• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021

Risk factors identified by the algorithm to be predictive of firearm suicide included:

• older age
    • first-time firearm purchaser
    • white race
    • living in close proximity to the gun dealer
    • purchasing a revolver
    "While limiting access to firearms among individuals at increased risk for suicide presents a critical opportunity to save lives, accurately identifying those at risk remains a key challenge. Our results suggest the potential utility of handgun records in identifying high-risk individuals to aid suicide prevention," said Hannah S. Laqueur, an assistant professor in the Department of Emergency Medicine and lead author of the study.

Additional authors of the study include Colette Smirniotis, Christopher McCort and Garen J. Wintemute from the VPRO and the California Firearm Violence Research Center.

Without going into the weeds of how AI data training works, I can train and overfit an AI algorithm to conclude anything I want. Or in this case, whatever gun prohibitionist Garen J. Wintemute wants.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    First 2 items: Older age and buying first firearm

To improve mental health, start buying guns early and often.
    I'm doing my part.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    So how do you argue against a machine, I mean lets just say they implement it how do you prove it wrong?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    So how do you argue against a machine, I mean lets just say they implement it how do you prove it wrong?

When machines can determine whether we are eligible for a specific right, it will be time to replace all the courts with computers.

Then wait for the Carrington Event. (Or help it along. Stuxnet comes to mind).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They need AI to tell them all of that?

• older age
    • white race
    • purchasing a revolver
    A quick check of statistics says that the largest demographic that commits suicide are white older males.

Next logical leap, many people committing suicide don't happen to have a bunch of guns to start with, so they go out and buy the one gun to commit suicide with. Which is likely to be the cheapest thing to buy, which is likely to be a cheap revolver. Also being in close proximity to a gun dealer means it is easier for them to purchase said gun, versus living an hour or two away from a gun shop.

Because most people who commit suicide make relatively spur of the moment decisions, so the longer it takes to acquire the method of suicide, the less likely they are to commit suicide.

I do actually support waiting periods for a very FIRST purchase of a firearm for this reason. After that, you already have the means, there is zero reason to delay any other purchase.

But I am shocked it took them an AI to tell them this (and yes, I am extremely familiar with how AI training works, so also no shocker it told them what they wanted it to tell them, but a ******* sophomore in high school with 30 minutes and internet access should be able to draw the same conclusions and put together a nice power point presentation about it for you).

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    They need AI to tell them all of that?

• older age
    • white race
    • purchasing a revolver
    A quick check of statistics says that the largest demographic that commits suicide are white older males.

Next logical leap, many people committing suicide don't happen to have a bunch of guns to start with, so they go out and buy the one gun to commit suicide with. Which is likely to be the cheapest thing to buy, which is likely to be a cheap revolver. Also being in close proximity to a gun dealer means it is easier for them to purchase said gun, versus living an hour or two away from a gun shop.

Because most people who commit suicide make relatively spur of the moment decisions, so the longer it takes to acquire the method of suicide, the less likely they are to commit suicide.

I do actually support waiting periods for a very FIRST purchase of a firearm for this reason. After that, you already have the means, there is zero reason to delay any other purchase.

But I am shocked it took them an AI to tell them this (and yes, I am extremely familiar with how AI training works, so also no shocker it told them what they wanted it to tell them, but a ******* sophomore in high school with 30 minutes and internet access should be able to draw the same conclusions and put together a nice power point presentation about it for you).
    LMAO. but we had 41 predictor variables!

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    You think they would be happy that Old White Gunowners were offing themselves

All that money that DHS will save on adjudication, transpiration, incarceration and extermination of those deemed obsolete and unredeemable for re-education.

Plus all the SSA and Generational wealth that can be confiscated for the financing of the replacement population of illegal immigrants.

Sounds like the liberals of UC-Davis aren’t looking at the long game.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

Answer to that - for me - appears in title (“garbage in garbage out”).

AND the OP asserts (quite accurately) a machine can be programmed to reach any conclusion the programmer wants … I’ll add a sad fact nowadays is that ethics and true science is as lost on anti-2A academics as “journalism” has been to the tabloid “zinger” mainstream media …

“Friggen morons“ said it all …

OTOH, THIS GUY is and his true researchers are the absolute BANE of anti-2A liars in academia and the mainstream media (and well, WELL-DESERVING of donations $upport!):

Crime Prevention Research Center​

Dedicated to conducting academic quality research on the relationship between laws regulating the ownership or use of guns, crime, and public safety:

https://crimeresearch.org/

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I'm skeptical that this is really "AI" at all. It's just applying algorithms created by programmers who have been given some statistics to incorporate into programs.

But today, "AI" is all the rage, so anybody who claims to use or develop it has instant fame.

Elon Musk has already warned us.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Answer to that - for me - appears in title (“garbage in garbage out”).

AND the OP asserts (quite accurately) a machine can be programmed to reach any conclusion the programmer wants … I’ll add a sad fact nowadays is that ethics and true science is as lost on anti-2A academics as “journalism” has been to the tabloid “zinger” mainstream media …

“Friggen morons“ said it all …

OTOH, THIS GUY is and his true researchers are the absolute BANE of anti-2A liars in academia and the mainstream media (and well, WELL-DESERVING of donations $upport!):

Crime Prevention Research Center​

Dedicated to conducting academic quality research on the relationship between laws regulating the ownership or use of guns, crime, and public safety:

https://crimeresearch.org/

I agree but society as whole have been led to the trough that is "computers" and told to trust them.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I agree but society as whole have been led to the trough that is "computers" and told to trust them.
    Trust them to do what? Make decisions, as opposed to compile, sort, and process information?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Trust them to do what? Make decisions, as opposed to compile, sort, and process information?
    All of it. Some of us sane people have an understanding of computers. But to the masses they think they are "magic" and some of the experts pushing things like AI also think they are "magic" and can cure all the worlds ills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom