Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Interested in this as well.

PSA recently had BCG and CH combos for under $100. I need one for my 3 hunnit blackout build but haven't purchased on yet.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Typically, the AIM phosphate BCG's have been good value for money.

No experience with the NiB units, simply because I don't use them for my own reasons. No input on the melonited offering either.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I have one of the Nitride versions. I have seen no problems with it so far ( approx. 500 rds.). Picked it up really cheap from a guy at the range that was selling a bunch of new AR stuff he wasn't going to use. It does clean up pretty easy.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The AIM BCG uses 9310 Tool Steel for the bolt, and the PSA offering is using Carpenter No. 158 steel for its bolt. For better or worse, I have always gone with the Carpenter steel.

[EDIT forgot, the PSA BCG is chrome-lined]

Last edited:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Of the 2 the nitride is better, but I would not get either. NiB sucks

PSA has Phosphated/Chrome Lined for $100.00

http://palmettostatearmory.com/palm...remium-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-8779.html

Chad beat me to it.

I have two of these BCGs in rifles (one a 16" carbine gas 5.56 and one an 8.5" pistol gas .300BLK SBR) and they have treated me well. I've got a third in the safe as a spare.

If you watch the price on them, it fluctuates regularly. I've gotten them as cheap as about $70 each in pre-Christmas sales, but they're frequently down to $80 or so in regular sales.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    The AIM BCG uses 9310 Tool Steel for the bolt, and the PSA offering is using Carpenter No. 158 steel for its bolt. For better or worse, I have always gone with the Carpenter steel.

[EDIT forgot, the PSA BCG is chrome-lined]

the AIM phosphate BCGs are also chrome-lined, and none of mine (half a dozen?) have gas key issues--be it torque OR staking. not that either is a difficult fix, of course, and I've even seen Colt BCGs that weren't torqued properly.

it's not about one brand or another's online reputation, per se....any of the "standard" units out there (BCM, Colt, PSA, AIM phosphate, Toolcraft) will work fine. It's more about whether you know what to check when it arrives, and how to correct any issues that may arise when checking it.

The only thing to truly avoid is anything that comes with a single-piece gas ring. That's just asking for trouble.

goterps

Jun 23, 2015
    I have the second one of the two you posted the black 9310 BCG, it performed with no issues at the range.

I was trying to decide if I should go AIM again for my current in progress build or maybe do a BCM BCG.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I ordered 4 of them last week. One for a current build the others for the parts bin.

If my experience is any indicatior, you'll be happy. Well over 500 rounds with no issues. Can't beat it IMO.

I'll toss in Cryptic Coatings into the mix. Commercial side of Toolcraft (Mil OEM)

$110 for mang phos or nitride. http://www.crypticcoatings.com/coated-bolt-carrier-group/

Unfortunately they sell out very quick.

I've not seen many reviews about these. Are they any good?

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    I haven't heard anything bad. They have zero marketing AFAIK. The finish on mine was flawless. Made me think there was something wrong with my other BCGs.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    If my experience is any indicatior, you'll be happy. Well over 500 rounds with no issues. Can't beat it IMO.

I've not seen many reviews about these. Are they any good?

A quick google of "toolcraft bcg" yields plenty of information. They're superb, and the likely OEM for a lot of other companies out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom