• ...and so much more!
  • jaybee

Ultimate Member
    as I understand the HQL

you buy a HQL - get fingerprinted, trained, etc

it is good for 5 years
    it is good for multiple guns

questions:

do I have to renew this HQL every 5 years at the whatever rate for the rest of my life?

if I don't renew the HQL do they take my guns?

do I get a backgroud check for the HQL and then again for every gun I buy?

do I need a HQL to buy a gun or to keep a gun?

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    The HQL gives you the privilege of purchasing a handgun. Has nothing to so with possession. It is good for 10 years.

You only have to get it if you plan to purchase a handgun after 10/1.

And yes... You'll still have to go through the background check every time you purchase.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    But say I get a HQL and purchase another pistol but don't renew it. What happens to the pistol I purchased while it was good and its now 10 years later and I don't renew it? Let alone the ones I owned prior to 10/1

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    so they do a background check when you buy a HQL and then do a background check when you buy a handgun

which is stupid and now the wait time will be 180 days because MSP does twice the work

This is correct ... its government, not logic. The point is to make it difficult and annoying so you are less likely to do it, not to prohibit you from doing it (because they can't)

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    as I understand the HQL

it is good for 5 years

questions:

do I have to renew this HQL every 5 years at the whatever rate for the rest of my life? 10 years and the renewal is $20, I think

if I don't renew the HQL do they take my guns? NO!

do I get a backgroud check for the HQL and then again for every gun I buy? YES!

do I need a HQL to buy a gun or to keep a gun? Buy Only (for now)

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Again. The HQL gives you permission to purchase. It has nothing to do with possession.

That's how I read it, but what does the MSP read? They added firing 1 round to the training and firing a weapon was removed, so we thought from the Bill. Also AR-10 and other current, and presumed still unregulated, firearms are now being treated as regulated........... What a F'd up world we are living in. perhaps I will wake up from this nightmare one day soon.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    as I understand the HQL

it is good for 5 years

10 years

It allows you to purchase handguns, you will still need to fill out a 77R for each one and suffer a background check for each purchase.

questions:

do I have to renew this HQL every 5 years at the whatever rate for the rest of my life?

10 years, application and $25 fee, no fingerprints, no additional re-training.

if I don't renew the HQL do they take my guns?

No, you get to keep what you purchase.

do I get a backgroud check for the HQL and then again for every gun I buy?

yes

do I need a HQL to buy a gun or to keep a gun?

It is to purchase a handgun, not to possess one.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    But say I get a HQL and purchase another pistol but don't renew it. What happens to the pistol I purchased while it was good and its now 10 years later and I don't renew it? Let alone the ones I owned prior to 10/1

Nothing, the HQL is to purchase a handgun, not to own one.

If you own one now, there is no need to register it if it isn't already registered.

If you buy one with the HQL and then do not renew, nothing happens to the handgun, you get to keep it and enjoy it.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    so they do a background check when you buy a HQL and then do a background check when you buy a handgun

which is stupid and now the wait time will be 180 days because MSP does twice the work

Well, the HQL wait time will be 120+ days, then each rime you purchase a handgun it will be another 120+ days.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    That's how I read it, but what does the MSP read? They added firing 1 round to the training and firing a weapon was removed, so we thought from the Bill. Also AR-10 and other current, and presumed still unregulated, firearms are now being treated as regulated........... What a F'd up world we are living in. perhaps I will wake up from this nightmare one day soon.

MSP cannot change what is written in the law, they can try, but they will fail miserably.

And it's not LD officers that are showing up, it is rank and file troopers showing up with no clue.

AR10s at the FFL are still cash and carry.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Strictly speaking , the HQL dosen't give you permision to purchase a handgun. It gives you permission to apply to purchase a handgun ( ie permission to submit a 77R ).

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

It will be more than 180 days.

I know of a shop that is just now getting ND's back from mid-April. My application from mid-may is not back yet.

Now throw in the Fuster Cluck of the HQL and we'll see 210-240 days.

Bring on the law suits.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It will be more than 180 days.

I know of a shop that is just now getting ND's back from mid-April. My application from mid-may is not back yet.

Now throw in the Fuster Cluck of the HQL and we'll see 210-240 days.

Bring on the law suits.

The reason they are trying to clear the backlog is because on Oct 1 a completely new nonpaper based system is supposed to be implemented. MSP is trying to not run both systems at the same time. The new digital 77R program will not have the 180 day backlog when it is actually implemented.

Do you want to bet a steakhouse dinner on the digital 77R system having 60+ day backlog after the smoke from the lawsuits clears?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Well, the HQL wait time will be 120+ days, then each rime you purchase a handgun it will be another 120+ days.

The HQL is supposed to be issued within 30 days, I don't think there is any way they will be able to turn them around in that time period though.

Lemon328i

Mar 21, 2010
    The HQL does nothing but increase the cost, time and inconvenience to exercise our fundamental civil right. It was created by "researcher" Daniel Webster at Hopkins.

If this was proposed for voting, it would be a poll tax. If proposed for reporters and priests, liberals would be all up in arms that it is unconstitutional. It will take the Supreme Court to force Maryland to respect our gun rights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom