• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    A guy I know here in NC has asked me to participate in an Action Pistol Match.

I have never shot in a competition before and I don't want to look like a moron. I'm pretty good at the range with a coupla buddies, but I don't know crap about shooting a match.

My wife and daughter said I'd be okay using my 1911 after watching a few youtube videos of matches. Both of them said I would be an idiot if I tried using the .44.

Anyone have any advice, pointers, etc? I'm not worried about times/scores or anything like that. I just don't want to embarrass myself.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    A guy I know here in NC has asked me to participate in an Action Pistol Match.

I have never shot in a competition before and I don't want to look like a moron. I'm pretty good at the range with a coupla buddies, but I don't know crap about shooting a match.

My wife and daughter said I'd be okay using my 1911 after watching a few youtube videos of matches. Both of them said I would be an idiot if I tried using the .44.

Anyone have any advice, pointers, etc? I'm not worried about times/scores or anything like that. I just don't want to embarrass myself.

You'll be fine. Yes on the 1911, no way on the .44.

Just be sure not to rush and listen to the RSO's commands. Do what they say and no more. They will give you step by step instructions.

Don't be the first shooter. On every stage let it be known that you are new to the game. They will let you watch a few run the stages so you can get an idea of what to do.

On the re holster remember you are not on the clock.

Don't worry about getting the game rules right the first time. Just aggressively attend to the safety rules.

Lastly try to relax a little and have fun!

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Take plenty of ammo, and as many spare magazines as you can. Also plenty of ammo.

Relax and take your time and enjoy yourself. Be safe, that's the single most important thing, and all that really matters.

Oh, and take plenty of ammo.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i'm not aware of much if any folks that after shooting their first match, wished they hadn't. what kinda match is is, ie, uspsa, idpa, etc? careful though you will find out about all the stuff you all of a sudden "need." if you happen to have a glock 17 or similar double stack (and holster, mag pouches etc) that will be your best bet. less reloading and also less recoil for faster follow up shots.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I've only had the chance to do one match. Biggest thing is safety. Since you carry it will be good practice in a more dynamic environment. Go have fun and you will learn a lot too. Just remember all your safety rules. Oh and they are right on the 44 if you want to be competitive, but it would be good practice with it since you carry it. You'll get a lot of practice reloading it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom