• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I bought my threaded barrel on eBay. It’s an 18” cold hammer forged Ruger barrel. I wasn’t as concerned so much for a boost in accuracy, so much as having threads for my suppressor. My point is, it’s very easy to switch them out. I also bought a BX trigger and a Magpul free float Hunter stock. No idea if it’s more accurate.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    If you noticed, he doesn't sell any Rugers. I believe he had one used Target. Everything else was Kidd, Volquartsen and TacticalSolutions. He has amazing stuff
    Yea, I noticed that. But I was suprised at the number BX 25 triggers he had. He did have some cool stuff.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    One thing I didn't see mentioned is the bolt. The bolt's face cut out for the cartridge rim is fairly generous in order to be lawyer proof and not create a slam fire. Even with match quality target chambers, the round will jiggle back and forth in the chamber.
    There's a guy, (I'd have to find his information) he machines a few thousandths off the front of the bolt face, squares and polishes the bolt. Seems simple, but then the extractor needs refitted and I believe the back angle of the bolt needs polished or re-contoured slightly.
    Your ammo would have to be consistent, match quality with no oversize rims.

Once you start with match quality barrels and target chambers you'll have trouble shooting bargain priced ammo. Anything out of round or with a crooked bullet will hang up, not chamber.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    2912-67e17007f1b448ef8a82ef8e14080785.jpg

the change in disconnect angle on the stock hammer did more than all the other polishing etc.
    simple. free.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Ruger used to sell a 10/22T, not sure if they still make them or not. Take a look at Kidd rifles
    https://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com/
    I have one of the old 10/22T rifles. Has a heavy laminated stock and stainless bull barrel. The trigger is also upgraded over their standard trigger, but I don't think it's as good as the newer BX-25. Still very accurate, but would be better with a lighter trigger.

shared_image (6).png

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Kidd SS Match Barrel $242
    Kidd Single Stage Trigger $285
    Kidd Two-Stage Trigger $350
    Cost for very accurate 10/22 = $527 to $592
    No gunsmith required. All user installed.
    (Lower cost improved triggers available.)
    My 10/22 outshoots my CZ457 VMTR by a mile.
    (And my 457 has been recrowned, trigger modified and metal/epoxy pillar bedded as per ARA Factory rules.)
    And last I checked, my 457 wasn't a semi-auto. (Lotsafun.)
    Again, forget about the stock/chassis, receiver and bolt as these will have little to no effect on precision, money for nothing.

PS -
    1) erwos is correct about ammo - great precision gains can be achieved simply by using a good/premium ammo that has been tested to work in YOUR rifle.
    2) I will NEVER do business with Brimstone again. I had a terrible experience with this vendor.

Last edited:

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    I had to look his name up but I used to read a lot over on rimfirecentral. There was a guy named 'Nemohunter' that did some magic on the chamber end of stock Ruger barrels for not much money. You just sent him the barrel I think. Not sure if he is still around or others do something similar. From what I remember the two biggest issues with stock 10/22 barrels are the chamber end and the barrel band if it has one.

I sent him my barrel and money. He disappeared. I was not the only one. He’s a pos. Do not deal with him. I forget his real name now. It’s been about 10 years. I bought a green mtn barrel, maybe it was whistle pig? Anyway bought an aftermarket barrel for that rifle. Also bought a super grade for real target shooting. One thing about super accurate 22s. Ammo cost. It’s like any other chain. To get out of the rifle what it would do, ammo started at $20 a box and was best with the expense of lot testing. I quickly discovered I was a cz and Sk+ kind of guy. You are not going to get accuracy shooting thunderturds.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have about $3K in my 10/22. It shoots as well as my CZ 455(that has a Whistle Pig barrel as well), dime size groups at 50yds with Eley biathlon ammo. I bought these to upgrade it. The only original part is the receiver that it came with when I found it the closet as a carbine. It was left behind by my mom's boyfriend.

Last edited:

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I sometimes get bored shooting my 10-22 that started life as a bone stock thing and now has a heavy green mountain barrel and Hogue stock with an el cheapo scope, after a while I just end up putting rounds through the quarter sized hole I open up in the paper....it can easily be done and if you shop around, for not a lot of money

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I sometimes get bored shooting my 10-22 that started life as a bone stock thing and now has a heavy green mountain barrel and Hogue stock with an el cheapo scope, after a while I just end up putting rounds through the quarter sized hole I open up in the paper....it can easily be done and if you shop around, for not a lot of money
    I had a Green Mountain barrel. It was accurate but heavy. Take a look at the Whistle Pig barrels. You get all the accuracy and lose 1.5lbs. I think they are awesome.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I put in the upgraded trigger group, bull barrel off ebay and then a hogue stock designed for bull barrel and it was a tack driver.
    Used it suppressed for clearing out squirrels from my feeder years ago.
    I however just got a stock Savage bolt that was bull barrel and adjustable trigger and it was just as accurate.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I sent him my barrel and money. He disappeared. I was not the only one. He’s a pos. Do not deal with him. I forget his real name now. It’s been about 10 years. I bought a green mtn barrel, maybe it was whistle pig? Anyway bought an aftermarket barrel for that rifle. Also bought a super grade for real target shooting. One thing about super accurate 22s. Ammo cost. It’s like any other chain. To get out of the rifle what it would do, ammo started at $20 a box and was best with the expense of lot testing. I quickly discovered I was a cz and Sk+ kind of guy. You are not going to get accuracy shooting thunderturds.

OK wow. Thanks for providing that info for me and everyone. Like I said, it’s been awhile since I was on that site and I was going to send him a barrel but never got around to it which is good I guess. He had a lot of positive feedback for a time but I guess that didn’t last.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Oh yeah that too. The V block helps with droop. I just bedded the rear of the action into the stock.
    From what I remember, mounting the barrel in the V block eliminated the need to bed the action, it was allowed to free float. I think I read about it in an old Precision Shooting magazine article. I'll have to look and see if I still have it.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    No one mentioned a barrel bedding block yet?
    Ooops!
    Yes, proper receiver bedding is always a must for precision rifles. I use single 3/4" diameter aluminum pillars combined with steel epoxy bedding on my 10/22's.

Installed pillar prior to addition of steel epoxy bedding material (hence the drilled out area).
    4nB5jPA.jpg

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Ooops!
    Yes, proper receiver bedding is always a must for precision rifles. I use single 3/4" diameter aluminum pillars combined with steel epoxy bedding on my 10/22's.

Installed pillar prior to addition of steel epoxy bedding material (hence the drilled out area).
    4nB5jPA.jpg
    The system I am referring to uses a V block bedded into the stock forward of this area and has a top block with allen screws that are torqued. Lots of different ways to skin a cat.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    The system I am referring to uses a V block bedded into the stock forward of this area and has a top block with allen screws that are torqued. Lots of different ways to skin a cat.
    This guy. Some of the new non-Ruger receivers have a rear tang which has a screw as well. For rimfire I don't think a lot of bedding is needed especially in a 10/22. I put a little material at the rear of the receiver to take out a little slop between the stock inlet and the receiver. I do have a pillar bed in my stock as well that helps with getting a good fit with the receiver/stock and the one bolt. I guess the main goal is to have your barrel free float which will help with accuracy.

1707234515006.jpeg
    images
    45582937874_f262e5dea7_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom