• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patriot001

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2013
    Anyone with 1st knowledge about ak47 recoil buffers, your insight would be greatly appreciate: is it worth installing this on your AK47? It seems to me that you lose about a third of an inch, would this screw up the cycling/ loading process? As with all things Ak I'm getting mixed stories, so of you have actually used one of these I would appreciate your feedback. Another thing as well, is it normal for the bolt carrier area that enters the gas tube have the bluing on the right side scratched off? I heard this carrier group is slightly offset on all Aks, and wondering if this is the cause, or something else?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Ive had a recoil buffer in my AK since I bought it in the late 90's...I think it helps...and no it doesn't affect anything except felt recoil. Ive had zero FTF, FTE from this weapon...I personally like it in there. And it doesn't seem to be wearing out...Ive shot thousands of rounds through my ak..

patriot001

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2013
    Thanks y'all, I think ill buy another buffer spring, and attach it to that one. That thing is a b****, and a half to put on/take off, I heard it messes up your gun, but I may have been trolled.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    the actual recoil buffer, as in the polymer wedge you put at the rear of the receiver cover, does little to nothing of benefit and often serves to reduce reliability in terms of feeding from the magazine. putting a spacer in that doesn't allow the bolt carrier to go all the way back means the bolt itself also is not going all the way back.

just get a new recoil spring and start there.

patriot001

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2013
    Ferret, the spring is fine, I just heard that it reduces recoil, and adds to the overall life of the weapon. 240 Do you mean Mac10? Htf did you get that in Md?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Really? None of my MAKs have them but then I missed the boat to buy them new...

The "buffers are bad, mkay" argument goes like this: the AK is designed to have the bolt carrier move almost all the way to the rear trunnion, then forward under the force of the recoil spring. If you put a piece of rubber in between the two, it exerts force through the buffer onto the rear trunnion, and then back again onto the bolt carrier. This risks deforming the rear rivets and accelerating the bolt carrier which can cause feeding problems.

I experienced neither issue using buffers for a few years. But the AK wasn't designed to use them, and if your recoil spring is too weak for the rifle all they do is mask the issue until something else fails. Which is why everyone is saying change the recoil spring.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    This could be caused by the gas piston canting the carrier due to any number of components being out of alignment. Not uncommon, and probably not anything to stress about unless it's really bad.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    the actual recoil buffer, as in the polymer wedge you put at the rear of the receiver cover, does little to nothing of benefit and often serves to reduce reliability in terms of feeding from the magazine. putting a spacer in that doesn't allow the bolt carrier to go all the way back means the bolt itself also is not going all the way back.

:thumbsup: Well said sir. A buffer will also sometimes place extra stress on the receiver, since it might cause the bolt carrier to constantly transfer impacts to the receiver that might otherwise be avoided.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Ferret, the spring is fine, I just heard that it reduces recoil, and adds to the overall life of the weapon. 240 Do you mean Mac10? Htf did you get that in Md?

with a tax stamp..... NFA items are not covered in MDs assault pistol law. Yes, I was referring to the MAC 10 series of pistols. The MAC has a high recoil [especially in 45] and all the ones I have seen [Including new production masterpiece arms models] have that rubber recoil reducing pad at the back of the receiver. I have never tried to shoot it without it, but I guess if they are still including it in the design, then the factory must believe that they work.

patriot001

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2013
    Rob cubed my gas piston is off set by a fraction of an inch, but it still shoots straight. Hopefully I don't have to take her to the gun doctors.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

I think you are thinking of the sks...it is in the back of the receiver cover. AK is on the bolt spring itself.

I bought my Mak90 new...put one in and never took it out..I guess its a fluke Ive never had any issues with it feeding, firing or cleaning...:sad20:the bolt goes back plenty to bump fire 30rd mags with out stopping...YMMV I guess...

certain AK's brand is called MAK90's, LIke maadi, Romak etc...

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I think you are thinking of the sks...it is in the back of the receiver cover. AK is on the bolt spring itself.

...and butts up against the receiver cover. i've been an ak owner for nearly a decade, i'm well familiar with the various parts available for them, to include the snake oil like this.

certain AK's brand is called MAK90's, LIke maadi, Romak etc...

There's no such "brand" of ak as a MAK90. it's a single Chinese model, not a brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom