• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    I want to transfer it to his name so he knows the responsiblity of owning a firearm. And also because I own two security clearances and want to do things correctly.

The 500 is not a regulated firearm so there is no "transfer" involved. No registration, no 4473. As others have already stated, just give it to him as a gift!

As long as he is not a prohibited person (and I assume you would know that) you will have completed all the necessary requirements of him "owning" his own shotgun.

BTW...your security clearance doesn't come into play in this at all unless you commit an illegal act w/ the gift giving AND you self-report or get caught! Been processing clearances and derogatory information for the better part of 40 years now. Have never understood why so many "cleared" individuals think that firearm purchases/transfers have any bearing on the clearance or that their clearance has any issue w/ a NICS check.

Hope your son enjoys his gift. :)

As long as the shotgun is legal in MD, you both are MD residents, he's not a prohibited person, the shotgun doesn't fall into the copy cat, it has a stock (no stubby or pistol grips), and it isn't a NFA item then yes you can transfer it.

Or at least I think you can.

It would help to post what it is.
    @ name taken - just food for thought what if the shotgun was sold as an "other" on the 4473?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    @ name taken - just food for thought what if the shotgun was sold as an "other" on the 4473?

"Other" on a 4473 is reserved for items that are frames/receivers or things that can't be classified as a rifle or pistol. Generally those that are marked as "Other" on a 4473 are sold to 21+, due to the ability to make a pistol out of the frame/receivers. If an FFL can confirm or correct me on this, it would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom