• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Sooooo...I'm finally in the last stages of my SBR build up. I just can't freakin' get the handguards on. The delta ring is a bitch, and since I last had to do this like 2+ years ago, it appears some mild arthritis has set in on my 51-year-old hands and it's much more difficult than I remember.

Besides "get younger", "get stronger", and "don't be a *****" you got any tips/tricks for getting the handguards on if I DON'T have the handguard tool?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Sooooo...I'm finally in the last stages of my SBR build up. I just can't freakin' get the handguards on. The delta ring is a bitch, and since I last had to do this like 2+ years ago, it appears some mild arthritis has set in on my 51-year-old hands and it's much more difficult than I remember.

Besides "get younger", "get stronger", and "don't be a *****" you got any tips/tricks for getting the handguards on if I DON'T have the handguard tool?
    Get the hand guard tool:D

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    If you do not own the correct tools, use faucet grip pliers. Failing that, you can run some cable or strong cordage through small diameter fuel or coolant bypass line, bind tightly on delta ring, and exert force rearward with upper anchored appropriately.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I just put a set on the other day. I put the top one on first then the bottom piece. Not sure if that matters, but it wasnt working when i tried the bottom first.

I also have the tool in frederick if you need to use it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    arnold_ad.jpg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    a stop gap if you have an assistant and a set of coated handle water pump pliers (often called water pump pliers):

Ensure unloaded rifle.
    Set pliers on widest jaw opening.
    Set rifle barrel up on butt.
    Straddle delta ring with center of plier handles.
    Pull down on delta ring pulling on both ends of pliers.
    Assistant puts guards in place.
    Relax pull on d-ring.

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    Agreeing with everyone above suggesting using the handles of channelocks as a handguard tool. Works great.

owldo

Ultimate Member

It Works !
    1671999167653.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom