Active LEO in full uniform asked to remove firearm (Medstar urgent care)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don't know what it will take to get this through people's heads. Bad guys with guns don't care about your policies...

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    I can tell you 100% this isnt their policy and must have been done by the request of someone working there. Which is sad that they would stoop to that employees level and ask a LEO in uniform to remove their firearm.
    You sure about that? That’s not my take

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    Why would any cop with sense wear his or her uniform when they’re not on duty and being paid?
    Maybe the guy was at work and got a call that his son injured himself and needed to be taken to the hospital. Would you expect him to go home and change his clothes before picking up his son to take him for medical treatment? If anything whoever told the officer to disarm caused the child's medical care to be delayed. I'm sure once the officer was told this, he went elsewhere to seek treatment for his child. Asking a cop to be in full uniform while unarmed is ridiculous in today's environment.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    In uniform or out of uniform, in squad car out of squad car should be no concern or factor on a legal carry.

I was given a business courtesy at Md. State Fair carrying to pick up monies. I showed my permit and invoices and the guy said no worries you are working.

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    Maybe the guy was at work and got a call that his son injured himself and needed to be taken to the hospital. Would you expect him to go home and change his clothes before picking up his son to take him for medical treatment? If anything whoever told the officer to disarm caused the child's medical care to be delayed. I'm sure once the officer was told this, he went elsewhere to seek treatment for his child. Asking a cop to be in full uniform while unarmed is ridiculous in today's environment.
    This . They also told him He could wait in the car while “they” treated his child (who was a minor). He left and went somewhere else

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    This . They also told him He could wait in the car while “they” treated his child (who was a minor). He left and went somewhere else
    I'd be reaching out to the security director for Medstar. It just so happens that it's the retired superintendent of the State Police, William Pallozzi.

Ap5fan

Sep 26, 2022
    Cockeysville
    Why would any cop with sense wear his or her uniform when they’re not on duty and being paid?
    I believe the poster said the officers kid was there for an x-ray, maybe something happened while the officer was on duty and he picked his kid up and went right to the facility.

Ap5fan

Sep 26, 2022
    Cockeysville
    You sure about that? That’s not my take
    I am 100% sure its not Medstar policyas a whole , another person already commented they were at Medstar WHC (Washington Hospital Center) ans they are an officer and wasnt asked to take their firearm off. Maybe whoever runs the Bel Air Facility has their own rule or like I said maybe someone "felt uncomfertable" who knows.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So you're saying citizens and cops are now being treated equally? No qualms here.
    More like patients.

If a patient is going to seek treatment at Medstar, they need to disarm before entering the premises. My guess is they (aka Medstar) do not have to capacity to ensure the safety/security of valuables and firearms.

A LEO in the performance of their duties, should not be expected to disarm.

Last edited:

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    2 things:

So you're saying citizens and cops are now being treated equally? No qualms here.
    1) Nothing "equal" about this situation. A cop in uniform, on duty or off, can easily become a target. They may also be expected to act in a situation where citizens might not.

2) I'm recently retired fed LEO, and I couldn't agree more on "LE carve outs". I'm old enough to join the "I will not comply" and "concealed means concealed" crowd. I do, however, have two teenage sons that are quite proficient with firearms. Neither has an interest in LE and I want their rights to match my own. I'm all for killing carve outs.

But this situation goes beyond equal rights for citizens and cops.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I'm just envisioning the Karen that told the officer to put his gun in his car screaming "DO SOMETHING" when a dickhead active shooter comes into their facility.

With the number of LEO's that have committed "mass shootings" I'm sure she's right on this. SMFH...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    2 things:

1) Nothing "equal" about this situation. A cop in uniform, on duty or off, can easily become a target. They may also be expected to act in a situation where citizens might not.

2) I'm recently retired fed LEO, and I couldn't agree more on "LE carve outs". I'm old enough to join the "I will not comply" and "concealed means concealed" crowd. I do, however, have two teenage sons that are quite proficient with firearms. Neither has an interest in LE and I want their rights to match my own. I'm all for killing carve outs.

But this situation goes beyond equal rights for citizens and cops.
    Who is expected to take control of your firearm when you are unconscious?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Did I miss something? WTF does that have to do with the conversation?
    When an armed off duty LEO enters a hospital as a patient or a patient's family member, is very different than a LEO there in performance of their duties.

What would happen to the LEO's firearm if they have to be sedated, or go into an area of the hospital where an MRI (a huge freakin magnet) is needed? The hospital does not have security boxes, and it's unlikely the staff would be trained to safely handle the firearm.

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    Yes, that's very true, but I'm getting tired of carveouts for "LEO/retired LEO" in just about every gun law we have.
    I have to agree with you. While I have a great deal of respect for LEOs and the job the do, it should not earn them special considerations within the law when they are not on duty. Just my opinion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom