• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • briwayjones

What if I want to fullscreen it directly from the embedded video without going to youtube to watch it fullscreened? Which kind of defeats the purpose of having an embedded video instead of just a link to a video. On other forums you can click the fullscreen button on the embedded video itself and it will fullscreen without going to youtube. That is what I'm asking about. Here is an example.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2204531

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I admit I was a bit snarky and apologize Norton. But honestly I have little tolerance anymore for responses to questions that don't apply to the question and that they responded with without even really reading the question.

IMO don't respond at all in those cases.

You asked a question and you got an answer from the big man. Poking the bear with a stick isn't the wisest course of action on MDS.

Simple answer is, you can't unless you go to YouTube. You already had the answer from just trying to get it to go full screen and it not going full screen. It is just how MDS is set up.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I admit I was a bit snarky and apologize Norton. But honestly I have little tolerance anymore for responses to questions that don't apply to the question and that they responded with without even really reading the question.

I have little tolerance for people that don't seem to understand when people are trying to help them.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland

Just because, IYO, a response from someone does not apply to the question you were asking.....does not mean the person that responded was not genuinely trying to help you.

briwayjones

I have little tolerance for people that don't seem to understand when people are trying to help them.

Was there anything in that thread that applied to my question? I'm asking seriously. I read that thread but quickly. It seemed like it only dealt with embedding a video which I was clearly not asking about.

The way it appeared to me is that you just saw "embedded video" and thought "good grief another person who can't figure out how to embed a video" and then just gave the canned response. Without really understanding the question. Now if that was not the case then I apologize. But unless there was something in the thread you posted that I missed then your response seems to backup what I'm saying is all.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    I'm no webmaster by any stretch of the imagination, but a quick search gave me this:

For VBulletin Forum Owners

You need to go to Styles & Templates –> Style Manager –> –> BBCode Layout Templates –> bbcode_video:
    Find:
    Code:

<vb:elseif condition="$provider == 'youtube'" />
    <object class="restrain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="385" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/{vb:raw code}">
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/{vb:raw code}" />
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
    </object>

Replace with:
    Code:

<vb:elseif condition="$provider == 'youtube'" />
    <object class="restrain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="385" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/{vb:raw code}&fs=1">
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/{vb:raw code}&fs=1" />
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
    <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
    </object>

If this is what you were looking for, it's something that appears to be written within the forum code itself. To allow that option, if it's even possible with this particular type of forum, would be up to the site staff to change.

The fine folks that serve as staff members here work mighty hard for no pay, to give us the best experience possible while we browse their forum. While you may not have intended to come across in a harsh manner, it certainly did appear that way, even in your apology.

I'm pointing the finger at myself as well when I say this, but I have found that the best way to get the result you want for a problem you have, is to first find a possible solution to said problem before you bring it to the attention of whomever you would like to address your concern.

Feb 28, 2013
    I just tried what the OP described in his link to that archery site, out of curiosity. It worked there, but it doesn't work here. I think that may be just the way we're set up, and not really worth attempting to change.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    is there a way for videos to autoplay?

I believe the YouTube embedding feature on this forum originally allowed you to auto play, but it was disabled because it was abused somewhat. (Imagine 20 instances of 'Amazing Horse' or 'Badger Badger Badger' all playing together....)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Was there anything in that thread that applied to my question? I'm asking seriously. I read that thread but quickly. It seemed like it only dealt with embedding a video which I was clearly not asking about.

The way it appeared to me is that you just saw "embedded video" and thought "good grief another person who can't figure out how to embed a video" and then just gave the canned response. Without really understanding the question. Now if that was not the case then I apologize. But unless there was something in the thread you posted that I missed then your response seems to backup what I'm saying is all.

Even assuming a quick read and a canned response. Why would you assume an eye rolling "good grief..." response on his part? Have you met him? Do you know him well from work?

Why not start out thinking "oh he took some time to help me, but maybe didn't read my question thoroughly enough" and offer thanks and a clarification.

Saying "sorry, but I have little patience for idiots" isn't really an apology.

briwayjones

If this is what you were looking for, it's something that appears to be written within the forum code itself. To allow that option, if it's even possible with this particular type of forum, would be up to the site staff to change.

I have been a mod an admin of vbulletin sites for many years. Not such much on dealing with the forum setup (somewhat) but not to the extent to where I have to deal with the code though. The reason I brought this up though is because I'm fairly certain this is a simple setting in the forum, a simple check box and you wouldn't even have to dabble in the code to make it work like that. Whether the embedding is the actual forum software or an add-on. And I know it would be up to the site staff to change. That's why I was posting in the comments section asking about it.

The fine folks that serve as staff members here work mighty hard for no pay, to give us the best experience possible while we browse their forum. While you may not have intended to come across in a harsh manner, it certainly did appear that way, even in your apology.

I'm not a stranger to the efforts of the volunteers admins of forums who run them for free and basically a hobby. As I said I have some experience in that.

I'm pointing the finger at myself as well when I say this, but I have found that the best way to get the result you want for a problem you have, is to first find a possible solution to said problem before you bring it to the attention of whomever you would like to address your concern.

I wouldn't call it a problem to find a solution to. This is a vbulletin site and the other sites where you can do this are also vbulletin sites. So I know it can be done unless there is something unusual about this site like it's too old of a version or something. And like I said before I'm fairly certain it is a simple setting.

briwayjones

Even assuming a quick read and a canned response. Why would you assume an eye rolling "good grief..." response on his part? Have you met him? Do you know him well from work?

Why not start out thinking "oh he took some time to help me, but maybe didn't read my question thoroughly enough" and offer thanks and a clarification.

Saying "sorry, but I have little patience for idiots" isn't really an apology.

I said I have little patience for people who respond without adequately reading a question. I didn't even come close or attempt to call him an idiot.

I know how busy people are with real lives are that run forums as hobbies are. I'm not a stranger to it.

This is where I'm coming from with my frustration and why I responded the way I did. I will admit to anyone that I'm not the best communicator. My frustration comes from the fact that I asked a short I think mostly straightforward question. And the help response I got was totally unrelated. I don't even see how my question can be rearranged so that it could convey that message. I will freely admit that many things I try to communicate need clarification. But when you basically have a one sentence question, that doesn't seem to even be able to be taken in the manner related to the response you received. It's like a insult almost, hence my frustration.

I asked could the embedded videos be changed to allow full screening. And the response I got is here, this is how you embed a video in a post. For a one sentence question basically. It's like if I had asked how do I set the parking brake on my car. And the response I get is, here this is how to turn your radio on.

No I haven't met or know Norton in real life. I guess I interjected the "good grief" in there mostly based on that that is a kind of universal introspective response pretty much anyone that has to provide help to computer users on a fairly regular basis develops. "Like good grief, I have to answer this same question again." And also I suppose partially based on just what my mental impression I have subconsciously developed of Norton reading his responses to other things, situations and people.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I have been on other forums where you can full screen the embedded you tube videos. On here you can't do that but it would be nice if you could. I find that I'm always trying to do that.

I have embedded a fair amount of videos. Not sure I want them to go full screen w/o my action required.

Click on the (you tube) icon in the video the you go to youtube, then you can select full screen. Not sure why the onus should be on a website.

briwayjones

I just tried what the OP described in his link to that archery site, out of curiosity. It worked there, but it doesn't work here. I think that may be just the way we're set up, and not really worth attempting to change.

If it's not an easy setting to change it may not be worth changing. Which I was basically trying to do in my original post. Gleam more information. Some kind of response like, "oh that's easy to change and I missed it we could do that". Or "no it's too hard to implement". Or "oh wow, while installing the forum software or add-on software I didn't even notice that was an option, we can do that".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom