• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cnw126

Oct 16, 2016
    Freeland
    Hello all,

I would like you all to talk me into/out of buying a 20" Adcore DI AR15. Saw the piston version at Duffy's yesterday and it was really nice. Don't kow much about there DI system.

Please share any experiences with Adcore or other 20" AR's that I should be looking at.

Looking for a good quality 20" AR. 1:7 or 1:8 twist. Ideally would like to keep the price under $1500 but willing to consider what is available.

I appreciate your input.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Howdy there shiny new member.

If you're looking for someone to talk you out of buying a rifle, you've come to the wrong place.

PS: Pitchers are kinda mandatory roun here. Jus sayin'.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I like 20 bbls, no they aren't inherently too long. A 20in A2 profile is the Bee's Knees.

But seeing as this is post 2013 Maryland, and the OP was asking about purchasing a rifle, rather than an upper for a grandfathered Lower, HBAR must be considered.

A 20in is still do-able, but more thought must go into exact bbl profile, the rest of (stuff hanging off it) and weight of buttstock to end up with a decent balance.

By contrast, a 16in HBAR will have a lot more leyway in setup to have acceptable weight and balance.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My 20" HBAR isn't too bad. 8lbs4oz with BUIS, no scope. It is front heavy, but it balances well if you put two hands on the thing like you should with a rifle. Bu comparison my .308 Sako with 3-9x40 scope is 8lbs6oz with scope and sling. So in hunting garb my 20" HBAR is probably going to be about 9.5lbs. Absolutely no lightweight, but it isn't that bad. There are plenty of short action bolt hunting guns with scope and sling that tip the scales a bit over 9lbs.

IMHO it just depends on what you want. Want a 200yd or less plonked and SHTF/HD gun? 16" and less is fine. Want something for out to 500yds and varmit or deer hunting? 18-20". .223 is of course kind of light for deer, but the kind you find around here (is not 300lb monsters) it can be okay with good shot placement and is legal for some of the medium size gun cartridges in .223 (out of 20" barrel most 5.56 and the hunting .223 rounds range from a little over 1200 to a little over 1300lb-ft with MD minimum of 1200 for a rifle. So 18" likely is too low energy except maybe one or two higher powered rounds if you care about trying to really follow the rules to the letter).

24" is really target of "fixed" varmit only IMHO (is you aren't squirrel or rabbit hunting with it). just too long and heavy to carry around the woods. A 24" HBAR would probably be over 10.5lbs with a scope on it.

As for piston vs DI...I don't think a piston gun has to follow HBAR because there aren't enough parts in common with an "AR-15" DI gun. Downside is that the gas piston system adds enough weight it is likely a wash between a lightweight profile piston AR-15 and an HBAR AR-15 and you have advantages on the DI AR-15. More ridgid barrel, DI possibly being more accurate than piston, more material to soak up heat.

Dunno. A fair few 20" HBAR DI AR-15s you can find for under $1000. I built mine for around $700 give or take $50.

Attachments

• IMG_2448.jpg
      IMG_2448.jpg
      46.1 KB · Views: 363

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    You should....

Go introduce yourself in the Introduction section, then come back here, and a post about a 20 inch upper will be waiting!!!!!!!

Edit never mind! Saw your intro thanks for posting!!

bkuether

Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I really really like my DelTon 20 inch upper. Don't dismiss them. Affordable and accurate. And you can get it in an HBAR config. Pretty heavy but you probably already know that.....

Attachments

• lastar.jpg
      lastar.jpg
      118 KB · Views: 341
    • delton.jpg
      delton.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 344

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am old school and love a 20" AR with irons. Another variant I like is the so-called dissipator. I have a Windham Weaponry dissipator upper with an HBAR barrel. The dissi is a 16" barrel with the same sight radius as a 20". My dissi has a carbine length gas tube under the hand guards; the front sight is not the actual gas block.

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
      DSC_0011.jpg
      87.1 KB · Views: 318

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    I have a 16" Adcore that is by far my most precise AR (i.e. more precise than a 16" Spider Tactical, a 16" Doublestar Dissipator and a 20" Rock River Arms Standard A2). Now, I don't know whether this would be your first AR. If it would be, personally I would not recommend the Adcore. No matter how nice it is, it's no doubt an exotic AR. If there is a problem with its DI system, there is one parts supplier to fix your problem, instead of one hundred.

Like a few others, I'm also a fan of 20" barrels, even though I only have one... Again, if this would be your first AR, I would recommend a 20" Rock River Arms LAR-15 "Standard" with an A2 upper, not an A4 (I'm another fan of iron sights but I'm no fan of a detachable carry handle on an A4 flat top). If you have the cash, eventually I would recommend two changes to it: replace its trigger with a Geissele Super Dynamic Enhanced (SD-E) trigger and replace the stock rear aperture for one like this, which unfortunately DPMS discontinued. I had trouble finding an alternative to point you to, unfortunately (and if I knew DPMS was going to discontinue it I would have purchased a handful of them). Well, enjoy your AR-15 shopping!

cnw126

Oct 16, 2016
    Freeland
    I have a 16" Adcore that is by far my most precise AR (i.e. more precise than a 16" Spider Tactical, a 16" Doublestar Dissipator and a 20" Rock River Arms Standard A2). Now, I don't know whether this would be your first AR. If it would be, personally I would not recommend the Adcore. No matter how nice it is, it's no doubt an exotic AR. If there is a problem with its DI system, there is one parts supplier to fix your problem, instead of one hundred.

Like a few others, I'm also a fan of 20" barrels, even though I only have one... Again, if this would be your first AR, I would recommend a 20" Rock River Arms LAR-15 "Standard" with an A2 upper, not an A4 (I'm another fan of iron sights but I'm no fan of a detachable carry handle on an A4 flat top). If you have the cash, eventually I would recommend two changes to it: replace its trigger with a Geissele Super Dynamic Enhanced (SD-E) trigger and replace the stock rear aperture for one like this, which unfortunately DPMS discontinued. I had trouble finding an alternative to point you to, unfortunately (and if I knew DPMS was going to discontinue it I would have purchased a handful of them). Well, enjoy your AR-15 shopping!

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Publius, thanks for your input. This is my first AR and the proprietary DI system is something that I was concerned about.

Not many choices for a 20" gun, or even an 18". I would definitely consider building but most of the lowers I am interested in are sold out. Nervous about the election.

I will keep you posted regarding what I end up with.

bkuether

Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Thanks everyone for your replies!

Publius, thanks for your input. This is my first AR and the proprietary DI system is something that I was concerned about.

Not many choices for a 20" gun, or even an 18". I would definitely consider building but most of the lowers I am interested in are sold out. Nervous about the election.

I will keep you posted regarding what I end up with.

Who isn't. You are among like minded folks here.... mostly.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Personal experience, I find the A2 or A1 stock gives proper balance with an 18" and 20" HBAR. I used a 6 position collapsible with two 20" HBAR uppers for a short period of time. I had to fill the battery storage compartments with lead shot to get some balance back - still was only better, not good. A 20" HBAR is typically more of a precision arm so a solid stock is needed. The time I had the collapsible stock with the two long HBAR upper setups I couldn't get consistent groups. Going to the A2 stock fixed that. Besides, I found myself always on position number 5 of the 6 position stock...same length as the A2. I don't see myself in body armor, doing entries (I use handgun for home defense), and light or heavy clothing didn't affect my adjustment.

The 16" HBAR with carbine length gas system has good balance even with the telescoping stock.

Last edited:

bkuether

Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Personal experience, I find the A2 or A1 stock gives proper balance with an 18" and 20" HBAR. I used a 6 position collapsible with two 20" HBAR uppers for a shot period of time. I had to fill the battery storage compartment with lead shot tov get some balance back - still was only better, not good. A 20" HBAR is typically more of a precision arm so a solid stock is needed. The time I had the collapsible stock with the two long HBAR upper setups I couldn't get consistent groups. Going to the A2 stock fixed that. Besides, I found myself always on position number 5 of the 6 position stock...same length as the A2. I don't see myself in body armor, doing entries (I use handgun for home defense), and light or heavy clothing didn't affect my adjustment.

The 16" HBAR with carbine length gas system has good balance even with the telescoping stock.

Agreed, the A2 stock provides excellent balance. I even like it for my Stag Model 8 which is exceptionally heavy up front.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Considering your location I would suggest checking out the inventory at Duffey's Gun Room. They will steer you in the right direction.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I would recommend a dissipator upper on your choice of lower. Rifle length sight radius and Handguards in a 16" barrel. By far my favorite configuration for an AR. I have 3 of them.

If you are set on a 20" rifle and want to buy complete, do not rule out Stag Arms. Lifetime warranty on the rifle including the barrel and can buy as an HBAR in the model 4. Just bought one and am awaiting shipment. If you are interested in considering one, I will give you my opinion of it when it arrives Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom