• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Anyone have a recommendation for a good accident attorney in Frederick, MD?

Wife got in a pretty good accident that totaled our 2 year old car. Police cited the other driver. Minor injury. We just want to get proper value for our car and reimbursed for a couple doctor visits.

I don't have much faith in our insurance company to make sure their's pays properly.

We aren't the type to go for something we don't deserve. It was an accident even though they were negligent being on the phone and running a red light. We still aren't going to take advantage of the system because we can. Just want to get back what we lost.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Hey pilot,

I"m a PI attorney and my firm does work in MD, VA, and DC.

As you can probably guess you have two separate claims.

1. The personal injury / medical claim.

For the injury claim, if you have a Maryland car insurance policy, you have personal injury protection coverage (PIP) on your OWN car insurance policy unless you specifically waived it. This coverage will help pay your bills. It's usually at least a couple thousand in coverage and you just have to gather all the bills and records and send them to your own insurance company and make the PIP claim. They will either send you or the hospital/doctor a check.

You can then do the same thing and make a claim against the insurance company of the person who hit you, also known as the liability carrier. They will have to also pay the bills regardless of whether your own insurance company or health insurance already paid them or not. In addition, they have to give you extra for your pain, suffering, and inconvenience. But they will only do this if you agree to settle all claims against them. There is no rush to settle. In fact, in Maryland you have three years to settle or resolve a personal injury claim. Let your wife get back to normal and make sure she's ok before doing anything else. What may seem like a minor injury may turn into something more later. The liability carrier will push you to settle hard, but again, no need to rush and you can resolve the car issues separately.

2. The property damage claim.

Your car will either be repaired or a total loss.

If it's repaired, you may have a diminution in value claim. This is the value of your car pre-accident versus the value of your car post-accident.

If it is deemed a total loss, the liability carrier will run a report that looks at the KBB/NADA value and also the value of similar cars that are for sale in a X mile radius and assign your car a value. There may be some wiggle room, but not much. If you have done any major work or upgrades to your car, gather the receipts or proof since this will increase the value. This may be things like an aftermarket radio, very new tires, etc. You can resolve this issue separately from the injury/medical issue.

Hopefully, I've been helpful, but you should also understand that this is not an attorney/client relationship. :) If you do have more questions or want to talk, feel free to let me know and I can send you my contact information. You will also find that your own insurance company will not help you make a claim against the other person for your wife's medical bills. They may or may not help you with the property damage aspect, but likely, they will not. They will probably just tell you that you have to make your own claim against the other company and then resolve it with them.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Anyone have a recommendation for a good accident attorney in Frederick, MD?

Wife got in a pretty good accident that totaled our 2 year old car. Police cited the other driver. Minor injury. We just want to get proper value for our car and reimbursed for a couple doctor visits.

I don't have much faith in our insurance company to make sure their's pays properly.

We aren't the type to go for something we don't deserve. It was an accident even though they were negligent being on the phone and running a red light. We still aren't going to take advantage of the system because we can. Just want to get back what we lost.
    hope the wife is ok try Mahoney and Mahoney He lives in Davidsonville but office is in Waldorf Md

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Larry Finnegan in Frederick. Guy guy, honest with you up front. FWIW I was in the same boat. My truck got hit, totaled. To paraphrase doggyjacket, either its fixable or totaled. You'll get book value plus whatever aftermarket.

My car insurance covered my medical then went after him. Once the car insurance runs out then medical kicked in. They went after him too for reimbursement.

I can sympathize, what sucked was I had a fully functional paid off truck and only got book for it. Book isn't' replacement and your really can't do anything about it.

Glad the wife will be ok.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Thanks for all the replies.

We are currently working through it all with our insurance company. The car is being assessed and at this point is repairable. At least until they determine what mechanical stuff needs to be fixed. Then they reassess. When the time comes to get a liability claim from their insurance company I'll have to decide if its worth getting an attorney.

On the bright side, my wife is getting much better and hopefully only has to see the MD for one more follow up

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Thanks for all the replies.

We are currently working through it all with our insurance company. The car is being assessed and at this point is repairable. At least until they determine what mechanical stuff needs to be fixed. Then they reassess. When the time comes to get a liability claim from their insurance company I'll have to decide if its worth getting an attorney.

On the bright side, my wife is getting much better and hopefully only has to see the MD for one more follow up

Good to hear about your wife. If its primarily a property damage claim then it generally isn't cost effective to hire a lawyer. Where a lawyer can help is if there are medical issues/expenses, subrogation claims and the intangibles like pain and suffering and economic damages.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Update:

Wife is doing great and the car was deemed a total loss. She went to the doctor 3 times and we gathered the bills to get reimbursement from the other driver's insurance company. I don't expect anyone to answer this as it is solicitation for free legal advise but someone PMed me with a generic pain and suffering calculation. Medical bills x 2 or 3 = Total Medical Compensation. I'm assuming I call their insurance company with the claim number and ask for a dollar amount?

Our insurance company deemed the car's value at exactly what I thought based on if I had to replace the car with equal mileage. I shopped around and the dollar amount was pretty close. Maybe a few hundred low. I don't think I have much room to haggle based on my research.

Anyway, I don't expect anyone to answer but I can't imagine a lawyer would take our case for a couple hundred dollars.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Update:

Wife is doing great and the car was deemed a total loss. She went to the doctor 3 times and we gathered the bills to get reimbursement from the other driver's insurance company. I don't expect anyone to answer this as it is solicitation for free legal advise but someone PMed me with a generic pain and suffering calculation. Medical bills x 2 or 3 = Total Medical Compensation. I'm assuming I call their insurance company with the claim number and ask for a dollar amount?

Our insurance company deemed the car's value at exactly what I thought based on if I had to replace the car with equal mileage. I shopped around and the dollar amount was pretty close. Maybe a few hundred low. I don't think I have much room to haggle based on my research.

Anyway, I don't expect anyone to answer but I can't imagine a lawyer would take our case for a couple hundred dollars.

I was in a minor traffic accident a few years ago and had some medical bills. My PIP coverage paid them and I had no out of pocket expenses. When all was said and done I contacted the adjustor for the other company and worked out a settlement for my pain and suffering, it was somewhere between 2 and 3 times the actual medical bill total.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    That's what most of the nice lawyers on here who have PMed me have said. I'm going to tally it all up and go with that.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    So it is finally over and the other driver's insurance company didn't dispute their driver was at fault. I asked for medical bills x3 but ended up getting medical bills x2. There was no negotiating. They basically said if you want more then sue us. They knew we had no intention of going through that BS.

In the end, we got screwed. We got the car 2 years ago at $28k new which was at cost. The insurance company gave us $25k for the car then the other insurance company gave us $2k for pain and suffering. We shopped around and to replace the car new was, again, $28k maybe a little less as it seems the price has fallen a little. We baby our cars so there isn't a used car alive that looks like our cars. We had about 20k miles on it but everyone says it still looks perfect. It did.

So a dumbass on the phone runs a red light and destroys our car and hurts my wife. They get off in court because the cop doesn't show up and we get to pay an extra $1k to replace our car.

What a great system we live under.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    you could go to small claims court, no lawyer, pay 50 or less for the court fee and can sue for up to 5k...or you could do a Judge Judy ;)
    Glad to hear the wife is doing better

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Next time, demand to be transported to the emergency room for your injuries and/or as a precaution.

Also, consider a public adjuster, like Dottrio to help itemize you losses.

Finally, get a front and rear dashcam. Their cheap, there is nothing like the threat of showing a jury the other parties gross negligence and the resulting suffering in crystal clear 16x9 HDTV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

S6T6

Dec 23, 2012
    So a dumbass on the phone runs a red light and destroys our car and hurts my wife. They get off in court because the cop doesn't show up and we get to pay an extra $1k to replace our car.

What a great system we live under.

First off, I'm glad your wifes okay bro.

Now I'm confused by your last statement..."What a great system we live under." You said in the beginning you weren't looking for more than getting the medical bills paid and car replaced correct. So now you're not happy that you got exactly that?

Like you said it was an accident. You can't deny you or your wife could have easily been on the other side of this. Everbody is guilty of violating the law by being on the phone at some point behind the wheel. Was it preventable sure, but everyone is okay and you got your car replaced & bills paid.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older and wiser or maybe just more crotchety, but you really shouldn't be entitled to get more than your cars current value and bills paid. You used the car for 2 years and it devalued by only $3000. Sounds like a better rate of depreciation than most. That's like $125/month over the 2 years if you think about it.

It's not the insurances fault, it's not a cops fault, it's not a judges fault, it's not even the systems fault. The system worked perfectlly in your case. Trust me I've seen countless instances where it hasn't. You got a completely square deal on the this one bro.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but there's enough pointless whining going on in this country right now.
    Now go hug your wife and be happy :)

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I think it is the systems fault. I think the other driver should be in jail. I'm opposed to light punishment because the outcome was okay.

I'm for Singapore punishment for violations of the law. I'm for deportation illegals solely because it breaks the law. I'm for capital punishment for "small" offenses.

If being on the phone while driving was a jailable offense. No one would do it. If knocking over a 7-11 was death penalty it wouldn't happen.

Yes, the system sucks. Your right my attitude was different because the outcome could have been worse and I assumed she was getting a big fat fine. I stated it was an accident but later learned the driver was negligent. I assumed the police officer would be in court and she would get her license suspended or similar punishment. Yes, I just wanted the value of what we lost but my assumptions were the legal system wasn't a total joke.

I'd gladly give all the money back if they told me she was going to jail for a year.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My wife and I were in a car accident where a guy ran a red turn light and ran right into our front end. Both of us had whiplash and had to go to therapy and take painkillers for a while. Still have neck issues from time to time. Watch out for that "soft tissue" damage. Watch those checks the other insurance company might send you....fine print on the back might state "cashing of this check signifies final settlement". And Don't file with your insurance company and have them go against the other company... Don't Do It!! Your company will charge you with a "chargeable accident" (meaning an accident where they had to pay $xxxx.) I have State Farm. Good Luck!

S6T6

Dec 23, 2012
    I think it is the systems fault. I think the other driver should be in jail. I'm opposed to light punishment because the outcome was okay.

I'm for Singapore punishment for violations of the law. I'm for deportation illegals solely because it breaks the law. I'm for capital punishment for "small" offenses.

If being on the phone while driving was a jailable offense. No one would do it. If knocking over a 7-11 was death penalty it wouldn't happen.

Yes, the system sucks. Your right my attitude was different because the outcome could have been worse and I assumed she was getting a big fat fine. I stated it was an accident but later learned the driver was negligent. I assumed the police officer would be in court and she would get her license suspended or similar punishment. Yes, I just wanted the value of what we lost but my assumptions were the legal system wasn't a total joke.

I'd gladly give all the money back if they told me she was going to jail for a year.

I believe the "punishment should fit the crime" and that the defense & states attorneys shouldn't get to knock the penalties down for a plea deal rather than a trial. I'm also in agreement that the system is flawed, but in your case it worked.

More times than not the at-fault party doesn't have insurance or both drivers insurance companies raise rates and/or deny claims and leave the non-at-fault driver to fend for themselves in civil court.

Traffic offenses such as running a red light are just a ticket, fine & points. It would never be considered a serious offense unless it led to a vehicular manslaughter charge.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be upset about the accident, but put yourself on the other side and I'm sure you would not think that you deserved a year in jail.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I believe the "punishment should fit the crime" and that the defense & states attorneys shouldn't get to knock the penalties down for a plea deal rather than a trial. I'm also in agreement that the system is flawed, but in your case it worked. More times than not both drivers insurance companies raise rates and/or deny claims and leave the non-at-fault driver to fend for themselves in civil court.

Traffic offenses such as running a red light are just a ticket, fine & points. It would never be considered a serious offense unless it led to a vehicular manslaughter charge.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be upset about the accident, but put yourself on the other side and I'm sure you would not think that you deserved a year in jail.
    As a pilot I can tell you the govt needs more stringent requirements for getting a license. If they tested drivers like they test airline pilots there would be a lot less accidents and a lot less drivers. There also needs much stronger penalties for negligence. Doesn't matter what the outcome of an accident is. Negligence is negligence and should include jail terms for it. Speeding, texting, etc should all include jail terms. There is no excuse for how people act on the road.

S6T6

Dec 23, 2012
    As a pilot I can tell you the govt needs more stringent requirements for getting a license. If they tested drivers like they test airline pilots there would be a lot less accidents and a lot less drivers. There also needs much stronger penalties for negligence. Doesn't matter what the outcome of an accident is. Negligence is negligence and should include jail terms for it. Speeding, texting, etc should all include jail terms. There is no excuse for how people act on the road.

Amen brother, you certainly nailed it there. I think after any at fault accident the person needs to be re-tested within 60 days. Also every licensed driver should get re-tested every 10 years until age 60, then every 5 yrs.

Being at fault is one thing but criminal negligence in a traffic accident isn't that easy to prove unless there's video or multiple witnesses.

Also don't forget that one of the worst traffic offenses there is (DUI/DWI) rarely results in any jail time. Why is that? Lawyers & lobbyists that's why. Not to mention that we live in one of the top 10 most liberal states in the country.

MD just now added the ignition interlock system for convicted DUI drivers. It's a start, but they still don't spend the night in jail. They are issued tickets and out the door they go. Can't blame the Police they didn't make the law. It's the lawyers, law-makers & courts that prefer to believe drinking and driving is a disease not a choice. I'll step off my pedestal now :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom