About to buy a Ruger LCP, want feedback.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    You KNOW you want one! :thumbsup:

PPKS0002s.jpg

Walther? Ill say after my last Walther experience I would never trust one for HD unless one really proved itself. Mine was an utter disaster...........good riddance to the dealer I traded it off too

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Walther? Ill say after my last Walther experience I would never trust one for HD unless one really proved itself. Mine was an utter disaster...........good riddance to the dealer I traded it off too
    Yes, a PPK/S, but older and made in Germany - quite solid and reliable. Nice summer gun. Very accurate, just too bad it's A) a .380 and B) not a 1911.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I miss my Walther, it was stolen by a family member. :mad54:

The interarms guns are not so good, but the S&W and German Walthers are sweet little guns, just a little too big and heavy for this application.

Mine was stainless, with night sights, I did a full carry bevel package and bead blasted it (Stainless), polished the feed ramp, and did a sweet trigger job. Gun was snappy but a beauty.

Nice Walther there Ed :)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    How about the S&W Bodyguard? It's a little pricier, but come with a guide rod laser from the factory.

crap! We got the revolver and .380 in at basspro. Even if they prove to be reliable, the ergonomics were just so f'd up that i instantly disliked them both. the bodyguard revolver has a laser on the rightsight rear top of the frame and the on/off button is on the rear of it. they also moved the cylinder release from the left side to the very rear of the frame above the grip. you have to reach your thumb up over the cylinder release(without releasing it) and press perrrty hard to get the laser to click on. the laser is completely on, pulses on/off and off. if you wanted to momentarily turn it on and then back off like a crimson trace, you've got to break your grip and hit the button 3 times. On a couple we've had in, i wasn't able to align the laser to the iron sights. the laser pointed about 2 feet high and to the right from POA at 15' even after maxing out the adjustments. also the trigger is way worse than the LCR. it is instantly heavy and then feels like it momentarile gets lighter in the middle of the pull somewhere then heavy again towards the rear. it's very hard to have good trigger control with it.

the .380 is more of the same. the botton to turn the laser on is too far forward to comfortably reach with your index finger and you really have to mash the thing hard to get it to turn on...again 2 modes with a solid beam and a pulsing beam. The trigger on the .380 also blows much harder than the LCP it's competing with. Like the revolver, the .380's trigger is heavy and long and not nearly as even or smooth as the LCP.

S&W def missed the ball on these two. The LCP or LCR with crimson trace aren't much more money but are both much better in ergonomics and function.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So for the guys who carry in the back pocket. Does it feel like you have to sit lightly on one cheek, or slide it around to be comfortable or anything?

For example, if you were going to the movies would you move it to a front pocket or just sit on it?

I have one of these: http://www.pocketholsters.com/Ruger_LCP_380_Pocket_Wallet_Ho/ruger_lcp_380_pocket_wallet_ho.html

I just sit on it. It is no less comfortable than a wallet. You will forget it is there. The only issue would be making sure you have a deeper back pocket. It is a little longer than an actual wallet.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Chad,

I have a Kel-Tec P3AT that I have put over 500 rounds through without a hiccup. It is my summertime carry gun. I can put it in my front pocket in a Ross closed end holster and it can't be detected. The draw with the ross holster is as easy as reaching into your pocket for change. Under some conditions it is not convient for me to carry with my M&P .45 or Sig 239 and the P3AT covers this void. As you have said before .380 hollow points don't always have good penetration but the P3AT is a close in gun and at face to face contact it is hard not to have penetration. I would not trade mine for anything because of its practically.

littlebr4d

Large Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Jarrettsville, MD
    I have a Sig P238. I love it.

My friend has a LCP, another has a P3AT. We went to the range together and all decided that the Sig was the favorite.

Accuracy, sights and trigger were all better on the Sig than the LCP or P3AT. Reliability between the LCP and Sig were the same. They never failed in any way, but the P3AT failed to feed 2 rounds.

Granted, the sig is about $150-$200 more than the LCP and is a bit heavier due to the metal frame. I also prefer the appearance of the Sig. :D

fsj9j7xr7srsea8t8fmn.jpg

gabdiiza21k3d6wqd766.jpg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Seeing this pic, I can understand the dif between the High Standard derringer wallet (which completely covers the gun) and this wallet.

You would pull the gun out of the holster before shooting. I don't think it would cycle in the holster. I think the pic is meant to illustrate the flap that keeps it from printing.

s197shelby

Jul 1, 2009
    crap! We got the revolver and .380 in at basspro. Even if they prove to be reliable, the ergonomics were just so f'd up that i instantly disliked them both. the bodyguard revolver has a laser on the rightsight rear top of the frame and the on/off button is on the rear of it. they also moved the cylinder release from the left side to the very rear of the frame above the grip. you have to reach your thumb up over the cylinder release(without releasing it) and press perrrty hard to get the laser to click on. the laser is completely on, pulses on/off and off. if you wanted to momentarily turn it on and then back off like a crimson trace, you've got to break your grip and hit the button 3 times. On a couple we've had in, i wasn't able to align the laser to the iron sights. the laser pointed about 2 feet high and to the right from POA at 15' even after maxing out the adjustments. also the trigger is way worse than the LCR. it is instantly heavy and then feels like it momentarile gets lighter in the middle of the pull somewhere then heavy again towards the rear. it's very hard to have good trigger control with it.

the .380 is more of the same. the botton to turn the laser on is too far forward to comfortably reach with your index finger and you really have to mash the thing hard to get it to turn on...again 2 modes with a solid beam and a pulsing beam. The trigger on the .380 also blows much harder than the LCP it's competing with. Like the revolver, the .380's trigger is heavy and long and not nearly as even or smooth as the LCP.

S&W def missed the ball on these two. The LCP or LCR with crimson trace aren't much more money but are both much better in ergonomics and function.

I hear what you are saying. Id still like to handle one myself. Are they out in the case? I know they aren't on the maryland handgun roster yet. Which store are they at?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Thanks much! Is the 380 in the case?

yup, it has been. it's a shame they don't let us take the trigger locks off for you to dry-fire stuff(but some associates *wink* will take you to the training room or admin office to take it off and let you try it). I work sat mornings this school year open-5pm. pay big attention to the controls for the laser.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I just bought one from 2A.....Going to the range this week....Broke it down, scrubbed her up and lubed her....She is ready for the range on Mon or Tues whichever is condusive to my schedule.

This is going to be a BUG for me, or a light carry for summer time. As for the sights as someone posted above, why would you need them for a little gun like this. This is designed for point shoot self defense. Don't plan on needing the sights for how I plan to use it. Just my opinion......

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Well I now have 3 to test. I couldnt decide between the S&W bodyguard .380 with built in laser, LCP (2 Tone) with crimson trace, and a Keltec .380 with crimson trace.

Now its time to see which one stays and which one goes. :)

Thanks for the input fellas.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Well I now have 3 to test. I couldnt decide between the S&W bodyguard .380 with built in laser, LCP (2 Tone) with crimson trace, and a Keltec .380 with crimson trace.

Now its time to see which one stays and which one goes. :)

Thanks for the input fellas.

Really tho? What is the hype about "testing" different pistols of the same caliber for a self defense shot? You land as many rounds center mass as you can safely without shooting bystanders. Are .380's or any caliber really that far off from each other at several yards? a .380 isn't a "match" pistol.

What is there to "test"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom