair number of shares of their stock).
    View attachment 377402 View attachment 377403
    Sounds very good in the way that they handled your case. And also good that she was able to choose a pistol that she is comfortable with.

Another company, which I found treats their customers with similar care and respect… is ARMSCOR. They are the American side of RIA. I had an issue with a RIA1911, contacted ARMSCOR, talked with a company Rep/Gun Smith, FedEx overnight out, UPS return… 6 day turn around time. Great service and great work. Zero costs to me.

So I know the feeling of having a firearms company stand and deliver when their product was in question. :thumbsup:

Safe and happy carry for both of you.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I had an issue with the finish on one of my stainless Ruger revolvers a few years ago. My experience matches yours. Very helpful, very quick to make it right. Glad the Missus has a handgun she's comfortable with.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I own a couple of Ruger revolvers and sent one back for a minor issue. Similar experience as Occam. I mentioned to the woman on the phone how impressed I was with the quality of their firearms AND support. She put a Ruger hat in the box with the firearm. Oh yeah...

I don't know anything about what it's like to work there but from the outside, Ruger is amazing. :thumbsup:

Mondial

Colt .45
    Nov 29, 2018
    Columbia
    I had a similar experience with Ruger customer service. A minor concern i called about immediately became a shipping label and an offer to look at the Mark III 22/45 to examine it. It was sent, repaired and returned to my house in a very short time span. < 2 weeks as I recall.
    A very happy and impressed Ruger customer!
    I am glad I have more than one Ruger product:-) knowing they have this kind of customer service.
    H&K and Marlin on the other hand..........

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I am glad I have more than one Ruger product:-) knowing they have this kind of customer service.
    H&K and Marlin on the other hand..........
    Well the good news is that now Marlin IS Ruger. So at least on newly made Ruglin rifles, we should expect the same quality of service/support. Not sure what happens with repairs to pre-Ruger Marlins.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Do they still give a highly detailed AAR and parts list as done so in the past? I was floored when I read what they had done to my P345 and my son's SR45, after only needing, what I thought was, a minor correction.
    ETA... as said upthread... everything but the serialized part... replaced.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Do they still give a highly detailed AAR and parts list as done so in the past? I was floored when I read what they had done to my P345 and my son's SR45, after only needing, what I thought was, a minor correction.
    ETA... as said upthread... everything but the serialized part... replaced.
    Yup, they provided a list of replaced parts which pretty well read like a parts list for the entire pistol. In some cases, an "assembly" to keep the list of springs, pins, and screws shorter, I suspect. They also sent along a very nice silicone-infused wipe-down cloth you'd probably spend $10 on at a sporting goods store, and a letter thanking us for our patience (!) while they worked on the issue (for one day!).

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    That's awesome... I actually hand wrote a letter of appreciation for the kind of customer service they provided and snail mailed it off to them... I was THAT impressed.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    That's awesome... I actually hand wrote a letter of appreciation for the kind of customer service they provided and snail mailed it off to them... I was THAT impressed.
    Funny you should mention that. I used their customer service contact form again to go on the record thanking them for running such a tight ship, and providing a report on the serviced pistol's newly flawless performance. Got an immediate response saying how glad they were to get feedback, and that she'd pass it along to the CEO's office because he personally likes to tune in to any post-service commentary that comes back their way. You can definitely feel the corporate culture, here.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    That's refreshing to hear in this day-and-age where corners are cut, and customer service seems to always suffer. This will affect my next purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom