• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psubowhunter

Sep 18, 2012
    Hi all,
    I am a new member here and just moved to Maryland. After a year of paying taxes I will officially be a Marylander and lose most of my 2nd Amendment rights PA has provided me.

My question, can I bring an AK 47 to Maryland? I did some reading and found that AK 47 are banned from MD in all forms. Was wondering if the magazine loophole applied here. For example, with a magazine it is illegal to buy, sell, or transfer high cap mags in the state but it's legal to own them. Could it be illegal to buy, sell, and transfer AKs in Maryland, but legal to own?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    You have misread the law.

AK's are regulated not banned. This is apparently a common misconception.
    All this means is you have to be over 21 and are subject to the pistol rules when transferring.

You can bring yours in from out of state, no paper work required.

Hi all,
    I am a new member here and just moved to Maryland. After a year of paying taxes I will officially be a Marylander and lose most of my 2nd Amendment rights PA has provided me.

My question, can I bring an AK 47 to Maryland? I did some reading and found that AK 47 are banned from MD in all forms. Was wondering if the magazine loophole applied here. For example, with a magazine it is illegal to buy, sell, or transfer high cap mags in the state but it's legal to own them. Could it be illegal to buy, sell, and transfer AKs in Maryland, but legal to own?

psubowhunter

Sep 18, 2012
    Thanks guys. But I have another question. Could I bring the 75 round drum mags in as well legally if they were purchased in PA?

87Theworld

Nov 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Your moving in the wrong direction or at least the wrong stop. :lol2: Get all your 30+ mags now unless you visit PA often enough to pick up some. You can pretty much own anything just have to go through some of MDs hassle of owning.

87Theworld

Nov 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Hi all,

They wanted to ban AK/ARs with hi cap mags. Good thing our elected can't write a decent law that works cuz that would really suck for 2A.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    You have misread the law.

AK's are regulated not banned. This is apparently a common misconception.
    All this means is you have to be over 21 and are subject to the pistol rules when transferring.

You can bring yours in from out of state, no paper work required.

Wouldn't you have to transfer though the msp like you would a handgun. Granted I am anything but an expect on this topic as I have never done it.

Thanks
    Robert

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    Wouldn't you have to transfer though the msp like you would a handgun. Granted I am anything but an expect on this topic as I have never done it.

Thanks
    Robert

Transfers are only for change of ownership. if you already own the firearm you are good to go with very little exceptions like firearms that are specifically banned (assault pistol list) or if your under 21 you can't possess a regulated firearm (all pistols and some evil rifles).

You can possess and use any magazine you want in MD you just can't buy them in Maryland or transfer them to anyone while in the state.

So the jist of it is, you can bring pretty much anything you already own from out of state without having to do any paperwork as long as its not on the assault pistol list.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    No law that says you have to register your guns when you move to MD. Bring it and all the hi cap mags you can.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Thanks guys. But I have another question. Could I bring the 75 round drum mags in as well legally if they were purchased in PA?

Of course you can.

You can bring your belt fed machine guns too and also all your supressors and
    sawed off shotguns because we are a Class III state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom