• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Who's got what?

I'm going to have a flat bending jig in my possession when the compliance parts get here.

I believe drmsparks purchased an AK-builder rivet jig....

I'm too tired right now to list all the other possible tools for ak-building... But who's got what?

tpy77

Ultimate Member
    Sep 27, 2007
    P.G. Co.
    Needed for Screw Builds

Dave,
    You mentioned doing a partial screw build today. Below is something on the screws and what else is needed. As i've said, I wanted to do a screw build What about the taps?

----------------
    The screws in this kit are all fully threaded with a Socket Button Head Cap. All of the screws are alloy steel and have a black-oxide finish and the nuts have a zinc plating.

Contains:

(6) 10-32 x 1/4 screws for the front trunion
    (6) 10-32 x 3/8 screws for the rear trunion and cross member
    (1) 8-32 x 1/4 screw for the rear trigger guard
    (4) 8-32 x 3/8 screws for the front trigger guard
    (5) 8-32 x 1/4 zinc plated undersized machine screw hex nut
    (1) Cross member support

Tools required (NOT INCLUDED) Drill Bits:
    - # 21 - for 10-32 Screws
    - # 29 - for 8-32 Screws
    Taps:
    - 8-32 Taper
    - 10-32 Taper
    - 10-32 Bottoming (when tapping trunion with barrel installed)
    Hex Wrench
    - 1/8 and 3/32

I have Hex Wrenches

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    i got a 12ton press, bucking plates, 5/32 ball end mill, grinders, vice, hammers, punches, air brush, everything i needed to do my builds.

I just wish i had 1 extra arm w/ hand.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Dave,
    You mentioned doing a partial screw build today. Below is something on the screws and what else is needed. As i've said, I wanted to do a screw build What about the taps?

----------------
    The screws in this kit are all fully threaded with a Socket Button Head Cap. All of the screws are alloy steel and have a black-oxide finish and the nuts have a zinc plating.

Contains:

(6) 10-32 x 1/4 screws for the front trunion
    (6) 10-32 x 3/8 screws for the rear trunion and cross member
    (1) 8-32 x 1/4 screw for the rear trigger guard
    (4) 8-32 x 3/8 screws for the front trigger guard
    (5) 8-32 x 1/4 zinc plated undersized machine screw hex nut
    (1) Cross member support

Tools required (NOT INCLUDED) Drill Bits:
    - # 21 - for 10-32 Screws
    - # 29 - for 8-32 Screws
    Taps:
    - 8-32 Taper
    - 10-32 Taper
    - 10-32 Bottoming (when tapping trunion with barrel installed)
    Hex Wrench
    - 1/8 and 3/32

I have Hex Wrenches

http://screwkit.net/screwkit/ScrewKit.html
    This is the best place for screw builds and the neccesary taps etc... (Check the "Super Special" at the very bottom of the page)

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I've got two extra arms with hands........ no brains to go with them though-sorry.

When can we all get together to do a de-mill?

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    What kind of build are you doing?

I've got three different types - but receivers were only available for two....:sad20:

I'm doing a Romy G and a Yugo M72 (both fixed stock). Still on the waiting list for an NDS-Y556 receiver (M95).

Planning on rivet builds for all- once I see what others are doing- I may have a change of heart. Too early to tell, but I'm still ordering rivet kits for all.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I've got three different types - but receivers were only available for two....:sad20:

I'm doing a Romy G and a Yugo M72 (both fixed stock). Still on the waiting list for an NDS-Y556 receiver (M95).

Planning on rivet builds for all- once I see what others are doing- I may have a change of heart. Too early to tell, but I'm still ordering rivet kits for all.

Ahhh so you're going to need to press out your barrel and fully drill the trunnions...

This is why I went with weld builds...no drilling of the trunnions, no pressing of the barrel...just line it up and weld it :party29:

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Ahhh so you're going to need to press out your barrel and fully drill the trunnions...

This is why I went with weld builds...no drilling of the trunnions, no pressing of the barrel...just line it up and weld it :party29:

If that's the way it had to be done - so be it. I've got an extra Romy kit, in case I mess something up......:innocent0

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    would you then refinish with duracoat or something similar

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=4713

I used Gunkote, it was really cheap from midway, the 8 oz bottle should do 4 rifles.I think it was like $12 or less. It seems to be really durable, way nicer than i expected it to be. I've painted cars, houses, steel, powdercoated rims........ This stuff was the beezkneez. I was able to bake in my oven, no stink, and i used an old airbrush that my artist MIL had laying around. On my xd9, the finish looks factory.

As far as screw builds and weld builds, you guys are making mountains out of mole hills. If you are making your own reciever, screw/weld is no big deal. But if you are buying a 100% reciever, going the extra step to rivet makes your rifle an investment. If you are buying your own tools, screws might be cheaper, but i'm willing to loan any tools and show you all how its done. So with all the tools , all it will cost you is $9 of rivets, and a few drill bits.

I forgot to mention, i also have the headspace gauges, and they work well, especially if you dont have matching # kits.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    got some tools, and would love to bring em to a build party...

bending jig, shop press, spot welder, long rivet jig, trigger guard rivet jig, sand-blasting cabinet

Anyone got a park set-up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom