• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Wondering what most people do on here for the AK actioned rifles.

My AR gets lubed while my M1A gets greased.

The AK's actions looks like it should be greased due to the bolt sliding back and fourt however they ship with a bottle to hold oil based lube.

I've watched a few youtube video's for the basic break down and oiling of the rifle and some are using CLP type liquid oil and others are putting grease on them.

So what say you?

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    AK's like motor oil, but use damned little.Some molly lube on the slides if you must, but less is more. The bolt and extractor are what need a light oiling the most.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Lube with Motor Oil, preferrably from Europe.

Clean with Russian Vodka.

Clean Bore with Urine after drinking alot of Russian Vodka. Knotted Soviet Bootlaces work best as a bore snake.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I have a Yugo and I've just been using regular Hoppes on the rails and lightly spray the bolt/charging handle contact areas with Rem-oil. It seems to work good enough. I stared feeding my AK caviar (brass cased stuff) as I usually don't shoot more than about 20 rounds per session, and it really keeps the fouling down.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County

Clean Bore with Urine after drinking alot of Russian Vodka. Knotted Soviet Bootlaces work best as a bore snake.

I was going to say, "In Soviet Russia, AK cleans/lubes YOU!", but this was much funnier.

Seriously though, I didn't think AKs really needed much in the way of cleaning/lubing. Isn't that part of their appeal? (Aside from all the awesome Soviet/Russian jokes.)

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery

...use bayonet as can opener, screwdriver, butcher knife, and shaving razor.

God what a great weapon!!

adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    AK Lube

Mike Rogers at Lone Star Arms told me to take an olive jar, put an inch or so of synthetic motor oil in the jar, I used 5W20, and a small paint brush in the jar. Paint a very small amount on the rails and lugs then shoot all day. I keep the jar sealed and in my range box.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I've used essentially nothing for well over 20 years and never had a problem. I keep a rag in my cleaning kit and I use it for cleaning every rifle and pistol. Over time it gets black and oily. When it gets grungyfunkygritty I replace it. Until that time, I just use it to wipe down the internals of everything I shoot before reassembly. Good enough for Communist stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom