• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I have modern repro of a Kentucky Flintlink Rifle in .50 cal. It was made by Pendersoli. I bought it second hand off of gunbroker.

I consistently hit low and right. While I am very new to black powder I am not new to shooting. I can put five shots in a 3 inch group at 50 yards.

Here is my question. I am consistently low. Is there any way to adjust my load to bring the point of impact up. at 50 yards I should not be dropping 5-6 inches.

I am using lead round balls and have experimented with .015 and .010 pre lubed patches. (no difference noted)
    I am shooting FFF pyrodex and have experimented with between 65 and 80 grains.
    I use FFFF in the flash pan.

I know I can file the front sight but before I do something to the gun I want to look at other options.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    How much powder?
    Upping the charge (assuming you have that option & aren't at a maximum charge) should help with the vertical & drifting the rear should fix the horizontal.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    How much powder?
    Upping the charge (assuming you have that option & aren't at a maximum charge) should help with the vertical & drifting the rear should fix the horizontal.

I will try that... I have been working around 75 grains. I will work it up and see if that changes things.

Where can I find load data?

C

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Where can I find load data?
    You've been working with no load data?
    That is incredibly stupid.
    Try the manufacturer/retailer for loads before doing anything dafter. Given the manner in which you are approaching this I honestly don't feel I can give you any load data.

i -
    you are right will follow you@ )
    I'm sorry, I have absolutely no idea what that means????

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    No need to be rude.
    I understand the concept of loading and pressure and not exceeding safe limits.
    I was given information by a trusted source of where to start.

I started lower than where I was told to start and worked up.
    Before exceeding what I was told I thought I would come a place where I could ask questions. I thought I could do it with out being ridiculed.

Thank you for the suggestion of the manufactures website.
    For the record, I was loading well with in specs.

Given the manner in which you responded I don't feel I can take and load data from you... so I guess that works out.

Just be careful when adding additional powder as the age of the gun may suggest not to. My fathers older flintlock only recommended using a max of 90grs of any powder, so some google-foo about your gun would be a great way to try and find load data. You will probably find what others recommend using for best results too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom