• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    I got a phone call a few weeks ago, one of those automated jobbies, from the City of Aberdeen. Seems there is a rash of thefts from unlocked cars - "they" go along, trying car doors till one opens, then steal whatever it is they want. I listened the message, heeded the warnings and was even grateful for the notice.

Evidently, last night, either I forgot to lock the car (most likely) or I locked the car with my remote and the driver's side lock was stuck in the unlocked position (possible, my lock has been sticking lately, but certainly not as likely) and I became a statistic this morning. If they got anything beyond a few coins, I'd be surprised. There were quarters, nickles and dimes left in my change holder... Still, I did some pretty dumba$$ things, like left my wallet in the car (no cash was in it, and all my cards/ids were still there*). They didn't steal my cds, cell phone chargers, stereo or anything else. My guess, as well as that of the officer who took the report, is they were looking for cash and nothing else.

So, let my stupidity serve as a public service announcement. lock your cars and don't leave any valuables behind.

P.s. Ofc. Easton was very nice, courteous and professional. I suppose that's to be expected, but I figgered I'd mention it. I may even call over to the Police Station. I figure they mostly just hear the bad stuff, mebbe they should hear the good stuff once in a while, too.

p.p.s usually, i really am a stickler for making sure the car is locked before I go to bed. Just goes to show you, screw up once and you pay for it. Damn, I feel dumb today.

*i'm gonna spend the morning calling my credit card company/bank/social security and let them know someone may have had access to my personal info. Also, I believe i'm going to stay armed in my house for the next few days, in case "they" decide to come back for a bigger payoff... i doubt it seriously, but caution is perhaps warranted.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I am not in Aberdeen but this happens in my neighborhood in Silver Spring. Our cars got hit and the Moco cop said they are mainly looking for GPS devices. We dont use GPS devices but the cop advised against have any kind of mounting bracket for the GPS as its a sure sign that there is probably one in the glove box. They still ripped everything out of my center console though. They did get a gift card to target from my wife's car. Of course, had these crooks had amount of intelligence, they would have looked in the back seat of my wife's car where there was about $400 worth of baby shower presents that were all set to be exchanged/returned.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    It's not robbery... they were foraging... ;) Remember this is Maryland, we wouldn't want to call criminals, well, criminal.

;)

Mark

LawAnomaly

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2010
    Northern Calvert County
    A friend of mine had his car broken into, they stole some scratched cds and about 80 cents in change. He made out better as he got rid of some scratched cd's, change that was rattling around in the ashtray, and they left behind their car break in tools that were worth alot more than the stuff they took. The police dusted the tools for prints, found none and let my friend keep them as a consolation prize. (this was in balt. city)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom