Active LEO in full uniform asked to remove firearm (Medstar urgent care)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    In uniform on or off duty seems like the low risk situation. Probably going on or coming off duty if he’s in uniform. Jeez.

I guess don’t complain when an off duty cop decides not to use his police powers and gun when in regular guy/gal clothes.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Unless you are called for an emergency, Medstar hospital locations and facilities, will, and have, asked LEO in FULL UNIFORM to remove their firearms and store them in their vehicles. If not they will ask you to leave and deny treatment. True story firsthand knowledge
    Good, if they won't let a citizens with a carry permit carry, than any LEO not on duty shouldn't be able to either.

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    The fact that we are splitting hairs on this is the problem, the fact that a Uniformed police officer was asked to remove his firearm in order for his child to receive medical attention, just shows how far we have gone. Semantics do not matter in this situation. It’s part of the bigger picture of control and disarming society. Even LEO aren’t safe and it’s only going to get worse. This would never have happened 3 - 5 - 10 years ago

Wayneb

Dec 31, 2018
    Ellicott City, MD
    Nothing new. Many years ago (1969-70) my late father was a sergeant with the Friendship Airport Police. After work he stopped by Two Guys on Ritchie Highway in full uniform to do some shopping. He was quickly accosted by management & told he needed to leave because a uniformed & armed cop would upset people. They might think something was happening. They argued back & forth & he left. He didn’t go back for a long time.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Fairly certain that isn't widespread, unless its a new policy. I'm a detective and am in WHC pretty regularly for shootings. Never been asked to secure my gun.
    "Unless you are called for an emergency". I think shootings qualify

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    "Unless you are called for an emergency". I think shootings qualify
    It's not an emergency when I get there. It's an emergency when patrol officers are called and need to give life saving treatments. By the time I get out of bed, brush my teeth, get dressed and drive there an hour later, it is no longer an "emergency".

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I work at a medstar hospital.
    Medstar has a no weapons, firearm policy for employees.

Our security is not arm as is any medstar security person in MD. Washington “may” be different but don’nt believe so. allowed to be armed as it is against policy.

The only armed protection is the off duty police we hire in the ER because employees can not be armed due to policy. Police do work closely with our security department.

Never in my ( 30 years) knowledge has a armed law enforcement person ever been asked to disarm or leave if not doing so.

Remember only cops should have guns not employees is their thinking. Lol

Police in uniform or undercover open carrying do so freely inside hospital including armed Brinks drivers picking up money’s from bank machine,dietary,gift shop, ect.

Now being asked to disarm inside a mri room, yes no metal allowed...
    Those magnets are so strong they can pull a metal splinter you may have in your body out of your body through whatever path it chooses.

Why a mechanic or construction worker will be required to get X-ray before mri. To check for possible metal spec in eye or body.

Also there is a big push, message, move within the system to report by any employee ( empowerment) what they may perceive as a threat or possible threat to employee or patient safety. We even need to watch a training video on this.
    This their latest item on their work place safety training .See something, say something, ect.

Prompt cares may have their own policies above what medstar requires.

Side note not sure Polozzi is still with medstar as corporate security chief. Will need to check tomorrow when back at work and check with my counter person director of security.

Not sure of encounter mentioned but am stating medstars policy on weapons as of now.
    And no we have no metal detectors nor do plan to install them anytime soon. Fyiw

regulator

For the police haters

Attachments

• images.jpeg
      images.jpeg
      8.4 KB · Views: 89

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member