• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So, a question for those who may have tried this. My AR-10 currently has an AGB. I forget the brand. It is set down around minimum. No functional issues suppressed or unsuppressed. Suppressed it could certainly go a couple of clicks down, but I don't bother messing with it because it is a set screw time and pretty much impossible to get to the set screw with the handguard on. I have an Aero precision AGB sitting in a box for the last year. At some point I'd like to install it on my AR-10. I'd also like to install them on my other ARs for softer suppressed shooting and less port pop. I could do the same, just turn it all the way down till it doesn't lock back, open it up a couple more and I'd imagine it'll run fun suppressed or unsuppressed. But of course, it could still do better being closed up a little suppressed.

None of the AGBs, Aero or otherwise, to the best of my knowledge, have a way of setting fixed positions. So it isn't like you can have an upper and lower range set for suppressed or unsuppressed. You just have to count the clicks. Which, IMHO, I personally worry over. I get there is tactile as well as audible feedback.

All of my ARs the gas block is right about the end of the handguard (for instance, I run a 12" handguard on my 16" barrels, a 13.5" on my 20"). So it is easy to access and easy to see the gas block end. My thought was when adjusted properly to the unsuppressed setting, and once I've had a few range trips to make sure it really is a good setting, mark the gas block and the adjustment screw with a high temperature paint pen so I can also visually confirm when it is at the right setting. I don't think I'd mark anything for the suppressed setting. Just easy to confirm when it is set to unsuppressed and easy to confirm if I turned it the right direction for suppressed shooting, and that I set it back after shooting suppressed.

Thoughts? Anyone do anything like this? Am I probably over thinking this (well, yes of course)?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If you need to adjust, something like the riflespeed block is pretty nice, and has marked numbers with an extension, so it can be adjusted without tools. Personally, I use a buffer setup that is heavy enough to be reliable and smooth over a wider range of conditions, so basically set the gas to run reliably without a can, and if it runs well with a can, that is where it stays.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you need to adjust, something like the riflespeed block is pretty nice, and has marked numbers with an extension, so it can be adjusted without tools. Personally, I use a buffer setup that is heavy enough to be reliable and smooth over a wider range of conditions, so basically set the gas to run reliably without a can, and if it runs well with a can, that is where it stays.
    I think I'd seen those awhile back. I appreciate the suggestions. At least from what I've read, the Aero AGBs work very well. They are currently on sale for $46 at a few places (Aim and Brownell's at least), which means I can drop one on every AR I own for about the cost or less than a single Riflespeed block. But those Riflespeed blocks do look very nice.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I think I'd seen those awhile back. I appreciate the suggestions. At least from what I've read, the Aero AGBs work very well. They are currently on sale for $46 at a few places (Aim and Brownell's at least), which means I can drop one on every AR I own for about the cost or less than a single Riflespeed block. But those Riflespeed blocks do look very nice.
    Have an Aero, it works, but their early blocks had an adjustment screw that was too short, and wouldn't cut off gas, they also would crack in half on occasion being the cutouts on the sides and a bad heat treat made them weak. Everything else I have an AGB on is either Superlative or SLR, most lesser blocks either seize, leak excessively or break. Outside of counting clicks, there isn't much you can do, really wish they would include larger knurled/dimpled screws that could be adjusted easier without a specific allen key.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Have an Aero, it works, but their early blocks had an adjustment screw that was too short, and wouldn't cut off gas, they also would crack in half on occasion being the cutouts on the sides and a bad heat treat made them weak. Everything else I have an AGB on is either Superlative or SLR, most lesser blocks either seize, leak excessively or break. Outside of counting clicks, there isn't much you can do, really wish they would include larger knurled/dimpled screws that could be adjusted easier without a specific allen key.
    I agree wholeheartedly, especially on your last. The long Allen wrench is nice, since a lot of people bury their gas blocks under long handguards, but the way I use mine, I just want something that just barely covers my gas block, without the extra weight of a longer handguard. So, a knurled knob would be pretty easy for me to stick my fingers in the end and adjust.

I hadn't heard that about their earlier blocks. I wonder if the one I have sitting around in packaging still is one of those. I guess I won't stick that one on anything too critical :-)

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom