• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Haven't pulled this one out of the safe in a couple of years. Always one of my favorite rifles both aesthetically and fun to shoot. Saiga 7.62 AK conversion bought way back around 2003 for the price of about $199.99 and converted in 2009 or 2010. Sadly there aren’t any more of these to be had in MD, with what happened to their values I wish I’d bought a bunch when they were on the racks locally.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      104.6 KB · Views: 278

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’ve transferred enough of them to catch the fever. Who knows how long we’ll be able to get them. When bought the rifles I didn’t think there was going to be a ban but really happy I got them when I did. That’s what made me at last jump on the pistol.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    Haven't pulled this one out of the safe in a couple of years. Always one of my favorite rifles both aesthetically and fun to shoot. Saiga 7.62 AK conversion bought way back around 2003 for the price of about $199.99 and converted in 2009 or 2010. Sadly there aren’t any more of these to be had in MD, with what happened to their values I wish I’d bought a bunch when they were on the racks locally.
    I have never seen a Saiga with a non dimpled receiver. Also while the front trunnion rivet pattern appears normal for “Euro” builds, the rear trunnion looks like a mix of underfolder and fixed with a extra right by the trigger. Who is the importer? My interest is definitely piqued now as I always look for obscure variants. Sweet rifle and some nice wood too!

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I have never seen a Saiga with a non dimpled receiver. Also while the front trunnion rivet pattern appears normal for “Euro” builds, the rear trunnion looks like a mix of underfolder and fixed with a extra right by the trigger. Who is the importer? My interest is definitely piqued now as I always look for obscure variants. Sweet rifle and some nice wood too!
    Wood that gives you Wood.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Standard type of receiver around that time, look up pics online also and you’ll see the same in all the older ones but I’m not sure when this changed. This one was bought new as a Saiga sporting rifle in 2003, importer back then was EAA.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    Standard type of receiver around that time, look up pics online also and you’ll see the same in all the older ones but I’m not sure when this changed. This one was bought new as a Saiga sporting rifle in 2003, importer back then was EAA.
    So after going thru the history of imports, it would seem that this was a standard example due to the AWB of ‘94. When originally purchased what was its configuration of “features”?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    So after going thru the history of imports, it would seem that this was a standard example due to the AWB of ‘94. When originally purchased what was its configuration of “features”?
    They looked like this unmodified example.

Attachments

• CCC71A30-DC24-4BF3-B44D-D5C951AD38A7.jpeg
      CCC71A30-DC24-4BF3-B44D-D5C951AD38A7.jpeg
      28.3 KB · Views: 102

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I bought a 308 Saiga, I think back in 2008, and paid about $700. An unconverted Saiga is the worst trigger I have ever put my finger on, hands down.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    That would explain the “extra” rivets where the FCG was originally. It’s crazy to think how expensive these have gotten over the years.
    Ah ok- those are actually just heat resistant nylon plugs made to fill the holes, IIRC they were part of a kit that was made back then to complete the build while maintaining required USC 922r compliance. Wasn’t too difficult to do overall. Wish I had bought more of them at the 2003 price point.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    Ah ok- those are actually just heat resistant nylon plugs made to fill the holes, IIRC they were part of a kit that was made back then to complete the build while maintaining required USC 922r compliance. Wasn’t too difficult to do overall. Wish I had bought more of them at the 2003 price point.
    That would have been a better investment than just about any asset class. Unfortunately I don’t think we will ever see Russian imports coming in, probably never. I was into the Chinese imports back in the day and missed out on the Russian ones. I did get the variety of Molots offerings, other than the 5.56 RPK.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    That would have been a better investment than just about any asset class. Unfortunately I don’t think we will ever see Russian imports coming in, probably never. I was into the Chinese imports back in the day and missed out on the Russian ones. I did get the variety of Molots offerings, other than the 5.56 RPK.
    Only downside to them are the mags which were unique with the feeding. Surefire made USA made mags which work well and helped with 922r but were hard to find and I have a bunch so haven’t looked at pricing or availability since about 10yrs ago.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    Only downside to them are the mags which were unique with the feeding. Surefire made USA made mags which work well and helped with 922r but were hard to find and I have a bunch so haven’t looked at pricing or availability since about 10yrs ago.
    They don’t take standard double stacked magazines? Is it a single stack trunnion or something else, as why?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    They don’t take standard double stacked magazines? Is it a single stack trunnion or something else, as why?
    As memory serves- the standard double stacks don’t work as there is a feed ramp built into the factory Saiga mags. I recall some folks have modified the receiver to add one, but the Surefire mags have the same ramp built in as factory and work flawlessly.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    As memory serves- the standard double stacks don’t work as there is a feed ramp built into the factory Saiga mags. I recall some folks have modified the receiver to add one, but the Surefire mags have the same ramp built in as factory and work flawlessly.
    I appreciate you sharing and passing some knowledge to me about the Saiga. This has renewed my interest in converting the one I have into the 103 configuration I’ve been holding off on doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom