• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    I am in need of some AK74 mags for my SGL 31-95. I prefer standard capacity over low capacity mags. Also I dont care if the mags are metal or polymer I just want reliability.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Bulgarian military mags, marked with a number in a circle. Right now they are expensive but just a year ago they were going for under $10 each used. Buy a couple at $35 each now and wait for prices to drop again.

Metal Tantal mags are also nice but a bit rarer.

Everything else is US domestic... OK for range mags but not built for abuse. Tapcos will work fine for now.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    x2 they are really high right now. I also have a 31-95 and bought another pair of bulgy circle 10s online (Atlantic firearms??) IIRC were ~$40ea. Work just like the one that came w/ it.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    top tip-

watch ar15.com, akfiles etc for Ak-74's for sale. Usually people will try to include multiple mags to get a crappy century 74 build to sell. You can buy the gun with the mags and usually resell the gun for a little less than you paid with one mag. you have to keep an eye open for the deals and be quick!

raider80

Nov 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    How are the Bulgarian New production made for commercial i.e.

http://www.copesdistributing.com/bulgarian-545x39-30rd-black-polymer-production-p-7013.html?osCsid=7c2bf3e08mrgl1s3ggndoit844[/URL]

I am in same as OP

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Hmm, they say they have steel reinforced lips. I've read some accounts on akfiles of the commercial ones not having those. In the pics it looks like the lips might be inside the mags and not molded in all the way around like the origs. But hard to tell w/ that pic. Still has to be better than a tapco;)

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County

http://www.copesdistributing.com/bulgarian-545x39-30rd-black-polymer-production-p-7013.html?osCsid=7c2bf3e08mrgl1s3ggndoit844[/URL]

I am in same as OP

Awesome, Thanks raider!

Has anyone bought and tested the polymer Bulgarian mags?

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD

I am in same as OP

I'm in the same boat. Would like to order a couple of these mags but the little disclaimer says they will not ship to anyone with a billing address in MD.:mad54:

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    I just saw a review on them and it seems that a lot of people say they are only good for the range. Apparently they break if you drop them full loaded.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I just saw a review on them and it seems that a lot of people say they are only good for the range. Apparently they break if you drop them full loaded.
    The problem people have with those particular mags is that the lugs aren't steel-reinforced. Dropping a loaded mag isn't going to be a problem; dropping your rifle with a loaded mag in it could be, as the lugs might shear.

For the money, eh, that's not so bad, but if you can get the Tapcos cheaper, I'd probably just go with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom